Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Thyroid removal in dogs?
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM
dobebug
Alpha

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanked 23,136 Times in 6,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyLynn View Post
Original results (edited to show reference range):

Total T3: 0.74
Ref: 0.90-2.10 nmol/L

Total T4: 22.9
Ref: 13.0-53.0 nmol/L

TSH: 0.06
Ref: 0.00-0.60 ng/mL

Free T4: 21.9
Ref: 9.0-47.4 pmol/L

Canine Thyroglobulin Autoantibodies: Negative

@melbrod -- once we've got his dosages nailed down, I'll be investigating bulk purchasing. I didn't even know that was an option, which is why I didn't ask his original vet about it. I'm bringing in his old bottle with me so the vet has an idea of what amount he was on previously. Previously, I was paying something like $21/month for his Synthyroid, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Bear in mind I am NOT a vet but did the vet who originally tested him discuss the results with you? These results don't look like a hypothyroid dogs results to me--they might be on the lower side of normal but what did the vet say before he actually gave you a prescription for meds? And did they retest after he'd been on medication for 4 to 6 weeks?

One of the reasons that vets sometimes only prescribe a months worth of meds at a time is because the dog should actually be retested to see where his thyroid levels are after starting medication.

I wish you the very best of luck with this dog...please let us know how the testing goes and if you take him to a neurologist for a consult, how that goes as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
reddobes (11-17-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome