Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Aceís first show - Barn Hunt
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Chesa
Ace's Human

Dogs Name: Vom Haus NY Dobermans Ace's Wild
Titles: CGC, TKN

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Chesa's Gallery

Aceís first show - Barn Hunt

Well Ace officially attended his first show today!

We went to the Barn Hunt Trials that my Kennel Club held, and figured we would go just to work on his ability to be in crowds and around other dogs in preparation for his CGC Test Tuesday. (Iím so ready to give it a shot but not totally sure heís going to pass, still has a few quirks we are working on but heís come SO far in 7 weeks).

We entered Instinct, and the Novice class, and I had zero idea of what to expect, except for watching a few YouTube videos before hand.

Many people were kind and offering us advice, but Ace is a bird of his own feather. You never know what he is going to surprise you with. The one, simplest rule in Barn Hunt is do NOT let the dog eliminate in the ring during the class. Sounds simple right?

We went in Instinct and Ace got to experience the ratís smell, and right as I was about to call the rat, he pees right beside them. Found out that is the quickest way to get DQed on the spot. Lmao. Little embarrassed, but itís not totally his fault. We were outside working in a ring covered in straw and hay bales. Heís never not been allowed to pee somewhere outside, and he really was just marking (which is rare for him).

So we moved on to the Novice class, and gave it a shot. You have to find 1 rat, go in the tunnel, and climb on the hay bales to qualify. Ace immediately got up on a hay bale no issue, but I got too distracted trying to coax him into this tiny tunnel fit for a corgi. He was trying to hunt, and I forgot just how little time you have. We ran out of time, but as soon as they showed him where the rat was, he got very interested and started pawing at it.

I like to think he had fun!! I definitely recommend attending a barn hunt trial! It was a great experience, and although I meant some very opinionated, ďall knowingĒ people, I also meant some great, helpful people and got to try something new. This whole world is new to me, so itís fun to start exploring! I can add RATI and RATN to our list of goals now(along with CGC, BN, RN, and TKN).

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chesa For This Useful Post:
alan j. (10-29-2018), Beaumont67 (10-29-2018), Cressrb (10-29-2018), dobebug (10-29-2018), dobegal (10-29-2018), ECIN (10-29-2018), LadyDi (10-29-2018), MeadowCat (10-29-2018), melbrod (10-28-2018), Rosemary (10-29-2018), spocksdad (10-28-2018), TNfisher (10-29-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome