The Agility Journal - Page 22 - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #526 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Like a Ninja
 
Jonesy'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,916
Location: Destin, Florida
Dogs Name: Jones, Jett, Steele, Aiko
Titles: 25, 20, bomb dog, and puppy
Dogs Age: Jones: 5 Jett: 2 Steele: 14 Aiko: puppy
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Jonesy'sMom's Gallery
Thanks: 4,810
Thanked 11,939 Times in 2,945 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Congrats and great photos too!


I just put in my entry for Birmingham, AL anyone going to that... (Also entered into the Huntsville, AL... And 2 Pensacola, FL trials) all within the next 2 months! busy couple of months!

~Summer~
Summer's Lost Ark Raider
MX MXJ MJB XF T2B CGC (ASCA) RS-E JS-E-SP GS-E
Jett von Pontiffhaus NA OAJ NF WAC IPO2 AD CGC (ASCA) RS-O JS-E GS-E CD RN

Elara's Aiko vom Herleven Puppy in training
Steele Fuzzy "Retired" Bomb Dog
Jonesy'sMom is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonesy'sMom For This Useful Post:
VZ-Doberman (11-04-2012)
Advertisement
 
post #527 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,652

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit VZ-Doberman's Gallery
Thanks: 9,189
Thanked 16,587 Times in 5,110 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy43 View Post
Here's what the older, less athletic,person looks like. Not nearly as smooth looking as the younger folk but I was thrilled to get our first Ex std leg. Now if we could only Q in Open jww.
Agility videos 2012 :: Mattaponi Sun Ex std video by Cathy43photo - Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy'sMom View Post
Congrats and great photos too!


I just put in my entry for Birmingham, AL anyone going to that... (Also entered into the Huntsville, AL... And 2 Pensacola, FL trials) all within the next 2 months! busy couple of months!

Good luck in your upcoming trials.
VZ-Doberman is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VZ-Doberman For This Useful Post:
Cathy43 (11-05-2012), Jonesy'sMom (11-04-2012)
post #528 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Get the bunnies!
 
the_discowhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,024
Location: Middle Earth
Dogs Name: Elsie & Ping
Titles: CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit the_discowhore's Gallery
Thanks: 14,214
Thanked 17,369 Times in 5,084 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Elsie had her first agility "run" at a show in the weekend! It was a novelty relay race fundraising for a dog rescue, had to get into a pair and one half did a jumps course while the other half did a tunnels course... We did the tunnels had lots of fun, Elsie got way over excited and was trying to grab my sleeves on the way past and was growling and snarling the whole way round the course LOL she did great though, totally focused on the task at hand and didn't even have a look around at anything else. She did every tunnel in the correct order, which was pretty good considering that some of the agility champ dogs did not make it around clear our team won a prize for the most eliminations sadly, as the jumpers dog on my team was very naughty haha.


Do it or Elsie CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA
Ch Alarves Completely Awesome (IMP Aus)
the_discowhore is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_discowhore For This Useful Post:
alwayshadpets (11-05-2012), Cathy43 (11-05-2012), Herb2relax (11-07-2012), Jonesy'sMom (11-04-2012), VZ-Doberman (11-04-2012)
post #529 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Alpha
 
Cathy43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,437
Location: VA
Dogs Name: RIP - Seven Hill's New Centurion "Pullo" ,Enchanted vom haus Do'Urden "Fei"
Titles: IPO 1,CD,AX,OAJ,ATT,U-AG1
Dogs Age: 2-23-07 to 2-17-12 ,4-23-10
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Cathy43's Gallery
Thanks: 7,040
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,491 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ-Doberman View Post
Just got back from the weekend. Outdoors, cold, windy, overcast......actually beyond cold.

We Qd in excellent standard for his MX, Qd in excellent jww twice and Qd in time2beat twice.

One of the judges came up to me and said I should get a prize for the hardest call offs.

There was a photographer there yesterday and he took pics of excellent standard. His website is...

Our photograpy or yours, share your images with style! Welcome to What An Impression!

Bacchus is the one with a wide red collar. I'm wearing a red storm coat and a hat.

What an awesome weekend! I would love to have that Q rate. Bacchus is a beast!

Mine wasn't nearly as good. No Q's in ag or ob but still some good runs. Wish I had asked someone to video. Had a great run on an International-style course but held a FC too long and caused a R.

Last edited by Cathy43; 11-05-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: trying to add course map
Cathy43 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cathy43 For This Useful Post:
VZ-Doberman (11-05-2012)
post #530 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Alpha
 
Cathy43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,437
Location: VA
Dogs Name: RIP - Seven Hill's New Centurion "Pullo" ,Enchanted vom haus Do'Urden "Fei"
Titles: IPO 1,CD,AX,OAJ,ATT,U-AG1
Dogs Age: 2-23-07 to 2-17-12 ,4-23-10
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Cathy43's Gallery
Thanks: 7,040
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,491 Posts
Images: 6
                     
well, it says it's too big.
Cathy43 is offline  
post #531 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Alpha
 
Cathy43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,437
Location: VA
Dogs Name: RIP - Seven Hill's New Centurion "Pullo" ,Enchanted vom haus Do'Urden "Fei"
Titles: IPO 1,CD,AX,OAJ,ATT,U-AG1
Dogs Age: 2-23-07 to 2-17-12 ,4-23-10
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Cathy43's Gallery
Thanks: 7,040
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,491 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Now I think it's too small.


If anyone wants to tell me how to show a course map in a more readable size, I'm all ears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0001.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	19134  

Last edited by Cathy43; 11-05-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: clueless
Cathy43 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cathy43 For This Useful Post:
VZ-Doberman (11-05-2012)
post #532 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,652

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit VZ-Doberman's Gallery
Thanks: 9,189
Thanked 16,587 Times in 5,110 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy43 View Post
Now I think it's too small.


If anyone wants to tell me how to show a course map in a more readable size, I'm all ears.
It's small but readable. Thanks.
VZ-Doberman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to VZ-Doberman For This Useful Post:
Cathy43 (11-05-2012)
post #533 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Get the bunnies!
 
the_discowhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,024
Location: Middle Earth
Dogs Name: Elsie & Ping
Titles: CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit the_discowhore's Gallery
Thanks: 14,214
Thanked 17,369 Times in 5,084 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Started weave training today!


Do it or Elsie CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA
Ch Alarves Completely Awesome (IMP Aus)
the_discowhore is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_discowhore For This Useful Post:
Cathy43 (11-08-2012), Herb2relax (11-07-2012)
post #534 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Alpha
 
Herb2relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,587
Location: Louisiana
Dogs Name: Tippy;CGC,TDI 8/02, Cujo 1/04, Kyrah;NJP, NAP 5/09 & Dexter 11/10
Titles: Loves of my life!

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Herb2relax's Gallery
Thanks: 7,465
Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,236 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberdeer View Post
After a year of training, tonight seems like we are back to day one! We had a Halloween costume party for drop-in tonight. Wow did we do bad! Might be all of the commotion and alot of new people there. I'm glad that my husband couldn't figure out the camera. That would have been a nightmare type movie!

Back to early morning training schedule I guess. Been getting lazy with the cold morning and early darkness when we get home..
I can agree with everyone on this one. Finally Kyrah and I got to move up to a performance class at the club. What does Kyrah do the first night? Hmmm....have I ever seen a teeter before? I dont think so. I had to put her leash on and walk her across it. The second week still refusing it in class tho at home doing it reluctantly. Well that was about a month ago. Tonight she was on her game and did an awesome job all night on her runs. She is a roller coaster ride!


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_discowhore View Post
Started weave training today!
How awesome! You going to use 2x2's? I started Dexter a few weeks ago on 2x2's. Sadly he isnt picking it up like Kyrah did.


What would I do without them?
Herb2relax is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Herb2relax For This Useful Post:
doberdeer (11-07-2012)
post #535 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Get the bunnies!
 
the_discowhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,024
Location: Middle Earth
Dogs Name: Elsie & Ping
Titles: CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit the_discowhore's Gallery
Thanks: 14,214
Thanked 17,369 Times in 5,084 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb2relax View Post
How awesome! You going to use 2x2's? I started Dexter a few weeks ago on 2x2's. Sadly he isnt picking it up like Kyrah did.
Yeah absolutely She did well today, lucky she is clever and drivey as heck... Running contacts are on the agenda for this summer too


Do it or Elsie CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA
Ch Alarves Completely Awesome (IMP Aus)
the_discowhore is offline  
post #536 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Alpha
 
Herb2relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,587
Location: Louisiana
Dogs Name: Tippy;CGC,TDI 8/02, Cujo 1/04, Kyrah;NJP, NAP 5/09 & Dexter 11/10
Titles: Loves of my life!

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Herb2relax's Gallery
Thanks: 7,465
Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,236 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_discowhore View Post
Yeah absolutely She did well today, lucky she is clever and drivey as heck... Running contacts are on the agenda for this summer too
Thats what I am wondering about Dexter. He is so drivey. Way different than Kyrah. I want to keep training with the drive like using toys. But thinking maybe for the weaves I should slow him down by using treats.


What would I do without them?
Herb2relax is offline  
post #537 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM
denormalized
 
vivienne00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,779
Location: 45.452538,-123.074104
Dogs Name: Enid, Jill, Lana, Callan
Titles: yes
Dogs Age: 7-4-04, 3-16-11, 5-11-12, 11-11-15
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit vivienne00's Gallery
Thanks: 15,683
Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,337 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb2relax View Post
Thats what I am wondering about Dexter. He is so drivey. Way different than Kyrah. I want to keep training with the drive like using toys. But thinking maybe for the weaves I should slow him down by using treats.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please don't slow him down with treats - just take your time to make him successful all the time with the weaves and get those fast double dancing weaves that he can do.

Use wide channels and just start by throwing the toy thru and have him run straight to the toy and gradually close the channels until he starts to weave his little body. Just throw toys to make the weaves so much fun. Little dogs don't get hung up in the weaves - I take that back - Jill got hung up in the weaves on Tuesday and dragged them over.


the boys (rip): Cato, Emerald's Black Onyx, Emerald's Black Quartz
Owned by the girls: Enid, Jill (kelpie) and Lana.
vivienne00 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivienne00 For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-10-2012), the_discowhore (11-08-2012)
post #538 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Get the bunnies!
 
the_discowhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,024
Location: Middle Earth
Dogs Name: Elsie & Ping
Titles: CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit the_discowhore's Gallery
Thanks: 14,214
Thanked 17,369 Times in 5,084 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Don't slow him down! Never never never!


Do it or Elsie CDX UDX TT1 JDX AD RA
Ch Alarves Completely Awesome (IMP Aus)
the_discowhore is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_discowhore For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-10-2012), vivienne00 (11-08-2012)
post #539 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Like a Ninja
 
Jonesy'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,916
Location: Destin, Florida
Dogs Name: Jones, Jett, Steele, Aiko
Titles: 25, 20, bomb dog, and puppy
Dogs Age: Jones: 5 Jett: 2 Steele: 14 Aiko: puppy
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Jonesy'sMom's Gallery
Thanks: 4,810
Thanked 11,939 Times in 2,945 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Thought....

Do you think I could speed Jones up by doing Channel weaves? I mean he already knows the weave, but do you think if we did the channels I could speed him up...

I never taught him channels or did 2x2 he learned on the straight weaves by luring...

~Summer~
Summer's Lost Ark Raider
MX MXJ MJB XF T2B CGC (ASCA) RS-E JS-E-SP GS-E
Jett von Pontiffhaus NA OAJ NF WAC IPO2 AD CGC (ASCA) RS-O JS-E GS-E CD RN

Elara's Aiko vom Herleven Puppy in training
Steele Fuzzy "Retired" Bomb Dog
Jonesy'sMom is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonesy'sMom For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-10-2012)
post #540 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,652

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit VZ-Doberman's Gallery
Thanks: 9,189
Thanked 16,587 Times in 5,110 Posts
                     
We now have 39 titles. We got 3 in one week.

MX
BN
MXJ

We entered the obedience class in a failed attempt to have Bacchus rediscover his stay at the start..........he's still searching.
VZ-Doberman is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VZ-Doberman For This Useful Post:
Asmit (11-14-2012), Cathy43 (11-10-2012), Herb2relax (11-10-2012), Jonesy'sMom (11-10-2012), Rosemary (11-10-2012)
post #541 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
denormalized
 
vivienne00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,779
Location: 45.452538,-123.074104
Dogs Name: Enid, Jill, Lana, Callan
Titles: yes
Dogs Age: 7-4-04, 3-16-11, 5-11-12, 11-11-15
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit vivienne00's Gallery
Thanks: 15,683
Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,337 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy'sMom View Post
Thought....

Do you think I could speed Jones up by doing Channel weaves? I mean he already knows the weave, but do you think if we did the channels I could speed him up...

I never taught him channels or did 2x2 he learned on the straight weaves by luring...
Yes you can speed him up with the channels. You just need poles stuck in the ground about a foot apart and have him run thru for a target with a reward or preferably for a thrown toy. once he is consistently running thru - not galloping - start closing the poles by 1" at a time and make sure he is successful. Once he starts using his weaving hips again, take it slower in terms of closing the poles - you want every run to continue to be running thru (maybe a little slower than the 1st few times).

I used a WAM to speed up the 1st weaves I taught which were also lured thru straight poles. The WAM forms a V-shape and the dog learns their footing with them forming a 90* angle (pole to pole when looking thru them). Gradually closing them up, you retain the speed and the footing. I had trouble with the last 1" of channels and the WAM solved that one too. I have plans for a WAM made out of PVC - 24" spacing - somewhere.




the boys (rip): Cato, Emerald's Black Onyx, Emerald's Black Quartz
Owned by the girls: Enid, Jill (kelpie) and Lana.

Last edited by vivienne00; 11-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
vivienne00 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivienne00 For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-10-2012), Jonesy'sMom (11-10-2012), Rosemary (11-10-2012)
post #542 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Alpha
 
Herb2relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,587
Location: Louisiana
Dogs Name: Tippy;CGC,TDI 8/02, Cujo 1/04, Kyrah;NJP, NAP 5/09 & Dexter 11/10
Titles: Loves of my life!

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Herb2relax's Gallery
Thanks: 7,465
Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,236 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ-Doberman View Post
We now have 39 titles. We got 3 in one week.

MX
BN
MXJ

We entered the obedience class in a failed attempt to have Bacchus rediscover his stay at the start..........he's still searching.
Awesome! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienne00 View Post
Yes you can speed him up with the channels. You just need poles stuck in the ground about a foot apart and have him run thru for a target with a reward or preferably for a thrown toy. once he is consistently running thru - not galloping - start closing the poles by 1" at a time and make sure he is successful. Once he starts using his weaving hips again, take it slower in terms of closing the poles - you want every run to continue to be running thru (maybe a little slower than the 1st few times).
You say yes we can speed up our weaves. I am curious b/c I actually made a new plan for Kyrah today. I have channel weaves and decided to open them for her. I figured I should even rename it for her. Since we wont be trailing until next year I was thinking that I would not have her do weaves even at practice unless they were opened. Then slowly ever so slowly close them. Do you believe even tho she was learned her weaves where she two paw hops thru that she would be able to change it to one stepping thru them? Isnt it a memory that will be hard to overcome? I also worry that she will not want the pole bumping her side. She ran into a pole as a puppy that rocked her world. I seriously think she remembers it and doesnt like things bumping her.

I wont slow Dexter down. He just flys! Sometimes he does the two sets of poles then I am assuming if he is overly excited he just cant seem to get them both. Ugh! I am not rushing it and just keep taking it a day at a time. Kyrah just picked up the concept so easily. Also with Dexter I can usually only do it once a day. Which I would prefer 3 very short sessions a day. Construction is killing me!


What would I do without them?
Herb2relax is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Herb2relax For This Useful Post:
VZ-Doberman (11-10-2012)
post #543 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
denormalized
 
vivienne00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,779
Location: 45.452538,-123.074104
Dogs Name: Enid, Jill, Lana, Callan
Titles: yes
Dogs Age: 7-4-04, 3-16-11, 5-11-12, 11-11-15
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit vivienne00's Gallery
Thanks: 15,683
Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,337 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Funny about that. I taught Yoda his weaves using the WAM. He learned a great single step method but as soon as we got them almost closed he started hopping. In trials he would get into the poles with his single-step then start hopping about pole#3 and finish with a hop. Whatever...

With Kyra, I would start the weaves open as far as you can get and work on her loving to finish the weaves to get her target food or toy. Sure it is muscle memory and what you are saying is that you want her muscles to forget about hopping and learn how to single step. Therefore, you will have to repeat the process lots of times until she automatically single steps thru. Once she starts to touch the poles, keep it there for a good while with lots of reward so that she learns to associate pole touching with good things. You could also shape her to wrap around a pole - just a single pole - so that touching a pole is fun.

I have had to go back to square one with Jill 3 times now for the teeter. She has gone thru way more fear phases than I expected and each time the teeter and its noise have been involved. She now can grab the teeter from any height and slam it on the ground. She can take any door in the house and slam it open or closed (depends where she is in relation to the door). And we are back to a teeter at half height that she will take from either end (the right end or grab the wrong end, bring it down and run to the "start" end). This time I am going to start adding noise makers under where the teeter comes down while we are still at half height - just a small piece of wood to start with and work up to loud banging boards.

It is the same command - "teeter" - and she races up the end that I show her and she runs to the end without issue. I have retrained a few things with the same command on different dogs. But whenever I teach a different end behavior for contacts, I give it a new name - end, spot, target, touch, etc. Then the trick is to know which one you are using for which dog - lol.


the boys (rip): Cato, Emerald's Black Onyx, Emerald's Black Quartz
Owned by the girls: Enid, Jill (kelpie) and Lana.
vivienne00 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to vivienne00 For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-13-2012)
post #544 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Alpha
 
AgileDobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 582
Location: St. Francis, MN
Dogs Name: Delta, Ava, Grace, Draco, and Reva
Titles: 5x Top 20 MACH7 CD RN MXF T2B TQX CGC, Top 20 CH MACH3 XF T2B, MX MJB, U-CH MX MXJ WAC, NAJ mjr. ptd
Dogs Age: 9,6,5,3,2
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit AgileDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 998
Thanked 2,355 Times in 449 Posts
                     
There certainly is potential to speed up weaves, and opening up the channels is very helpful in this process. If a dog was familiar with channel weaves and had good footwork they won't have to be opened very far and I would really work the motivation aspect.

If a lack of speed is due to poor footwork you way have to open them up farther. I like the single step on each side of the poles, BUT this isn't really possible for some dogs. The structure of their front and rear plays a big roll in how far they can reach, along with their height and length of leg. Delta will single stride most of the poles but around pole eight or so she usually needs a double stride so she can reach around the next pole (if that makes sense).

I am not very particular what style my dogs choose is as long as it is consistent and they are showing good motivation and enthusiasm. The biggest difference I see in my dogs is what they do with their rear. Delta keeps her rear legs firmly underneath her and always together, Ava almost swims and lets her rear trail behind, while Draco and Grace power of their rears and use each leg independently.





MACH7 Delta Duchess of Davenport CD RN MXC2 MJB3 MXF T2B TQX CGC - Delta
CH MACH3 Mandre's Grace Under Fire MXC MJB2 XF T2B - Grace
LH's Heart of a Dragon MX MXJ MJB - Draco
Dancing Star's Born To Prevail NAJ (major pointed) - Reva
U-CH Tri-Star's Avalon Sunset MX MXB MXJ MJB OF WAC ATT CGC VCX - Ava

Juneau Duchess of Davenport OA AXJ MXP3 MXPB MJP5 MJPS PAX - Juneau
11.22.1999 - 10.6.2009 - DCM/CHF
AgileDobe is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AgileDobe For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-13-2012), Jonesy'sMom (11-13-2012), vivienne00 (11-13-2012)
post #545 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Alpha
 
Herb2relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,587
Location: Louisiana
Dogs Name: Tippy;CGC,TDI 8/02, Cujo 1/04, Kyrah;NJP, NAP 5/09 & Dexter 11/10
Titles: Loves of my life!

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Herb2relax's Gallery
Thanks: 7,465
Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,236 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienne00 View Post
Funny about that. I taught Yoda his weaves using the WAM. He learned a great single step method but as soon as we got them almost closed he started hopping. In trials he would get into the poles with his single-step then start hopping about pole#3 and finish with a hop. Whatever...

With Kyra, I would start the weaves open as far as you can get and work on her loving to finish the weaves to get her target food or toy. Sure it is muscle memory and what you are saying is that you want her muscles to forget about hopping and learn how to single step. Therefore, you will have to repeat the process lots of times until she automatically single steps thru. Once she starts to touch the poles, keep it there for a good while with lots of reward so that she learns to associate pole touching with good things. You could also shape her to wrap around a pole - just a single pole - so that touching a pole is fun.

I have had to go back to square one with Jill 3 times now for the teeter. She has gone thru way more fear phases than I expected and each time the teeter and its noise have been involved. She now can grab the teeter from any height and slam it on the ground. She can take any door in the house and slam it open or closed (depends where she is in relation to the door). And we are back to a teeter at half height that she will take from either end (the right end or grab the wrong end, bring it down and run to the "start" end). This time I am going to start adding noise makers under where the teeter comes down while we are still at half height - just a small piece of wood to start with and work up to loud banging boards.

It is the same command - "teeter" - and she races up the end that I show her and she runs to the end without issue. I have retrained a few things with the same command on different dogs. But whenever I teach a different end behavior for contacts, I give it a new name - end, spot, target, touch, etc. Then the trick is to know which one you are using for which dog - lol.
I will work on the idea of wrapping a single pole. I guess I shouldnt worry so much about how her feet are. She is showing WAY more motivation lately thru the weaves. Of course that is always subject to change at a trial.

Yes, my teeter has a cake pan nailed under the down side and I have the top part of a broiler pan and a cookie sheet on the ground under it. Dexter was doing the teeter awesome until he did the one at the field. LOL It scared the crap out of him with that bang and I am sure a different feel under his feet.

I know what you mean about different commands different dogs and I am trying very hard not to do that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileDobe View Post
There certainly is potential to speed up weaves, and opening up the channels is very helpful in this process. If a dog was familiar with channel weaves and had good footwork they won't have to be opened very far and I would really work the motivation aspect.

If a lack of speed is due to poor footwork you way have to open them up farther. I like the single step on each side of the poles, BUT this isn't really possible for some dogs. The structure of their front and rear plays a big roll in how far they can reach, along with their height and length of leg. Delta will single stride most of the poles but around pole eight or so she usually needs a double stride so she can reach around the next pole (if that makes sense).

I am not very particular what style my dogs choose is as long as it is consistent and they are showing good motivation and enthusiasm. The biggest difference I see in my dogs is what they do with their rear. Delta keeps her rear legs firmly underneath her and always together, Ava almost swims and lets her rear trail behind, while Draco and Grace power of their rears and use each leg independently.
I have paid so much attention to her front legs that I dont know what her back legs do. I will have to watch.

As I mentioned above she has been showing WAY more motivation thru the weaves and on the course for that matter. My new instructor has told me that I should be treating her randomly on the field when we are practicing. Of course none of my other instructors have told me that. and I seriously feel this has helped her lots. I also feel that lately I have been working Dexter and she doesnt care for that very much. Another key factor IMO is that since construction has started she has not been able to lounge around at her leisure on her leather couch or spend as much time with me.


What would I do without them?
Herb2relax is offline  
post #546 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
denormalized
 
vivienne00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,779
Location: 45.452538,-123.074104
Dogs Name: Enid, Jill, Lana, Callan
Titles: yes
Dogs Age: 7-4-04, 3-16-11, 5-11-12, 11-11-15
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit vivienne00's Gallery
Thanks: 15,683
Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,337 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb2relax View Post
My new instructor has told me that I should be treating her randomly on the field when we are practicing. Of course none of my other instructors have told me that. and I seriously feel this has helped her lots.
I didn't quite understand what you meant here. Most trainers have a view of rewards along these lines: each dog/trainer has a bank account and the trainer adds into the account for every reward given for something the dog did; when you go into a trial, you want to have a high account level for every obstacle and handling technique the team uses.

I agree that you need to do both - maintain a high reward level for small sections of course or individual obstacles, and do larger stretches much less often so that the dog understands that sometimes they don't get the expected reward at the expected time but get a huge one at the end (jackpot, lots of play) like happens at a trial.

Most trainers agree that handlers do NOT reward their dogs often enough and fail to go back to basics often enough to make sure that the small things are done right and rewarded. Right now, I could give two hoots for correct course completion - I have finally learned to give no clue that Jill did not take a jump or did an off-course; my rewards are for speed and attitude and some side work on obstacles like teeter.


the boys (rip): Cato, Emerald's Black Onyx, Emerald's Black Quartz
Owned by the girls: Enid, Jill (kelpie) and Lana.
vivienne00 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vivienne00 For This Useful Post:
Cathy43 (11-17-2012), Herb2relax (11-17-2012), Jenny (11-15-2012), Jonesy'sMom (11-14-2012)
post #547 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Alpha
 
Herb2relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,587
Location: Louisiana
Dogs Name: Tippy;CGC,TDI 8/02, Cujo 1/04, Kyrah;NJP, NAP 5/09 & Dexter 11/10
Titles: Loves of my life!

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Herb2relax's Gallery
Thanks: 7,465
Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,236 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienne00 View Post
I didn't quite understand what you meant here. Most trainers have a view of rewards along these lines: each dog/trainer has a bank account and the trainer adds into the account for every reward given for something the dog did; when you go into a trial, you want to have a high account level for every obstacle and handling technique the team uses.

I agree that you need to do both - maintain a high reward level for small sections of course or individual obstacles, and do larger stretches much less often so that the dog understands that sometimes they don't get the expected reward at the expected time but get a huge one at the end (jackpot, lots of play) like happens at a trial.

Most trainers agree that handlers do NOT reward their dogs often enough and fail to go back to basics often enough to make sure that the small things are done right and rewarded. Right now, I could give two hoots for correct course completion - I have finally learned to give no clue that Jill did not take a jump or did an off-course; my rewards are for speed and attitude and some side work on obstacles like teeter.
What a great post!

I meant pretty much what u said. I have taught Kyrah the jackpot at the end also. That in itself has been great! At the last two trials she about drug me back to our area. YAY! I have finally gotten to where I can do the same; keep going if I mess up or she misses a jump, we keep going and the reward is still there. I did learn awhile back to ignore people who want to talk/discuss after a run. Kyrah gets my full attention first!


What would I do without them?
Herb2relax is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herb2relax For This Useful Post:
vivienne00 (11-17-2012), VZ-Doberman (11-17-2012)
post #548 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Alpha
 
Cathy43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,437
Location: VA
Dogs Name: RIP - Seven Hill's New Centurion "Pullo" ,Enchanted vom haus Do'Urden "Fei"
Titles: IPO 1,CD,AX,OAJ,ATT,U-AG1
Dogs Age: 2-23-07 to 2-17-12 ,4-23-10
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Cathy43's Gallery
Thanks: 7,040
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,491 Posts
Images: 6
                     
A funny thing happened Yesterday at Concord.

Fei and I were running in Ex std when I saw a bar on the ground at a jump. I'm thinking "Huh? We haven't been here yet." I thought they had forgot to set the bar from the previous dog. So, we finish the run, it was nice and I was celebrating. The judge comes up and say, laughing, "I need you to just jump this one jump again."

It's turns out that the judge had bumped into the jump and knocked the bar before we got there. Talking about pressure! Anyway, we got our 2nd Std leg but we still have no Open jumpers legs because of knocked bars.
Cathy43 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cathy43 For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-18-2012), vivienne00 (11-17-2012), VZ-Doberman (11-17-2012)
post #549 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM
denormalized
 
vivienne00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,779
Location: 45.452538,-123.074104
Dogs Name: Enid, Jill, Lana, Callan
Titles: yes
Dogs Age: 7-4-04, 3-16-11, 5-11-12, 11-11-15
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit vivienne00's Gallery
Thanks: 15,683
Thanked 13,348 Times in 4,337 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy43 View Post
Fei and I were running in Ex std when I saw a bar on the ground at a jump. I'm thinking "Huh? We haven't been here yet." I thought they had forgot to set the bar from the previous dog. So, we finish the run, it was nice and I was celebrating. The judge comes up and say, laughing, "I need you to just jump this one jump again."

It's turns out that the judge had bumped into the jump and knocked the bar before we got there. Talking about pressure! Anyway, we got our 2nd Std leg but we still have no Open jumpers legs because of knocked bars.
How weird. I must ask some people about that. Congrats on getting your 2nd std leg.


the boys (rip): Cato, Emerald's Black Onyx, Emerald's Black Quartz
Owned by the girls: Enid, Jill (kelpie) and Lana.
vivienne00 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivienne00 For This Useful Post:
Cathy43 (11-18-2012), VZ-Doberman (11-17-2012)
post #550 of 1397 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Alpha
 
Cathy43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,437
Location: VA
Dogs Name: RIP - Seven Hill's New Centurion "Pullo" ,Enchanted vom haus Do'Urden "Fei"
Titles: IPO 1,CD,AX,OAJ,ATT,U-AG1
Dogs Age: 2-23-07 to 2-17-12 ,4-23-10
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Cathy43's Gallery
Thanks: 7,040
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,491 Posts
Images: 6
                     
I didn't ask the judge too many questions. LOL. I just wanted my Q. I think he said something about having to complete all obstacles at their correct height or something. Since it was his fault the bar fell, he didn't fault me. Someone told me that it wasn't a top bar but one of the lower ones on the double. it was happening too fast for me to notice and no video.
Wonder if there's even a ruling on such a contingency?
Cathy43 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cathy43 For This Useful Post:
Herb2relax (11-18-2012)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome