Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Rescue Dobe vs. Dobe Puppy Questions...
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
dobestar
Alpha

Dogs Name: Ava, Vito & Beckett RIP: Portia, Calvin, Bali, Gwennie & Rocket
Titles: Always striving for titles on BOTH ends!
Dogs Age: 5 yrs, 2 years & just a munchkin!
Gallery Pics: 8
Visit dobestar's Gallery
Thanked 1,418 Times in 322 Posts

I think that some male Dobermans could probably get along with a submissive Beagle, but frequently fighting does develop as they start to test each other. Unfortunately, that's not something that is always obvious in the beginning. You might think that the beagle and the male Dobe are going to get along, and then after a few months, someone gets mad and the fights begin. Then you have a problem.

Our rescue group would require you to have some kind of fence, but it doesn't have to be the whole property, just a safe place where you can turn the dog out to go potty. Typically, our only exceptions to the fence policy are for folks that live in a townhouse or apartment where they would be forced to take the dog for multiple daily walks for exercise, and they wouldn't be in a position to just let the dog out the door. People who live on acreage always think that they have so much space that their dog would never leave, but it would only take a motivated Doberman about 5 seconds to run off your property, if he/she was a chasing a rabbit. In regards to the height of the fence, while I know that some Dobermans will jump fences - in my experience I have rarely seen that, so we only ask for a 4 foot fence.

In response to your 2nd question, if you signed the adoption application, the dog is yours. However, we require our adopters to be at least 21 years old.

As far as re-naming your rescue dog, that is up to you. We would ask that you tell us what you renamed him or her, so that we can keep our records up to date.

There are certainly pros and cons to buying a puppy or rescuing an adult dog. However, the breeders you talk to should be as picky as we are, if not more so. A good breeder will require you to sign a contract as well. If they don't, you should probably find a different breeder.

~Laura in MN

Tower's Raven Beauty, CGC "Portia"
09/23/93 ~ 02/26/06

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."
~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Last edited by dobestar; 02-07-2008 at 04:35 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome