Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Treating a Wound
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM
spocksdad
Dobes Dobles +1

Dogs Name: Sunking's Spock- Dobe/ Eva -HADR Rescue Dobe/ Lanah- Mini Mutt/ RIP-Lillah- ChiTerrierX
Titles: Spock CGC, PP Therapy Dog
Dogs Age: 9/9/5
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit spocksdad's Gallery
Thanked 8,128 Times in 1,930 Posts

Click here to find out how spocksdad became a supporter
I've always been amazed how Dobes are so remarkably fast in healing & hair regrowth, from scrapes and scratches. Maybe it's their accelerated life (x7)? Like Dobebug and others and our Vet have said, open air healing is better.

Our little Lanah had a blood disorder recently (low clotting factor) which caused her to lick her feet and have skin rash. I kept her feet wrapped and in booties for a week to try to heal, but she developed a smelly infection on them (even when boots and wraps changed 2x day). Solution was injected + oral medication and medicated foot bathes 2x day, prescribed by vet.

For our Dobes I have tried many remedies for treating post surgical and wound sites. Triple antibiotic is normally recommended, but Dobes love to lick off. My go to product is SulphaTiazol, sold in Mexico. We used to get at pharmacies when visiting Nuevo Laredo, but now I obtain on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-POLVO-D...item2aab664d4e

It is a topical antiseptic that aids in healing and biggest advantage is one can tell if Dobes disturb or lick off due to light color of powder. When you see the sulfur powder gone, just reapply during day. I have tried Liquid Bandage and water based equivalents, also. However these sting like heck & Dobes will pick off hard coating these bandages form.

For especially troublesome wounds, like one of Spock's post surgical areas, which he picked at one month after stitches out, Spock was prescribed TresaDerm by vet. TresaDerm is topical wide spectrum antibiotic/ antifungal liquid drops applied 2x day. To apply, I would clean wound area with Hibiclens (antiseptic gel) then apply Tresaderm and topcoat with Sulphatiazol powder, using a baby Q-Tip (large tip). On initial days of this, I would put donut collars on Spock for a couple hours to keep area undisturbed. Repeated 2x day. After two days he completely stopped picking at wound and it healed up well, with 90% hair regrowth on suture area.

Just my experience with Dobe medical aid....

Ten Doberman Rules
Poke Everything.
It's New? Bark At It.
Moves? Chase It.
Doesn't Move? Smell It.
Liquid? Spill and Dribble It.
Treat or Food? Wolf It Down.
Not Food? Chew It Slowly, Be Quiet & Hide From Human.
A Toy? Shred & Destroy It.
Stuffed? De-Stuff It.
Bites You Back? Wrestle It!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spocksdad For This Useful Post:
Coco Loco (03-27-2019), gamermouse0213 (03-27-2019), LadyDi (03-27-2019), melbrod (03-27-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome