Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Acana/Orijen - too much copper
View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Chutney Mason
Lil Pup

Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Chutney Mason's Gallery

I have a 12 month old Doberman male a big boy who had been on Acana puppy large breed for 6 months. The vet noticed very, very high Alt levels (copper) and was concerned he had Liver problems and storing copper. I had read about the acana /orijin law suit so mentioned it. We decided to change his food straight away test his liver function and redo his Alt levels in a few weeks after the new diet had taken affect. The liver function test came back as fine and we found out today that his Alt levels are now normal phew! I firmly believe that if we'd left him on the high protein diet it would have led to liver damage. Luckily it was caught in time due to blood tests prior to neutering. We will be feeding him the Liver friendly food for a while but fully expect to move him on to a normal non whole prey diet soon. So relieved but also very annoyed that such an expensive food could have shortened my dogs life and caused liver damage. Clear labelling is needle on these high copper foods. Hope this helps someone as much as the forum helped me at the time of concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chutney Mason For This Useful Post:
MeadowCat (06-20-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome