Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - When owners can't afford healthcare for their dog?
View Single Post
post #60 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
StarlightDobe
Dobes stole my heart <3

Dogs Name: Nexus - Bella - Lily (R.I.P. Mysti)
Titles: Nexus = Spaztastic - Bella = NoNo Bad Dog - Lily = Tiger Shark!
Dogs Age: Nexus = 4/14/2010 Bella = 2/19/2011 Lily = 6/27/2014
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit StarlightDobe's Gallery
Thanked 5,724 Times in 2,332 Posts

The thing with most pet insurances is they do not pay up front. You need to submit detailed paperwork AFTER the fact, and they reimburse you. It does not work like human helath insurance where the facility bills them and they pay. We had a horrendous bill form Nexus when she had her obstruction/rupture. In total over 3.000.00 in vet bills. Both facilities we worked with were gracious enough after paying close to 1000.00 that they told us we could pay the rest when the insurance reimbursement came in. Yes it is nice to have the insurance, you have the peace of mind that you get your money back, less any deductibles and non covered costs. However, you still have to have the cash up front to pay the bills or get a really good vet that lets you wait to pay. In our case, we have been going to this vet since I was a little girl and my parents took our pets there, and every pet I have owned since moving out on my own has gone there, so they know me very well, and because they were willing to let me wait, the e-vet did the same.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. - Bernard Williams

R.I.P. Mysti 1/25/02-10/21/10
The Following User Says Thank You to StarlightDobe For This Useful Post:
Rosemary (01-14-2013)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome