Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Advice on what to do with our Doberman
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
johnricesr
Lil Pup

Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit johnricesr's Gallery

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies, and thanks to those that PM'ed me as well. I even received one while at the vet's office today. I really appreciate it, and I'm not sure if I can add anything that might help someone in the future in a similar situation who might be reading this thread, but I thought I'd let y'all know the outcome.

In addition to this forum, I had also talked to via phone and email to other people that were more experienced than myself, and they had the same opinions. There was one, and also one who PM'ed me, who suggested hypothyroidism as a possible cause. So we made an appointment for today with the decision that if the tests showed nothing wrong, we'd have to say goodbye to Max. Our vet suggested a full workup, which we did. We spent the weekend and this morning with Max, doing all of the things he loved and loving up on him, just in case things didn't go the way we wanted them to.

Unfortunately everything came back normal, and we had to have him put to sleep. My son is handling it as well as could be expected under the circumstances and wanted to hold Max while he went to sleep. The vet was very compassionate and patient, even giving us as much time as we needed with Max. Quite honestly, and I've been around a while and have had a lot of dogs, but I don't recall ever having to make such a difficult decision in my life.

Thanks again, guys.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to johnricesr For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (02-07-2017), Beaumont67 (02-06-2017), Brandy&Melanie (02-07-2017), Cressrb (02-07-2017), Darkevs (02-06-2017), Dobejazz (02-06-2017), greenkouki (02-06-2017), jeitzen (02-07-2017), melbrod (02-06-2017), MomnaL (02-08-2017), spocksdad (02-07-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome