Town Hall Topic – Loose Leash Walking
- How did you teach your Doberman to not pull on a leash? Any particular methods did you use?
- At what age did you start to see any improvements? How often do they need reminders?
- What type of collar and leash do you use? (prong, harness, flexi, etc)
- What distractions are the hardest to overcome?
- Are there any particular situations that you find more difficult to walk in than others? (Large crowds, parks, other dogs around)
I fostered an abused 3 yr old, and she knew nothing!
I used a small show chain and leash up under her neck, and checked her whenever she tried to pass me.
I saw improvement in 3 days in heeling. Never needed a correction after she learned something.
Then she was on a plain poly collar and leash if she couldn't be off-leash.
Which distractions? Probably cars as she was alone on the streets for 3 yrs. But walking everyday she got over it quickly.
Sadly, she passed a couple of Christmases ago, but she loved everybody! My cats would sleep practically ON her in the bed or on the couch, and she raised one of my rescued kittens.
God, I miss her so much. Looking again, but will never replace her. RIP BUFFY