Thread: Ear Wrap
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 PM
dobebug
Alpha

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanked 23,261 Times in 6,101 Posts

The powder for powdering ears can be almost anything. Originally there was one powder that every drug store had as it disappeared I switched to the original Gold Bond Medicated powder. Over the years Gold Bond has ended up making powder for everything--I used to get the medicated foot powder but just went and looked at what I have right now and it's a medicated body powder. Buy the smallest container you can find--the time I bought a big bottle of one of the Gold Bond powders (because I was putting up and demo'ing a post for a woman new to posted ears) I had it for almost 10 years and the bottle was disgusting looking--it's probably the least expensive thing you'll ever buy for your Dobeman.

And Melbrod's explanation of how to get a post properly positioned is very good. I back tape the entire length of the post--and add a little pad of cotton in the very bottom--when I put the post in the ear I twist and push down while holding the ear and pulling up with the other hand. You'll know almost immediately if you haven't gotten the post far enough down in the ear because the puppy will keep shaking their head to try t dislodge it and will often manage to pull the bottom of the post out of the ear. DON'T try to stuff it back into the ear. Take the ear down and start from the beginning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (01-30-2018), melbrod (01-29-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome