Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Wobblers 101...A MUST READ!!!
View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 04:14 PM
coffeehugger
Big Pup

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit coffeehugger's Gallery

I follow many Doberman rescue pages and have done a lot of fostering of rescue animals. When it comes to a breed such as purebred Dobermans, I sometimes wonder, as when whole litters are placed for adoption or dogs come out of horrible circumstances, should adopters be concerned about these vital heath issues?

Does the standard early spay and neuter affect the later outcome? I see purebred Doberman pups up for adoption at 8 weeks already neutered. This is an attempt to control breeding, I understand that, but growth is affected also by this practice.

I look at the dogs, and so many especially down in the deep south, have had such sad lives and are so poorly bred, poor nutrition. I have been considering making my next dog a rescue, but I have a lot of reservations. I wonder if these dogs may have lifelong problems that aren't easy to spot right away. Is there any reason to believe rescue Dobermans are more at risk for severe health problems than dogs from reputable breeders?
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeehugger For This Useful Post:
Darkevs (11-05-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome