Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Town Hall Topic – Veterinary Care
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 AM
brandtrn
Lil Pup

Dogs Name: Lucy and Ricky
Dogs Age: 2 years (Lucy) and 5 months (Ricky)
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit brandtrn's Gallery

*What type of Veterinarian do you use and why? (Traditional, holistic), How often do you take your dog to the vet and why? (routine visits, emergency care)

I suppose you could say that our veterinary clinic is more "traditional" than holistic, although they do offer some alternative treatments (i.e., acupuncture, chiropractic medicine, etc.). We use them because they have a good, solid reputation for excellent veterinary care, and our pets are comfortable with them. I tend to take my pets to the vet twice yearly (minimum -- more often if injuries or health issues develop) for their "well pet" checkups. Our vet is big on preventive health care, and I'm in full agreement with this.

*Are your dogs on the prescribed vaccination regiment they recommend? Do they get other vaccinations due to your environment surroundings? (Lyme disease, others)

My dogs get the prescribed vaccination regimen, definitely, and I also make certain that they're vaccinated against Lyme disease (we tend to have a large tick population in this area). My dogs also receive the bordetella vaccine, since they both visit the groomer on a regular basis, and my puppy goes to obedience training classes.

*What tests do you get done on a regular basis and/or have you established baselines to monitor their health?

I have my dogs tested for heartworm on a yearly basis, and I take fecal specimens in to be checked every six months.

*How do you treat wounds/injuries of your dog?(minor injuries like cuts and scraps) Does the vet do it all or do you do some your self? Do you have any type of training in emergency care of animals? Where did you get this training?

I treat minor wounds and injuries on my pets myself. While I've had no training in animal emergency care, I am a registered nurse, and feel reasonably confident in handling any minor injury that comes up. Anything other than a minor injury, however, would send me straight to the vet.

*How much faith do you have in vets? (believe everything they say, take recommendations under consideration)

As far as vets in general go, I probably have no more faith in them than I have in your average physician for humans. I have a great deal of confidence in our veterinarian, since I've known him for many years and trust his judgment, for the most part. Even though I have confidence in him, I still like to research things thoroughly myself. It pays to be an informed consumer.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome