Looking for knowledgeable vet in East Tennessee (Ear Cropping) - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Puppy Corner Everything Puppy related goes here

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Knoxville,Tn
Dogs Name: no name yet :)
Dogs Age: 7 weeks
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit JBlazier's Gallery
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Images: 2
 
Question Looking for knowledgeable vet in East Tennessee (Ear Cropping)

Hello everyone, New here at DT, and enjoying it! So, I'm going to be picking my very first Dobie pup up from my breeder in Chattanooga,TN this Sunday, which he will be 8 weeks old then. And unfortunately the breeder does not handle ear crops. And i was curious to know if anyone near or around Knoxville has some recommendations for me, on a knowledgeable and experienced vet. I've got a couple ideas, but would like some other opinions. I obviously do not want to wait very long before i go and have the crop done. With him being almost at 8 weeks. I'm willing to make a 2-3 hour drive if its the best solution for my pup. Thank you so much. Any info at all would be much appreciated!
JBlazier is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned
 
astra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,463

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit astra's Gallery
Thanks: 10,167
Thanked 8,975 Times in 2,745 Posts
                     
The only person that I would let crop my dogs ears in that area is:

Patricia Edwards, DVM
Rivercliff Animal Hospital
4776 Stone Mountain Highway
Lilburn, GA 30047
(770) 972-6270
Ear Cropping Specialist
Full Service Small Animal Practice
Personal Breeds: Doberman Pinchers, Briards
Home

Make the drive and invest the money. Ear cropping is an art and you should consider yourself lucky that you are within driving distance to one of the best and experienced Doberman ear croppers in the country.
astra is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astra For This Useful Post:
Adara (11-18-2011), brw1982 (11-18-2011), JBlazier (11-19-2011), maggiemay (11-19-2011), MeadowCat (11-19-2011), RottenVonSpotten (11-18-2011)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Holier Than Now
 
RedFawnRising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,480
Dogs Name: Whisper; George; Mina, Nashua, Arcus
Titles: George-Working Service Dog
Dogs Age: 9 yr, 5 yr, 4 yr, 2 yr, 1.5 yr
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit RedFawnRising's Gallery
Thanks: 72,169
Thanked 77,298 Times in 18,234 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlazier View Post
Hello everyone, New here at DT, and enjoying it! So, I'm going to be picking my very first Dobie pup up from my breeder in Chattanooga,TN this Sunday, which he will be 8 weeks old then. And unfortunately the breeder does not handle ear crops. And i was curious to know if anyone near or around Knoxville has some recommendations for me, on a knowledgeable and experienced vet. I've got a couple ideas, but would like some other opinions. I obviously do not want to wait very long before i go and have the crop done. With him being almost at 8 weeks. I'm willing to make a 2-3 hour drive if its the best solution for my pup. Thank you so much. Any info at all would be much appreciated!
Hi, welcome to DT.

I guess my initial reaction, after reading your post is--if the breeder doesn't handle ear cropping for their buyers, what else do they not do?

Did they handle having all the breeding stock screened at least annually, for Dilated Cardiomyopathy?

Are you aware that 50% of Dobermans die from this disease, and that it is inherited?

There are other pre-breeding tests that need to be done, but that's the first one I'd ask about--and nope, saying "they check out fine at my vets" is not even close to cutting it--these are specific tests which must be performed and documented, prior to ethical breeding decisions.

My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today~Richard Adams


"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
―Cyril Connolly
RedFawnRising is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedFawnRising For This Useful Post:
Adara (11-19-2011), brw1982 (11-18-2011), maggiemay (11-19-2011), MeadowCat (11-19-2011), RottenVonSpotten (11-18-2011)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Alpha
 
TheStig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 537
Location: NC
Dogs Name: The Stig
Titles: Stigleton Mazagatti, Esquire
Dogs Age: 2.6 years
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit TheStig's Gallery
Thanks: 43
Thanked 634 Times in 266 Posts
                     
You are only about 4.5 hours away from Dr. Harroff @

Ear Cropping | Veterinary and Animal Hospital Kannapolis, NC

He did my boys ears, there are a few pics in this thread:

Stiggerman Pinscher

I'm happy with them, plus I only had to post him around 4 total times, about 1.5 months and his ears were done (standing).

price was $349.50 and included pain meds/antibiotics.
TheStig is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TheStig For This Useful Post:
JBlazier (11-19-2011)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Knoxville,Tn
Dogs Name: no name yet :)
Dogs Age: 7 weeks
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit JBlazier's Gallery
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Images: 2
 
Thank you! I will definately make the drive. I had read about Dr Edwards in another topic somewhere, and i was very impressed. I was just curious to know if anyone in my immediate area had the talent that she does before i chose a certain vet. It is certainly music to the ears to hear that! Thanks again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The only person that I would let crop my dogs ears in that area is:

Patricia Edwards, DVM
Rivercliff Animal Hospital
4776 Stone Mountain Highway
Lilburn, GA 30047
(770) 972-6270
Ear Cropping Specialist
Full Service Small Animal Practice
Personal Breeds: Doberman Pinchers, Briards
Home

Make the drive and invest the money. Ear cropping is an art and you should consider yourself lucky that you are within driving distance to one of the best and experienced Doberman ear croppers in the country.
JBlazier is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Knoxville,Tn
Dogs Name: no name yet :)
Dogs Age: 7 weeks
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit JBlazier's Gallery
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Images: 2
 
Well yes i have asked about all the breeding stock being screened for Dialated Caridomyopathy and the answer is yes they have. I am very aware of the percentages and problematic areas dobermans face. I understand your concern also, you pose some very good questions. But i assure you the ear cropping is the only fault to be found in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFawnRising View Post
Hi, welcome to DT.

I guess my initial reaction, after reading your post is--if the breeder doesn't handle ear cropping for their buyers, what else do they not do?

Did they handle having all the breeding stock screened at least annually, for Dilated Cardiomyopathy?

Are you aware that 50% of Dobermans die from this disease, and that it is inherited?

There are other pre-breeding tests that need to be done, but that's the first one I'd ask about--and nope, saying "they check out fine at my vets" is not even close to cutting it--these are specific tests which must be performed and documented, prior to ethical breeding decisions.
JBlazier is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Alpha
 
RottenVonSpotten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,437
Dogs Name: Zambezi (Cane Corso); Otto (RIP)

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit RottenVonSpotten's Gallery
Thanks: 8,441
Thanked 6,622 Times in 1,973 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlazier View Post
Well yes i have asked about all the breeding stock being screened for Dialated Caridomyopathy and the answer is yes they have. I am very aware of the percentages and problematic areas dobermans face. I understand your concern also, you pose some very good questions. But i assure you the ear cropping is the only fault to be found in this case.
I know you already got some great vet recommendations, but I have to completely disagree that the "ear cropping is the only fault to be found in this case". I checked out your breeder in the other thread and they are not the type of breeder I would ever support.

Were the parents of your future puppy screened for just the DCM DNA gene? I would want to know their most recent holters and echos.

Last edited by RottenVonSpotten; 11-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.
RottenVonSpotten is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RottenVonSpotten For This Useful Post:
RedFawnRising (11-19-2011), sam&macksmom (11-19-2011), Sinister (11-19-2011)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Alpha
 
maggiemay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,248
Location: Spokane, WA
Dogs Name: Reba
Dogs Age: Birthdate/March 19,2008
Gallery Pics: 10
Visit maggiemay's Gallery
Thanks: 2,864
Thanked 2,386 Times in 994 Posts
Images: 10
                     
Click here to find out how maggiemay became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The only person that I would let crop my dogs ears in that area is:

Patricia Edwards, DVM
Rivercliff Animal Hospital
4776 Stone Mountain Highway
Lilburn, GA 30047
(770) 972-6270
Ear Cropping Specialist
Full Service Small Animal Practice
Personal Breeds: Doberman Pinchers, Briards
Home

Make the drive and invest the money. Ear cropping is an art and you should consider yourself lucky that you are within driving distance to one of the best and experienced Doberman ear croppers in the country.
Can we make this post a sticky?

Thank you, Astra!!

maggiemay is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to maggiemay For This Useful Post:
astra (11-19-2011)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned
 
astra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,463

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit astra's Gallery
Thanks: 10,167
Thanked 8,975 Times in 2,745 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
Can we make this post a sticky?

Thank you, Astra!!

maggiemay, you should post a pic of Reba so that the OP can see an example of what a GORGEOUS crop Dr. Edwards does. I LOVE her crop (well, truth be told, I LOVE EVERYTHING about Reba! She is SO GORGEOUS!).
astra is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to astra For This Useful Post:
maggiemay (11-19-2011)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Alpha
 
maggiemay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,248
Location: Spokane, WA
Dogs Name: Reba
Dogs Age: Birthdate/March 19,2008
Gallery Pics: 10
Visit maggiemay's Gallery
Thanks: 2,864
Thanked 2,386 Times in 994 Posts
Images: 10
                     
Click here to find out how maggiemay became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
maggiemay, you should post a pic of Reba so that the OP can see an example of what a GORGEOUS crop Dr. Edwards does. I LOVE her crop (well, truth be told, I LOVE EVERYTHING about Reba! She is SO GORGEOUS!).
This photo was taken when she was very young; I think 3 months and still being posted, but it gives a good idea of what the crop looks like. I love her crop also. Thanks!


maggiemay is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maggiemay For This Useful Post:
astra (11-19-2011), sam&macksmom (11-19-2011)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned
 
astra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,463

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit astra's Gallery
Thanks: 10,167
Thanked 8,975 Times in 2,745 Posts
                     
I hope maggiemay dosen't mind me posting these, but these are just 2 of my favorite pics of her GORGEOUS girl Reba. Look at her MAGNIFICENT crop. You get what you pay for James. PLEASE, if you are going to have your puppy cropped, don't use anyone else but Dr. Edwards.



astra is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astra For This Useful Post:
maggiemay (11-19-2011), sam&macksmom (11-19-2011)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Holier Than Now
 
RedFawnRising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,480
Dogs Name: Whisper; George; Mina, Nashua, Arcus
Titles: George-Working Service Dog
Dogs Age: 9 yr, 5 yr, 4 yr, 2 yr, 1.5 yr
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit RedFawnRising's Gallery
Thanks: 72,169
Thanked 77,298 Times in 18,234 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlazier View Post
Well yes i have asked about all the breeding stock being screened for Dialated Caridomyopathy and the answer is yes they have. I am very aware of the percentages and problematic areas dobermans face. I understand your concern also, you pose some very good questions. But i assure you the ear cropping is the only fault to be found in this case.
If you were in fact told that, you were lied to.

There is not one documented echo or holter noted on those Dobermans, nor are there any results listed for the PDK4 genetic marker test for Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM).

This is a backyard breeder--and I and others who volunteer with rescue do the hard, expensive, heartbreaking work of cleaning up their messes, every day of the year.

Just yesterday I transported and held for euth a five year old blue male, who came from exactly this type of breeder, and eventually landed in a bad situation, with severe behavioral and health issues.

Please, take a breath, do more research, and wait to support either an animal charity by rescuing thru a reputable rescue, or support a great ethical breeder who does more with their dogs than pop more puppies out of them.

My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today~Richard Adams


"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
―Cyril Connolly
RedFawnRising is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedFawnRising For This Useful Post:
maggiemay (11-20-2011), RottenVonSpotten (11-19-2011)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome