Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Town Hall Topic - Loose Leash Walking
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Lexus
Alpha

Dogs Name: Gina and Remi, Harley and Scrappy, Angel Ramsey & Angel Lexus

Gallery Pics: 71
Visit Lexus's Gallery
Thanked 3,119 Times in 1,181 Posts

How did you teach your Doberman to not pull on a leash? Any particular methods did you use?I taught Lexus I guess by just rewarding her for keeping slack in the leash, and also have used the method where I stop dead if the leash gets tight.
At what age did you start to see any improvements? How often do they need reminders?I guess it was just a gradual thing that she learned to keep the line loose for the most part, I'm okay with her going to the end of the flexi and once feeling pressure, she holds up and waits a few seconds before moving on again. She does still get reminders periodically as we walk
What type of collar and leash do you use? (prong, harness, flexi, etc)That depends, usually if my intentions are to be on a loose leash and I know we will be in a public situation at some point while walking when we head out, I will put the prong on her with my 6ft leather working leash. Typically though she just on her flat nylon collar and I have my flexi I walk her with. But if I'm going in the woods to walk I put her harness on with the flexi, which she does tend to go to the end of her leash and feel a tug before she lets up, but she is enjoying the woods and scents too, so I never punish her, we just don't go on (which is what she desperately wants to do!) until she has let up.
What distractions are the hardest to overcome?Hmmm, for whatever reason there are certain people we pass in yards that she won't take her eyes off them, she NEVER barks, but she insists on facing them as we pass, so I usually call for her attention and give her a little tug to remind her to catch up with me.
Are there any particular situations that you find more difficult to walk in than others? (Large crowds, parks, other dogs around)Honestly, I don't ever have Lexus in a loose leash situation while walking in a crowd. If I stop to talk to someone and introduce her, she must sit, it has always been a rule, so it is an automatic with her now, after she is introduced, she is allowed to get up, especially if there is more than one person for her to get attention from. So then she is on a loose leash, but not really walking. Dogs don't really faze her too much. She does get distracted in PSplus, if there is no one in the aisle I let her have some slack to explore

And with her mom, oh lord, try to get any attention out of the two of them when they are together! All they do is whine under their breath and get really to launch into play I do like to walk the two of them on a connector, but they are always in a heel, they just need a frequent verbal reminder to relax. Yeah I can see me, I'd be like a kite flying behind them if I let them walk loosely! 150 (ish)lbs of happy dog woohooo! Mush mush!!

Okay I'll give my book a break now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexus For This Useful Post:
04tvoorhees (06-16-2013), JustGran (02-12-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome