Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - The Dumbbell Retreive?
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Dobeman
Alpha

Dogs Name: Syria, Ferrara, Havanna, Faro, Arakan, Aruba
Dogs Age: 8.5, 7, 5, 4, 10 mo,10 mo
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Dobeman's Gallery

Before you decide who to train with for the retrieve, watch how they teach it. Some people believe that without using force, the retrieve is never reliable. Some use the clicker approach. Others use play/prey etc.

I personally like Ivan's way of teaching the hold. Ivan explains it in his book, and it is my understanding that the retrieve will be covered on his 3rd DVD, which is about to be released.

Leerburg has a good DVD on the motivational retrieve with Bernhard Flinks.

Michael Ellis is a super person to work retrieves with. He also teaches the hold command separately. And he plays little retrieve games with his puppies from very early on with the toy/tug. He breaks the retrieve down in little steps that are very easy to understand for the dog if taught correctly.

Please do not try to force your dog to retrieve - at least without an EXPERIENCED trainer guiding you. I did the forced retrieve on one dog under supervision of what I then thought was an experienced trainer. Gosh, it was ugly. The dog ended up retrieving, beautifully, and everything I threw, but boy, did it destroy our relationship and his overall work attitude. I haven't had to force-retrieve a dog since - knock on wood.

Cornelia Grabichler
Dobermannzwinger vom Haus Untersberg
www.vom-haus-untersberg.com
usadobermann.proboards.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dobeman For This Useful Post:
jimtc (01-08-2009), Khiera (01-08-2009), KieferstahlDobermann (01-08-2009), Navistardobe (01-08-2009)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome