Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Agility class/screening
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:30 PM
dobebug
Alpha

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanked 24,320 Times in 6,279 Posts

I don't know what a "screening test" is either. But I've started dogs in agility with thre differed trainers and know one that I've never trained with but have talked to a lot and they all have a first class where you and the dog are going to do things that indicate that you have enough background to be successful in this basic class.

And all of these trainers have recommended that before we even consider starting agility that the dogs have been through a basic obedience class. All of my dogs have had obedience classes and usually have basic Rally and Obedience titles before I start them in agility.

So in the first class the dogs have to be controllable in the presence of other dog. They must come when called, do a sit and a down and stay in those positions. And all of the trainers I've been with have started using only one thing (mostly it was a jump with the bar either on the ground or on the lowest setting. All but one introduce ed the concept of targeting (with a plastic lid that had a highly desirable treat on it.

Every thing we did was at a walk pretty much.

And as far as the screw removal I can tell you that 4 hours after the removal of the screw (in the pelvis of one dog and a front leg on another and a back leg on a third) they were all back to being their crazy selves at full speed without so much as a limp)

I realize that's what dogs do and it may be more painful for you but just remember not to lick the skin where they went through it to remove the screw.

Most of the early work for beginning agility classes tends to be at fairly low speed and aimed at control and team performance.

Just remember it's supposed to be fun...

dobebug
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
Artemis (03-28-2019), Control_Freak (03-26-2019), LadyDi (03-26-2019), melbrod (03-26-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome