Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Thyroid removal in dogs?
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
CourtneyLynn
Big Dog

Dogs Name: Atlas
Dogs Age: 2
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit CourtneyLynn's Gallery

Neurological issues -- that was another thought that crossed my mind as well, and I know that's one of the worst case scenarios for me, because then euthanasia might be a very real possibility since there won't be a real hope of him getting better. At least with a thyroid issue, medication can offer him some relief. With a neurological problem, he'll always be unpredictable and anxious, and that can't be fun for him. He's very sensitive and I've watched him cower away after he has a "mental break".

Someone came to my door yesterday and knocked. Atlas went absolutely crazy, lunging and barking. He was spinning and carrying on like someone was actually trying to get into the house, but the woman only knocked once and waited. Atlas continued his fit until he was out of sight of the door, and then it was like a light switch flicked - his eyes focused, his ears dropped and he actually looked ashamed. I've never hit him or done more than use a firm voice with him, but he looked fearful. It made me so sad, because I could tell he really didn't know what was going on.

I've read that Sudden Onset Rage Syndrome is a thing, but is it a common thing? Is that something I should look more in-depth into? I have no issues muzzling my dog and I do my best to keep him safe, but I also want him to have a high quality of life. Are there other options for dogs with neurological issues?

For the record, he was completely friendly until he turned 2 or so. He was friends with anyone who entered the house and he loved people. Then, he turned 2 and everyone was an enemy at that point, even people who had been a constant in his life from the time he was a puppy. I had him from 5 months old and he was never abused, so it's puzzling. We've been dealing with this for a while now. Started off as suspected behavioral issues, so we worked a lot on that. Then he started losing fur on his chest and someone here mentioned thyroid testing, which returned low results. And now, here we are.
The Following User Says Thank You to CourtneyLynn For This Useful Post:
Darkevs (10-24-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome