post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
mraimondi87
Alpha

Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit mraimondi87's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeitzen View Post
I agree with all advice give -- and please, stop letting the puppy mouth you!!! It will only teach him that it is an alright thing and will be harder fro you to break the habit. We as humans have nice soft fleshy limbs that are perfect for those growing teeth, but don't let him even nibble on you. Give him toys to chew instead. You need to be consistent with this or you will havea dog that thinks its okay to bite on you.

When Zuko was like this as a puppy, we would firmly say "NO!" or "OUCH!" when he was biting a little too hard while playing. He would usually get the hint and cower, lower his head and avert his eyes and seem to grovel. He knew he did bad. If he didn't calm down, he was put in his crate for a 'time out', which he learned very quickly that he did not want to be in and separated from us.

We will not allow it anymore. Thank you. He has tons of toys, our arms and hands are apparently more fun. The 'no' 'ouch' or 'yelp' only amps him up. So we have to calmly but sternly say 'no' and go from there. Thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
mraimondi87, do you have good breeder support? Have you found a good trainer in your area? I ask, not to discourage you from asking questions here, but because Dobs4ever is correct in that you will get a lot of different opinions online, lots of different ways of handling common puppy issues like you are having. While I DO have a difference of opinion with her on ways of training (which is perfectly fine...we can agree to disagree on things, and still get along just fine!), that's the thing...I think what is very valuable for dogs is to have very consistent, clear methods. It's especially hard for new owners when they are getting a lot of conflicting advice and they may try one thing, then another, then something else...without really sticking with something long enough for their puppy to really understand and learn what they are trying to teach. The reason I ask about a breeder or a trainer is that those two would be my first "go to" places for help. A good breeder typically has years of experience and can guide you (and trust me, that's part of what you have paid for in a well bred dog - the guidance and help of your breeder!). Don't hesitate to ask them about something! Second, I really, really can't emphasize enough how important I think it is to find a good trainer that you trust and start working with them now. My trainers are people I've now worked with for years, and I trust them with all kinds of things...they KNOW dogs. Not only that, they now know MY dogs. I've been training with the same training facility and same trainers for a long time, because I really value them. For me, training is life long, and it's not just because I do sports with my dogs. I don't just ask my agility trainers questions about agility - I've asked all kinds of questions, and they are very helpful. I think having a good relationship with a great trainer is so very valuable. If you haven't yet started a class with your pup - start looking for a place or a trainer you click with...someone that you feel comfortable with, that you "mesh" with philosophically. It will be of great value to you and your dog.

Thank you. I do and I will contact. I've had so much help here. He's very smart and we will stay consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs4ever View Post
That's because a lot of advise you read on the internet are from those who have graduated from some dog training school or psychology training and so they have great book learning, but have never actually trained a large breed dominant dog. Couldn't read a dog if their life depended on it. The problem is I always tell everyone the dogs DO NOT read the darn book. They are dogs and they do not respond like humans. A dog should not ever be allowed to put teeth on humans. They should have learned bite inhibition when with their littermates. That is why breeders should keep puppies together a minimum of 8 weeks and I prefer 9 for them to learn their lessons. DOGS do not bite humans - that is crossing the line. You use "easy" when he is playing with a smaller animal If you provide THINGS to bite then they learn that humans are not allowed. So use a tuggy toy, or stuffed animal that they can bite. Bones are also good but never humans. I don't know what horrible stories you have hears but I can tell you it is not by anyone who has actually trained, titled and worked a dominant breed dog.

Too add: I have trained in Schutzhund for many years and I can tell you we train a dog when he is allowed to bite but there are rules to the game and he must abide by the rules. I read dogs not books

Thank you. Sometimes he takes the toy and sometimes he continues to go for hands arms limbs. Then we leave and on the way to the spare bedroom, he's nipping at feet and legs. We have to push him off before going into the room. We will now stay consistent. As writing this, he's in his mood, and I've had to leave 3 times. He has thousands of chew toys so hopefully he will soon get the hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mraimondi87 For This Useful Post:
Darkevs (02-13-2017), MeadowCat (02-06-2017), ShelianDobe (02-08-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome