|12-21-2012, 04:17 AM||#1 (permalink)|
New to puppies
Things I have learned in week 1
Griffin has been home for a week today and it has sure been busy!
Here are the things I have done since fetching him last week Saturday:
1. Bought fold-up baby gates/playpen - life saver (not just mine, also the old chihuahua and the old cat)
2. Attached cord to a plastic plant pot and hung it from a tree - hours of self-induced fun! (Supervised at ALL times - cord wraps around body parts, also replaced string with thick cord so pup is less likely to bite through and swallow it, thanks to advice from Vivienne)
3. Cut out creeper stems from under tree mentioned above - creepers DO catch puppies!
4. Put up fences around sunken staircases (the property is on a hill and has 7 levels/ terraces, so there are lots of stairs) - puppies are too short to see drop offs and not so good at stopping when running at full tilt
5. Put up mesh at the end of each step up a staircase - yup, a puppy can go straight through a staircase, especially when losing courage near the top and turning around...(cable ties are my friend!)
6. Tucked the chihuahua's velboa tunnel bed under a chair - Griffin couldn't beleive his luck when he discovered the big square fluffy toy that growled when he jumped on it.
7. Cable tied a peg to the crate door as a mechanism to keep the door open - the only time he cried during the night was when he got out of the crate and was in his pen when the door closed behind him
8. Worked out an exercise program of short sets of sit-ups, push-ups, planks and jumps to fill in those periods when Griffin loses interest in me during playtime
9. Succumbed to the indignity of walking about the house with a leash around my waist and a chew stick in my pocket
What other unforseen dangers, opportunities and indignities can I look forward to?
Join Date: Nov 2012
|12-21-2012, 05:21 AM||#2 (permalink)|
Congratulations and welcome from Kansas. You sure have been busy. Sounds like pup is in good hands.
Join Date: Sep 2010
|12-21-2012, 06:06 AM||#3 (permalink)|
Location: Mooresville, IN
Dogs Name: "Gracie" Maggie May, AKA "GRACIE TRAIN"
Dogs Age: 6 monthsGallery Pics: 0
Visit JNKHANGMAN's Gallery
Thanked 89 Times in 41 Posts
Cant wait til pup really settles in on week two!
Join Date: Nov 2012
|The Following User Says Thank You to JNKHANGMAN For This Useful Post:|| |
|12-21-2012, 11:03 AM||#4 (permalink)|
Dogs Name: Jack Sharp
Titles: CGN, BH
Dogs Age: Born 09-03-13Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Hooligan's Gallery
Thanked 2,005 Times in 872 Posts
LOL. I'm sure Griffin will help you think of things to add to your week 2 to-do list.
Join Date: Jan 2011
|12-21-2012, 11:12 AM||#5 (permalink)|
Location: Sacramento, CA
Dogs Name: Flirt Dobe; Gabby Havoc and Envy - Vizslas
Titles: Flirt, OA, NAJ, NF Gabby Ch JH NA OAJ NF NJP - Havoc, GCH, JH OA OAJ , Envy CH, JH, RN, CGC, TDI
Dogs Age: 7, 11, 5, 1.5Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Adara's Gallery
Thanked 24,728 Times in 7,243 Posts
I leave cardboard boxes out for Envy to play in. She still loves them at 17 weeks. I also have toy tunnels from Toys R Us that I have out that she runs though and amuses herself.
LOVE your list
Flirt, ADAMAS All the Girls Do It, OA, NAJ, NF, CL2-F, CL2-H
Gabby, Ch Gold Run's Token of Rumor, JH, NA, OAJ, NF, NJP, CL2,CL3-H, CL3-F Vizsla
Havoc, BISS GCh HRQ Guess Who's In Trouble, JH, OA, OAJ, CL2-H, CL2-S, CL2-F Vizsla, National AOM winner
Envy, Ch Kizmar's Bailey HotShot of Adara, Vizsla, JH, RN, CGC, TDI National AOM winner
Join Date: May 2009
|The Following User Says Thank You to Adara For This Useful Post:|| |