Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Town Hall Topic – Veterinary Care
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:11 PM
TomAndKing
Alpha

Dogs Name: King -- R.I.P. My Boy
Dogs Age: 2 Years 4 months
Gallery Pics: 105
Visit TomAndKing's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to TomAndKing
  • What type of Veterinarian do you use and why? (Traditional, holistic), How often do you take your dog to the vet and why? (routine visits, emergency care)

King sees a traditional Verternarion mostly because I dont know of any other type in my area. King goes monthly to monitor his condition, and i will continue to do that for as long as i can afford it. Once King is well, i will then only take king every three months for a checkup. I take King in if i notice any odd behaviours, and anything kind of wound that i can not care for myself.

• Are your dogs on the prescribed vaccination regiment they recommend? Do they get other vaccinations due to your environment surroundings? (Lyme disease, others)

King is on the prescribed vaccination regiment. I also have him vaccinated for lyme disease, worms, along with revolution for mite/flea control.

• What tests do you get done on a regular basis and/or have you established baselines to monitor there health?

So far King has had a general blood panel done to set a base line, i will do one every year to be on the safe side. I have also had the liqud gold allergy test done, along with a few other blood/mite/fecal tests. I will continue to do this yearly as long as I have king.

• How do you treat wounds/injuries of your dog?(minor injuries like cuts and scraps) Does the vet do it all or do you do some your self? Do you have any type of training in emergency care of animals? Where did you get this training?

Most of the time I will take king in to have his wound inspected, cleaned and bandaged. If a wound comes up that i have already had treated in the past(such as worn pads), i will treat it myself. Fotunatly, King will let me touch his wounds without any problems.

• How much faith do you have in vets? (believe everything they say, take recommendations under consideration)
[/QUOTE]
I have ZERO faith in my current vet. I am also in the process of finding someone more sutable, and more familiar with this breed. I used to believe everything he said, but now i question everything and am actually have getting second opinions for everything that has been tested on already.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome