Still a Pup
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Dogs Name: Saya, Zenyatta, Kitten, Teodora, Muse, Tanuki
Titles: Lots of titles...not enough space.
Gallery Pics: 1 Visit Dobes&Hounds's Gallery
Thanked 5,219 Times in 1,436 Posts
Zenyatta's breeding mis-adventure
So, as I had posted in the past, Zen finished her Championship and has her health testing completed.
We had been searching for a "boyfriend" and had one chosen that did not work out. We continued the hunt for Mr. Right and found him... 17 hours away. My dear husband and I packed up the car and took a road trip. We timed it to where we thought when we arrived she would be ovulating as she had a progesterone test before she left.
We tested when we got there.. not ready.. waited.. not quite ready but decided to try a breeding to clean out Mr. Right's pipes.
Poor Mr. Right had no clue which end to go to and didn't even attempt to mount Zen. We gave them some time, but he really didn't enjoy being assisted. We all ended up going to the repro vet and doing an artificial insemination. The bad news was... low sperm count. We AI'd her anyhow and were quite concerned that Mr. Right may have difficulty. We did another progesterone and she went from a 4.0 to a 12 overnight!! OMG... eggs everywhere on day 18 of her season. The stud dog owner and myself discussed the potential of Mr. Right not being able to get things moving. She offered his half brother to Zen. After some discussion we decided to go ahead so we would not miss the window of opportunity after all the effort we had put forth. Mr. Right's brother got it right the first time! He was quite happy. Zen was not so happy but accepted him willingly. We got 2 live breedings out of Big Brother. This complicated things however since we had done one AI with the first dog. So, this is how a dual-sired litter came about.
To top it off, Mr. Right and Zenny went to the repro vet one more time. This time they got a NORMAL sperm count on him... so guess what? Zen was inseminated AGAIN!!
2 dogs, 4 breedings. We left the north east to head back to Florida the day that Hurricane Sandy made landfall. We were gone almost 2 weeks.
I do not yet know if she is pregnant as it is still too soon. She is going for an ultrasound this Friday to find out.
If she isn't pregnant after all of that mess I will cry.
If she IS pregnant I will make a formal announcement. Right now I do not want to jinx myself. All puppies will be DNA identified to determine parentage if she has a litter.
It's been quite an adventure.
JW Mercury's Secret Obsession OA OAJ WAC CGC HIC UDC ATT
*My Soul Mate*
If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon!