Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

When Pigs Fly

2K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  LadyDi 
#1 ·
Just started reading this book by Jane Killion
So far seeing excellent results.....
It’s about training success with dogs..........
First I began with purchasing clickers...........and some high value training treats......soft treats.
The soft treats hoss could eat quickly.
And there is a reason for this....................you will see real soon.

#29 · (Edited)

So we are still practicing........hopefully you will notice our improvement. My timing with the clicker is getting better.
Hoss gets excited when I pick up the clicker........ready to work. I do similar practices in different rooms of the house. He is progressing........

what I like the most about this book and its practices is the simplicity and quick results. So far ...I am still reading.........I will continue to do this game as seen on todays video in different places ....as he gets better might take it outside where he will have more distractions....but doing the same exercise. Even mixing it up by using different items for him to touch for another week.

Looking ahead:

As I read into the next chapter in my training book “When Pigs Fly” the next step will be for me to sit back.....in a chair.........with a pocket full of treats and let him execute this game with me on his own. The goal of all of this is to keep his attention on me and encourage Hoss to think......what must I do to get the treat......and make it happen.
By then I should have a pup thats paying attention and ready to work. He should figure out what to do quickly to score his treat. Yummmmm bacon flavored kibble!!!! Works great Tricia.

#30 ·
Well this was a good week...although finding Hoss is getting distracted with my treat bag. So I took a step back......found a video from Kikopup....that illustrated how to reward Hoss when he looks at me and leaves the bag alone.............so worked with this exercise for a few days ....he picked up real fast things come to him a lot quicker when he ignores the treat pouch and watches me........I am hooked on this style of training.........ignore treat bag......looks to me........click....then treat.....yep......this is fun.

#33 · (Edited)
Love this book......real good for beginners who want to learn at home...... at their own pace.....

Things are coming along real good for Hoss and I............we have learned ..........we are able to move along alot quicker when he leaves my treat bag alone.........so will be posting a video real soon..........Hoss loves to play ball.........so I now have a couple of orange caution cones that he will touch ..........then I will click.......or a verbal "Yip" and he receives the ball as his reward.

Now understand what meadowcat was speaking of when she mentioned" She uses a clicker when teaching something new" ..........

Finding when introducing the orange cones into our game (something new .....he has to be released...then go touch the cone , then come to me for the reward) ....forcing him to remember several tasks......encouraging Hoss to THINK..........what must I do ...to get what I want.......its real funny to watch .....as sometimes he gets a little pissy and will Dobie smack the cone.........recently added a second cone....the other day for the first time.....he found a short cut ...you see......Hoss has to touch the cones with some part of his body........so he touches the first cone with snout.....then he backs up to the second cone and touches it with hind legs...!!! In Hoss's world much quicker route......
Appears he is thinking by mapping out how to get his reward in the quickest period of time.......Dober's time management at its best !!!
Amazing how thinking can help all of us ...even Dobers!!

initially yes ...used a clicker when he completed the process correctly to mark what he did ...as a way of confirming YES this is what I wanted him to do...........

We are finding the clicker has a very distinct sound and speeds up the learning process when introducing something "New" that's for sure ........ ........so once Hoss gets it (which takes just minutes of doing something 10-15 times) ........I am finding I can eliminate the clicker ......take it outside ......then use my "YIP" sounds to mark .....and follow up with a toy or sometimes a treat .........I mix it up so he never knows which he will get treat or toy..........food comes into our game if he seems to be losing focus ....So Trisha ....thanks for that bacon scented kibble recipe ... brings his brain back to me pronto..........(cook bacon place in ziplock baggie along with daily kibble this makes all the kibble smell like bacon). Hoss loves it...........

When I first started reading this book I thought OMG......I will have to carry a clicker all the time ??? Treats all the time ????
But noooooooooooooooooooooooo.......not true.....
So the 10 clickers I purchased ........have turned into beer whistles for my husband.......
Hoss and I use the clickers to get fired up and focused ....and learn something new.
Now I know.......we use our clicker when bringing something new into our game.....we use food to keep Hoss guessing and interested.......
Life is good.........having alot of fun with new process.....because.......from the Human stand point ........
SEEING RESULTS SO MUCH FASTER.........and that gives me incentive to work more ............and get up off that couch !!!!!
That's my reward..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.