Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Dobermantalk Calendar April Entries - Dobes and Rain, Water, Sprinklers, Showers

3K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  LadyDi 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay everyone...the April 2020 theme is Dobes and Rain, Water, Sprinklers, Showers!

Also, please note we have placed a "sticky" in this forum with the themes for each month for 2020. This will give everyone a chance to get prepared with their photos!

PLEASE NOTE THESE CHANGES TO THE CONTEST RULES: Submissions will be open for the next 10 days (until April 21nd, 2019, 5:00 P.M. EST.) To enter, simply embed your photo in your post as a response to this thread. Also, this year we will be allowing people who win in one month to also enter and win in another month. So you will have two chances throughout the year to enter your photos!

Size of photos to submit in this thread MUST BE 640 x480 or less.

However, the original picture must be approx 3000 x 2000 pixels to enable it
to be large enough to print full size on the calendar. It must also be your own photograph. If you need help resizing or posting your image, contact a moderator and someone will help you.

Once the entries have closed, a moderator (different each month) will select the TOP 10 pictures.

These 10 pictures will then be voted on by the Dobermantalk members by way of a poll and the photo with the greatest amount of votes will be the winner. The poll will be posted for 5 days only.

One entry only per member.

Again, please re-size your photo to the appropriate dimensions before posting it. We have had some complaints about large photographs being posted and we need to keep it to a standard in order to be fair for everyone. If you need help resizing a photo or posting it please don't hesitate to PM a moderator.

Let's see those photos!

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Why Do Some Dogs Hate Rain?
By Langley Cornwell

Dogs are funny. Some of their behaviors seem contradictory unless you drill down and understand what’s behind certain choices. For instance, we’ve been having a lot of rain from tropical storms lately, and it’s been a full-time job trying to get my dogs to go out and do their business. But when it’s not raining, they love to splash in mud puddles and even enjoy swimming in lakes and pools. What gives? Wet is wet, right? Not so fast…

If your dog loves to swim but hates the rain, you may be confused by the logic of that. You may have even tried putting a raincoat on your dog to help convince him to head out the door. (Yes, I’ve even resorted to that.) This may have actually made the situation worse, and it’s not just because your dog doesn’t understand what the purpose of a raincoat is. It has more to do with the effect of the protective barrier.

Understanding the Hearing of Dogs

Believe it or not, dogs avoid the rain mostly because of the sound it makes. In fact, you might notice that your dog won’t even go out the front door onto a covered porch when it’s raining. That’s because the sound the rain makes when it hits the porch roof can be even worse than the rain hitting the ground.

Dogs can hear about four times as far away as humans can, but distance isn’t the only extreme. While humans have a range of hearing from 64-23,000 Hz, dogs have a much wider range of 67-45,000 Hz. In simple terms, this means that dogs hear much higher pitches than humans can. Think about the time you spun a rope around really fast and the sound it made. Things that move make sound waves with their movement. Those sound waves are sometimes at higher decibels than you can hear, but your dog can hear them. Whether it is the sound of the rain moving through the air or the sound of raindrops landing on objects nearby, it is overwhelming to dogs.

Puppies and Rain

If you have puppies in the house and you let them out to use the bathroom during the rain, you might notice that they have no hesitation. Most times, pups are more inclined to go out in the rain than their dams are. True, a cold rain might send a pup scurrying back to his mom, but pups younger than 21 days old are deaf, so they don’t share the same issues that older dogs have with rain. For these pups, the chill of the cold water hitting their tender skin is enough reason to run back to the warm scent of Mom, but a warm rain is of no concern.

Difference in Ear Shapes

Maybe your floppy-eared dog loves to play in the rain, but your German Shepherd runs back inside. While humans only have 6 muscles to move their ears, dogs have 18 and they sometimes move instinctually. The floppy-eared dog can block out some of the sounds by keeping his ears…well, floppy. German Shepherds have large, upright and pointed ears, so it is difficult for them to block the loud rain sounds.

The Raincoat Conundrum

There are dog people who, without knowing better, shroud their dogs in raincoats and don’t understand why the dog just stands there. Some people don’t understand the body language of the dog, so even though the dog looks like he is posing for a photo in his new snappy outfit, that’s not the case. The dog is avoiding movement because the raincoat is uncomfortable and makes unpleasant sounds. Now, imagine that you have really sensitive hearing and someone lays a sheet of hard plastic over your head before sending you outside in the rain. The plastic not only amplifies the sounds, but blocks out other noises that the dog might actually want to hear.

If there is a steady, long-term rain and your dog must go out, relax. Dogs pick up your energy so don’t let them feel your frustration. You should also be prepared to walk. Don’t just pop out and expect your dog to do his business on cue. Grab an umbrella and/or a raincoat and go for a walk as if nothing is odd. And when you come back in from a walk in the rain, you may want to reward the dog with a tasty treat. The more often you do this, the more accustomed your dog will get to being outside in the rain. So the next time a tropical storm rolls in, you and your dog will be ready!

Read more articles by Langley Cornwell

#8 ·
Uhhhh.......I noticed no "Dobes In The Rain!" picture entries yet......

May I suggest "Dobes Getting a Face Full of Garden Hose Water" or "Dobes Biting Sprinkler Water Monsters in Grass" alternative themes? :grin2:

Reactions: dax0402 and LadyDi
#11 ·
I had a chance this morning to take one - as it was raining - But what to take ??? Let them both out to poty - Ali is the seasoned Pro = lets just get it over and get back in - Now Kadin stood under the eve - then after he seen Ali going back in the house - runs out real quick - does his deal and runs back in - So there was never that one shot to take - there I'm out in the rain - trying to have that Kodak moment then it hit me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0402 is sitting in her house with Riley laughing her rear off thinking about all of us out in the rain to take a picture - Probably would have been better If I just took a selfie of me trying to take one of them :grin2::grin2:

Well - You have to love a challenge !

#27 ·
Well, it's supposed to rain (AGAIN!!!) today, tonight, and tomorrow so maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to get another pic but I'm thinking she'll be looking as pathetic as in the other one. And as most of you know, these dogs aren't out long enough to get a pic when it's raining. It's run out, do your business and straight back in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.