Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Coursing Ability Test Thread

37K views 264 replies 41 participants last post by  Smacks 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, since Dobiwankanobi suggested it.... here is the "official" CAT thread. :) Feel free to post any and all CAT questions, brag, etc. in this thread.

I'm planning on going to a CAT on the 30th and 31st of this month with Ilka. With any luck, she will take to it like a duck to water.

#3 · (Edited)
We'll see you on the 30th and 31st. Did you notice in the premium it said pre-entries were due by Weds, March 28?? Uhhh...March 28 is a Thursday. Better arrange for it to get there no later than the 27th to be safe.

Since we're here...I thought we could also post dates/areas of upcoming CAT's as well.

March 30-31: Cat Spring, TX
April 20-21: Brenham, TX

Suggestions:
-Bring canopy even though Eventermal says it will be "overkill". The word pasture = no trees anywhere.
-Bring Snacks. There was no food anywhere when we went to Florence!
-Bring more water than you think you'll need.
-Bring a cool coat!
-Be prepared to do a lot of waiting!

#4 ·
Upcoming midwest CATs:

Valley Center, KS April 5-6 (2 CATs on Friday, 1 on Saturday)
http://www.nwakennelclub.com/images/NWAKC-Wichita-April2013.pdf

Des Moines, IA April 20-21 (1 CAT Saturday, 1 CAT Sunday)
I can email you a premium... can't find it online. Entries are VERY limited for this one, so if you want to go to this one be sure to enter ASAP.

Ramsey, MN May 5 (1 CAT Sunday)
Premium isn't available yet, but will be here eventually: Greater Twin Cities Afghan Hound Club - Lure Coursing Information

Here are photos from Kaylee's 4th CAA leg... she will finish her CAA on May 5th in Ramsey.

#6 ·
I love seeing dobes do lure coursing! Moxie and Mikey (a male I co-own) got to do it at a show last year. They both got a leg but it was raining off and on the second two days and we didn't want to risk them getting hurt so we pulled them. We never have CATs around here :( I wish we did because Avril would love it I think.

These are 6+ months old but I never shared them.
Taken by my crappy cell phone

Mikey got confused and thought the cone was the lure and started barking at it. :p

#7 · (Edited)
I love seeing dobes do lure coursing! Moxie and Mikey (a male I co-own) got to do it at a show last year. They both got a leg but it was raining off and on the second two days and we didn't want to risk them getting hurt so we pulled them. We never have CATs around here :( I wish we did because Avril would love it I think.
You guys have way more up there then in Phx. Cascade Coursing Club for one. Vader got his first leg with them. I thought they just had one. I swear Cathy was talking about it.

ETA: http://www.cascadecoursing.org/cat.html

#11 ·
Registered (full, limited, and I believe conditional), PAL/ILP (have to be altered), FSS, and Canine Partners (mixed breed and non AKC/FSS breeds, also need to be altered) are all welcome. Dogs with breed disqualifying faults (like parti-color Poodles or white GSD) are also eligible. The only requirement is that they be at least one year old. Intact bitches that are in season are not allowed, though.

You can find more information, plus a link to the regulations and upcoming events here. American Kennel Club - Coursing Ability Test

#13 · (Edited)
Some things I learned at the last CAT
Inspection
-females are "wiped" to ensure they aren't in season
-intact males must have both testicles
-both are made to do a down and back to ensure they aren't lame

ETA-posted at the same time as Eventermal!

#18 ·
Whoever said that was incorrect. I won't say "wrong" but maybe "misinformed", as I believe that is the rule for field trials and tests.

Section 3. Eligibility to Enter. Coursing Ability Tests are open to all dogs at least 12 months of age that
are individually registered with the AKC, recorded in the Foundation Stock Service (FSS) program,
individually registered with a foreign or domestic registry organization whose pedigrees are acceptable for
AKC registration, dogs granted a Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) number, dogs with AKC Limited or
Conditional Registration, or dogs enrolled in the AKC Canine Partners program. Dogs with breed
disqualifications and monorchid/cryptorchid dogs are eligible to participate
. Females in season may not
enter. A dog may enter only once per event. (An event is defined by an event number.)

#16 ·
Maybe a uniball has more speed?! :D

I'm sure there's a reason...but I didn't ask! Will do so next CAT.

Reactions: River
#21 ·
Yes. She will need to be 12 months.

The CAT I was at last weekend allowed "fun runs" for people wanting to try it that had dogs that weren't old enough or dogs they weren't sure would chase. They didn't run the full course...maybe 100 yards. Perhaps you can send an email asking if they allow "fun runs"?

#22 ·
Yes, every "Pass" is a leg. It takes 3 legs for a CA, 10 legs for a CAA, and 25 legs for a CAX. Every 25 legs you earn after that you get a number added to your CAX (CAX2, CAX3, etc.)

Reactions: Dobiewankanobi
#26 ·
One leg per event. If they hold more than one event (different event numbers are required) per day, you can run in each event. For instance, the Louisiana KC holds a cluster of CATs in November. Over the weekend, they have something like five separate events.

#28 ·
Thank you!

Yes. You are correct.

One per day because you are allowed only one entry per event. I suppose if they listed two seperate events on one day that you could pick up 2 legs???
Makes sense. I am guessing more than one leg a day is probably a bit stressful anyways. It's probably (usually) that way for a reason. It's just tough for me when all of them are so darn far away, it would be nice to get more than a couple runs for 6+ hours driving (total) and a hotel stay! :p

I'm going to see if I can get a fun run in at a local place that doesn't do CATs, just to make sure she likes it first. I don't have any doubts though, since she has a high prey drive, loves chasing animals out of the yard, etc. :D

#32 ·
The last CAT event I was at I had a number of people insisting my dog couldn't run with a collar on. When the judge started to say something about Ivan wearing a collar I told him it's not coming off and the rules actually state. . . he cut me off and said go ahead.

I'm not a fan of the idea of having my dog run in an open field in an unfamiliar area with no identification on him. Ivan has never run away. He's never given any indication he would do so, but I'm still not comfortable with him being loose and uncontained with no visible ID.

Based on that experience, I'll make sure to always have a copy of the regulations with me and not take for granted that everyone knows them.

http://images.akc.org/pdf/events/coursing_ability_test/Regulations.pdf

#34 ·
It's basically an instinct sport. I brush up on recalls beforehand, but other than that you just have to make sure your dog is in good shape... you go up to the line, release your dog when the huntmaster says Tally-ho, then collect your dog at the end! They usually have it set up so the lure comes to you at the end, so catching your dog is fairly easy.

#35 ·
Kahlua runs nonstop up here, all over the mountains so she should be good with that. I imagine if the lure stops moving she will lose interest and will come back. What if they bite the lure? Is that frowned upon?

She is good with recalls normally she always comes back, just not when she finds something to chase. Here its deer and turkeys, so far she hasn't gotten the chance to chase them in a while but she gets riled up once she sees them.

#38 ·
Rocket loves coursing! He's got his CA and 3 legs toward his CAA, hoping to finish up his CAA in April!

And this one was on the way to coursing. 7 hours in the car is apparently too many!

#40 ·
The CAT in Cat Springs, TX is this weekend!

I've sent in Siri's pre-entry. If she completes this leg she'll earn the CA title.

I'm so excited already and it's only Monday.:rolleyesww:

#42 ·
Ilka's entry was mailed on Friday. :D Here's hoping for two legs, and some pretty ribbons. I like pretty ribbons. I'm still new enough at this dog game that all our pretty ribbons are framed, and hanging on the wall, along with all our certificates and title pictures. Does that make me a proud dog owner, or just a narcissist?

PWR, I'm driving about 3 hours Saturday morning, spending the night at a motel in Katy, then driving home Sunday afternoon.

#41 ·
I'm so jealous. I wish the Cat Springs event was closer but I just don't have the time to drive 4ish hours each way. At least with the events close to Austin I can stay with my parents and get some of my school stuff done in the evening. I'd be exhausted after driving all day.

/whinewhinewhine

tl;dr - Good luck to those going this weekend and I want MOARRRRR

#44 ·
It's close to me. About 35 minutes. BUT, of course I have to drive to Navasota first since she's showing in conformation. Then I'll turn back around for the CAT. Cause it just couldn't be as simple as driving 35 minutes!

Ilka's entry was mailed on Friday. :D Here's hoping for two legs, and some pretty ribbons. I like pretty ribbons. I'm still new enough at this dog game that all our pretty ribbons are framed, and hanging on the wall, along with all our certificates and title pictures. Does that make me a proud dog owner, or just a narcissist?

PWR, I'm driving about 3 hours Saturday morning, spending the night at a motel in Katy, then driving home Sunday afternoon.
Overachiever! :) Glad you got yours in early too.
I have all of Siri's performance ribbons, but only her class winning, WB/RWB ribbons. If she goes 2nd in a class I leave that with her handler! :roflmao: Though none of hers are framed. I really had the intention to do that...but there's just so many. Proud dog owner for sure!

What exit are you staying at?

You're more dedicated than I, lol!
AND take pictures!
I'll have the BF with me on Saturday and some good friends that are running their Dobes too on Sat/Sun. Between the BF and the friends I'm hoping for photos AND video. We'll see what I actually end up with though!:roflmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.