Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Cropping Controversy.

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  dobebug 
#1 ·
I wanted to ask what negative feedback people have gotten when an outside person saw that your Dobermans ears were cropped. (If you faced any.) We've had our boy for almost a week now. His ears were already cropped, and healed when we got him. (Which was something we were looking for.) The exact day we got him I put pictures of him on my Facebook, and I can not tell you how floored I was by all the hate it seemed to bring. Within an hour I had many messages telling me how awful I am for soullessly chopping off a dogs ears for my own personal pleasure. When trying to explain the process, and reasoning I was "shut down" time after time. I think the one thing that bothered me the most is no one seemed to have an issue with his tail being docked. It was either never mentioned, or one person even said. "I understand that certain dogs are born with short tails, but that doesn't give you the right to go ahead, and cut off part of his ears!" -_- Seriously, lol.

I am interested in hearing other peoples experiences in dealing with this, and how you handled it?

#2 ·
I'm not really interested in being friends with people like that :)

I don't get too much of that. If I run into people out and about, I *mostly* get - wow, your dogs are gorgeous! The occasional comment about ears, if I'm lazy, I just say, dogs from good breeders come with their ears already cropped in this country. If I'm feeling up to the discussion, I will actually get into a discussion about it, thoughtfully and calmly...but it depends on the person and whether they are worth it or not. If' it's random person on the street...ignore. You do have to put up with some of it with this breed.

On Facebook I'd probably unfriend some people who feel okay treating a friend like that, but it's just me.

#3 ·
I have faced different reactions. Some silly. Like taking my Doberman to Petsmart with his ears posted. Chilly reaction from the checkout counter, and no offer of treats.
Next week at Petsmart, same dog, ears unwrapped and standing, I got all sorts of positive comments, and offered treats. Guess they didn't realize it was the same dog.

I have had people comment on my adult Doberman by asking why I didn't crop the ears,

I have had people react to my Chinese Cresteds who do not have cropped ears, but they are posted as pups to create upright ears, and those people have said I was so cruel to crop a small dogs ears. It was the tape that turns them off. I had to explain they were not cropped.

People are what they are. I avoid this by not taking my pups with ears posted to public places like Petsmart. We do go to the dog training classes for early socialization where most are dog people and it is not unusual seeing other cropped eared breeds.

#4 ·
When my dog is in tape and I get a comment, I tend to say that we tape their ears to make them stand up straight. There are a lot of people who will let it go at that because I don’t mention any surgery and they don’t know any better. But yes, you will get comments.

Dobes tend to get a lot...with my grown ones, it’s usually “He’s so beautiful” and almost invariably “We had one when I was a kid--he was the best dog”, followed up by all kind of fond stories. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone who told me they once owned a dobe tell me a bad story.

And then there’s the side-long glance, the nervous look and the avoidance thing. You learn to have a thick skin.

#6 ·
Dobes tend to get a lot...with my grown ones, it’s usually “He’s so beautiful” and almost invariably “We had one when I was a kid--he was the best dog”, followed up by all kind of fond stories. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone who told me they once owned a dobe tell me a bad story.
So funny Mel, we always get the same thing!

I have this little game I play where I count how many times during a walk people say how "beautiful, pretty, gorgeous, or handsome" mine are! We've even had "they are so cute!" a number of times. The current record is 15 on one 5-6 mile walk.

Oddly enough with the ears (mind you both of my are adults- so it might be a while before you get this) more than anything it's "I'm so glad you didn't have their ears clipped!" :| Both of mine have medium long show crops.

#7 ·
I've had people making comments on my Doberman puppies with cropped ears since 1959--in the early years it was mostly things like "Do his ears hurt?" and as there was an increasing number of people who do not believe in cropping (docking and dew claw removal) I got more comments about what a rotten human I was to torment puppies in such a fashion.

Mostly I ignore the comments--pretend I'm deaf and walk away if it's a personal contact--for social media comment I'd unfriend them.

But basically you end up shrugging it off and ignoring the comments.

But some have been priceless--"I didn't know you had to bandage Weimaraner ears" That was my fawn male they were looking at. Or later, when his very long show crop was standing..."How come they docked its tail so short?" The fawn was standing outside the Doberman ring with his ears up--I said "Because he's a Doberman..." To which the guy looking at his tail said..."You shouldn't have cut his ears--people will think it's a Doberman."

It's caused me to do most of my socialization of Dobe puppies at Obedience, Rally and Agility trials or at training classes.

#8 · (Edited)
So.... I will tell my favorite "ignorant" commenter ear crop story one more time. Quite a few years ago my son got his first Doberman. In fact dobebug helped him with a hands on lesson on posting as I was not really up on the most current methods.

In any case, I was dog less at the time so the pup spent most days with me while my son and (now) daughter in law worked.

When I walked him, in tape and posts, there was a young woman who would bicycle around me for quite a distance making comments that I really couldn't make out, but I could tell she was mad at me. One afternoon, I had had enough. She was about a block away directing her comments at me so I waved her over and asked her what her issue was with me.

She said:"You mutilated that puppy, someone should have done that to you". Quick of tongue, I responded with "They did.... When I was a baby. Here, I'll show you" I proceeded to pretend to unbuckle my jeans like I was going to drop my pants. (Get it?) That girl took off, and never bothered me again.

Of course it was all in jest on my part, but she didn't know that.

Generally, If someone is not abusive, I am more than happy to converse with them about the history, practice and merits of ear cropping. In general, people are fairly receptive.
If not.... Oh well

The one thing I never do is to engage in an argument. It is simply not worth it

John
Portland OR

Edit to say: My boys have always garnered lots of attention. The positive encounters have always outweighed the negative by far. I spend half my walk time with McCoy interacting with people who either know him or want to meet him.

#9 ·
I agree with the other posters that said, "I have received more compliments than not"
Once those ears are up and they gain that 'look of the eagles'... I have had people pull
off the road to tell me what a gorgeous dog I have. At the vets office, or farmers market, it is the same -'Where did you get a Doberman like that? Or, I have never seen such beautiful dog, etc. etc." I am always so proud to be on the other end of the leash!

#10 · (Edited)
2 office ladies (dog lovers) at work asked me if I plan on cropping my pups ears & I said the breeder took care of that, at 7 weeks young / while the tail was docked at under 1 week old...no nerve ending, at early age (bla-bla).
- one seemingly had a problem with ear surgery, she had a Golden Retriever boy
- 2nd lady had two boxers, & accepted the practice

I knew the first one had an adult son, and I asked if he was put under the circumcision knife, immediately following delivery...answer was Yes.
- I asked that was OK was it?...(free world stopped Circumcising Females, but not infant Boys...see the injustice)
- without his permission...no reply
- this Dad don't believe in M-C...you a penis expert, born without one?
No she said / "well than, you don't have a clue whats best for the protection breed" !!
- proving she didn't know what was best for her baby son either / so my dog crop is my own personal business
- after all, M-C my son, IS NO A FEMALE DECISION, Dad decided against young penis mutilation
- friendly argument conceded

A decade ago, former Amy was waiting at the Vets and dog was snuggling up to a senior lady...with her cropped ears in "airplane mode".
- lady thanked me, for not cropping them...I laughed
- but they are cropped, and her ears are relaxed...and I went on to show her a close up of Amy ears
- hound dog ears will not funnel in sound / and ear infections would be more common...without a crop
- everyone in the office, had a good laugh

I get overwhelming positive comments, on a lovely crop adult Doberman.

#11 ·
I got a lot of mean comments on my Dane and Doberman when they were posting, but no one says anything negative once the tape is off. Its like everyone thinks the ears are natural at that point. I did get much fewer comments on my Doberman since we used black tape so her posts were less obvious. You get used to ignoring the mean comments and providing brief education to curious people.

#14 ·
At my current job, I mentioned I was getting a Doberman puppy.

Everyone in my office was all excited (they each have dogs, either rescue pitbulls or labs), but when I made a comment about the ears/tail, one of the girl made a snide comment how cruel and unethical that is.

It got me a little wound up, but I brushed it off. Shes not the sharpest tool in the shed on a good day, so I tried to not let it bother me.

However we have this thing at work where usually once a month someone brings their dog in. I cannot wait for the opportunity, but I am a tad nervous of hearing the negativity on the ears.

#16 ·
Omg you guys are killing me with some of these comments, haha. I finally stopped taping his ears. He is 5 months old now. His ears will stand straight up when he is alert, and the tips point to the back of his head when he is relaxed. All looks, and seems well so I think we are done with taping. I do agree though. When his ears were taped I would get many looks, and comments, but now that he is not taped everyone acts like is all okay.

I do find something funny though. The weekend we picked him up we stayed at my grandmas house, because it was in between where we were picking up, and where we live. When we got home I noticed our neighbor across the road (who usually keeps to himself) was out in his yard walking his brand new puppy. He picked it up the same Saturday we got Luc. He ended up getting a Dobe/Rott mix. Haha, how ironic is that!

#21 ·
Keep posting them! They will flop over time. You should keep them posted till all adult teeth have erupted and have stopped growing (around 8-9 months old). Some dobes stay in posts till 18 months old.

When people point and say 'those ears are cut!' I say 'yep' and keep walking.

When people ask about the tape I tell them 'to train the ears to stand'

When people say negative things on the internet I simply delete and unfriend.

I dont give the energy or time to negative people, just keep walking :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.