Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Sharjet Dobes

9K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  DoodleDobe 
#1 ·
Hi All! Does anyone here have a Sharjet Dobe that can share pictures or videos of their dog(s)? Or does anyone know of where I can go to see pictures and/or videos of them? I've seen a few Sharjet pictures after creeping on DobeQuest, but I'd like to see more recent pictures/videos of Sharon's dogs.
I am looking for a working puppy and heard Sharon is a great person to look into, but I'd like to be able to see her dogs in action, in any venue, before I reach out to her. I have been looking into Brandi (Masaya), and have been in contact with her. So far I really like her (and her dogs), she's been very easy to talk to and seems very knowledgeable, but I'd like to look into other breeders just to make sure I find the best match.
I am planning on getting a working puppy for IPO & WDA in the next year and a half, possibly two years, so I am starting now to make sure I give myself enough time to do breeder research and to build a solid relationship.

Thank you all in advance. I shall be anxiously waiting to see those pictures and videos :)

#5 ·
I have only ever heard good things about Sharon's dogs in my conformation circles (in terms of health and confo and temperament), and I've seen her dogs listed in the UDC Focus magazine for confo results. I've seen a couple with a BH, a lot of them have Obedience and/or Rally-O titles as well so I'd think most of them are good performance dogs and have enough drive and engagement. You also need to pass the TT in UDC to get a Ch or place in a class, so they must have some good protection instinct and stable temperament.

However I was not aware that she bred or breeds towards working sport/protection dogs, and I didn't see any with IPO title higher than the BH. So I am not sure if those good things (drive, engagement, protection instinct) translate to good grips and competitive IPO bitework. Anyone more familiar than I can chime in! To this I'd say it might also depend on whether you want an IPO dog, or if you want a dog that could optionally maybe do IPO.

#6 ·
Welcome. It sounds like what you are looking for is more of a working dog and less of a conformation dog? A Masaya dog is a lot of work, they are constantly "on". They are bred pretty much strictly for working. A Masaya dog will get you to the top of the podium if that's what you're looking for.

My Sharjet bitch is basically a couch potato who turns "on" when I hit the field or the show ring or the agility course. You can see pictures of her and I do have one or two videos of her working when she was 6mo. old I believe? I haven't taken any in a few months.

https://www.facebook.com/cardinaldobes/

#8 ·
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Artemas--Sharjet has been around for years and I've only known her as basically a showline breeder--conformation that is.

If you are looking for an IPO or Ring dog I think I might start looking more at the UDC dogs--although you might not get a podium dog from the AKC and Canadian breeders who are show breeders--there are certainly some that take the time and effort to train and compete with these dogs.

CVas15--a couple of questions for you--have you owned Dobermans? Do you have a Doberman now? Have you trained a Dobe for something like IPO? Or even in upper levels of Obedience, Rally, Agility or Tracking? It's been mentioned that some of the working line dogs tend to be too drivey for owners who have never dealt with a 'working' dog and while I know that with time you can adapt to a dog with a lot of drive and the dog can create an effective 'off' switch but the other thing that a lot of people don't know is just how much time and effort you need to expend to create a really top notch 'working' dog.

Just wondered how much experience you've had.

dobebug

#9 ·
If I'm remembering right, the OP has a Foxfire boy?

One of my club members has a Sharjet bitch. She's done some IPO work with her, though not to the point of trialing. Her bitch is a nice dog. I guess I'd say it's a question of whether you'd looking for a dog that is capable of trying it out with you to see if it's a sport you like, and can do well enough, or are you looking for a dog that can make it to higher levels? I have no idea what your background and commitment to it is...not doubting you, just saying that dogs bred with a lot of background for the sport may set you up to be more successful, although of course there are show line dogs that can be (and are).

#10 ·
Sharon is a conformation breeder, but has produced dogs that have titled in IPO. She works to breed dogs with correct Doberman temperament - most of them pass the WAE pretty easily. If you are looking for an all around nice Doberman that can do pretty much anything, she would be a good breeder to go to.

As an example of a dog that can do it all: Dobequest:Dog Profile Page

#11 ·
Thank you for the information. I have heard a lot of good things about Sharon and her breeding, and while I know for sure she breeds for confirmation, I did hear a tad that some of her dogs have titled in IPO, but wasn't sure if it was something she specifically bred for or not, which is why I wanted to see some of her dogs.

I do currently have a Foxfire boy who will be 3 next month. We do protection together, he received his FO last summer, and while he is very active and hardly ever a lunge around dog, he isn't as into the bite work as I'd like and I don't want to force it on him, so I decided I'd like to get a puppy from a breeder who specifically breeds working dogs.
I originally planned on doing Confirmation, which is why I went with a Foxfire. Michelle did an excellent job picking my boy for me, he turned out to be exactly what I needed and wanted, but after an ACL injury when he was still quite young, confirmation was out and I worry about doing agility with him, even though he certainly has the high active drive an willingness for it. But I'm not willing to risk further damage to his knee, so I decided we would focus more on protection since I know he needs some kind of active outlet. He does rally, but it makes him antsy, he's a crazy one who keeps me on my toes and we stay quite active together on a daily basis. One thing I have been very fortunate about with him though, is that while he rarely sits still he has never been destructive, to my surprise. That's one of the things I was preparing myself for before I even got him after reading so many stories of the trouble Dobies get into.

Sorry, I got side-tracked there. Sharon does certainly have beautiful dogs, but after a bit more insight I'm seeing that she isn't what I'm looking for. Again, I have been in contact with Brandi and I have been happy with her so far, so I will continue working with her. I just wanted to have other options in case it didn't work out, which I know can happen sometimes for several reasons. From personal experience timing has been an issue, but I do know that other things can arise.

Thank you again to everyone who helped out. I appreciate it. And I apologize for my rambling on about my boy, it's a common occurrence with me. :grin2:

#12 ·
Just to take the thread a bit further aside, before going back on topic...if you haven't tried Nosework with your boy, you might look into it. It's great for burning up brain power and energy, and dogs love it, and it's fabulous for dogs that have had a physical injury. Just something I wanted to mention.

Glad you're getting good info on what you are looking for for the next dog! Would love to see some pics of your boy!

#13 ·
Hi Meadowcat. He has done nosework, but it actually makes him more hyped up instead of worn out at the end. I stopped doing it with his trainer and other dogs, but I have a warehouse that he and I do searches in, and even though he's pretty active while doing it, I have to take him for a jog or long walk afterwards to settle him down.

#14 ·
Just a note about your current boy: IPO is a 3 phase sport. Protection is important, but if you have strong tracking and strong OB you can still make podiums and even win with so so protection. On the other hand if your protection is high but your tracking and OB is weak you will not be titling! But if he had a knee injury I'd not recommend the protection work longterm anyhow, if your goal is to compete.

If you're looking for other options for working dobermans, I would get in touch with Traci Mulligan from Rebholzer. Her dogs are fantastic sport dogs and they have an off-switch! She is planning a repeat litter from last year's fire litter this year (due spring I think). This is C-Amos vom Haus Mann (IPO3 x6) x Rebholzer Bad Moon Rising. There is a spread about the Fire litter in the latest UDC Focus issue, as well as an update about some Rebholzer dogs. Check it out here: https://www.uniteddobermanclub.com/focus/udcfocus_2018_winter.pdf
And in the 2018 Summer Focus issue there is a lot about Amos who was the DPCC's IPO dog for 2017 and 2018.
https://www.uniteddobermanclub.com/focus/udcfocus_2018_summer.pdf
Traci breeds for the Total Doberman - meaning conformation is important to her as well as working ability and performance. All of her dogs I've met and seen are unbelievably rock solid in terms of stability. They are awesome with engagement and OB as well as secondary OB, and their bitework is fantastic. I've seen 5 or 6 of her dogs right now, plus met one of the puppies from her Fire litter. Only thing I've not witnessed yet is tracking but given the drive and focus and engagement I imagine they don't struggle with it.

I also saw someone on Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings recently was expecting a litter of 7-9 puppies and ended up with 13. Both parents are fully tested, the dam is a European import with an IPO3 sire, and the sire is an AKC and UDC champion. Bonus, if you've ever dreamed of a well-bred dilute, this is a rainbow litter. Helia Driscoll, you can find her on facebook.

Masaya Dobermans do pack a punch, although I am not intimately familiar with the ins and outs of Brandi's program. From what I have seen she extensively health tests so that's always a huge plus. Just letting you know there are indeed multiple options for working pups or in between work and confo, if for whatever reason you decide not to go with Masaya.
As others have suggested, the UDC breeder's directory is an other good place to start :)

#17 ·
Does she have a website? I tried to google it but couldn't find one.

Pam
I don't think she does - I think she's one of the breeders that a phone call is your best bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.