Has anyone ever dealt with a super food obsessed puppy before? Is this just the nature of puppies being puppies? My concerns with Blitz are that he is *so* incredibly obsessed with food that he will swallow treats whole (Greenie sticks, the long kong stuffer treats, Milk Bones, etc), or break them into pieces just small enough that he can gulp them down. He reminds me of a pelican swallowing fish whole!
His obsession extends to his own food as well. Currently, I feed him with a slow-feed bowl that is floor based. He will also steal people food whenever he gets the chance, no matter if it's on the counter or table. His last theft was a chunk of freshly cooked ham right off the kitchen counter!.............
Puppies!! I haven't had to raise a puppy for 12 years! It's amazing how much you forget!
- big puppy congrats.
PS - Milk Bones are made from Dead Animal rendered meat stock.
- always read the ingredient list & know what stuff means / top 10 should not be a negative
We only buy Benny Bully's Liver Chops (100% pure, human grade facility). http://www.bennybullys.com/eng/?liver-chops-dog-treats
Our 3rd puppy was the only one that ate fast.
- some breeders must let puppies eat together / others, not so much
- so survival of the fittest / and the food intake rush & fighting with litter mates, is on...or pup doesn't eat
So current Kelly's kibble was placed in a cup cake baking pan, to slow her down.
- took 2-3 months though, now she eats normal rate
Because Kelly was so food driven initially, she tried counter surfing till 7 months old.
- she finally stopped one day, when she was tall enough to figure out was was up there, without resorting to jumping up
We feed last bite here, of human food.
- but if any drooling starts, dog is sent to the couch
Surprisingly, this has worked out well - implemented in first week home.