First time Doberman owner - need help! - Page 2 - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums

New member introduction If you are a new member to www.Dobermantalk.com please say Hi

DobermanTalk.com is the premier Doberman Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Guardian
 
Vormund15's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,384

Gallery Pics: 5
Visit Vormund15's Gallery
Thanks: 734
Thanked 1,581 Times in 713 Posts
Images: 5
Vormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond reputeVormund15 has a reputation beyond repute
I would get that leg looked at asap, especially if you are thinking of showing her...
Vormund15 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Jul 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lexie's mom
 
aby519@yahoo.com's Avatar
 
Posts: 12
Dogs Name: Lexie
Dogs Age: 10 weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit aby519@yahoo.com's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
aby519@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Tried to post twice yesterday, but wouldn't go thru for some reason.

She is a nice looking girl.

That leg is very worrisome tho. You should call your nearest DPCA chapter for a reference of a vet that is knowledgeable of large breed puppies, specifically doberman puppies. The leg could self correct or get much worse. I wouldn't suggest waiting it out.

Read the sticky in the puppy section about "Overgrowing Your Puppy..." about feeding and supplimenting large breed puppies. For now you should stop all suppliments and treats except the vit C. You can use the Canidae kibble for training treats. Only use the tiniest amount of the canned food unless it is an all life stages too.

Are you leash walking her for very long distances? Even a block and back is too long. Try to keep her from spending much time on slick surfaces.

Please do keep us informed on her progress.
Thanks so much for your reply!
I have an appt to see our Vet on Feb 2nd. Her 12 wk ck up! The leg doesn't always look so 'knuckled', just off and on. I'll try to post a new pic of her when they are straighter looking!

We did put down rugs on our kitchen floor,..although she spends most of the day in the great room, (carpeted area).

As for walks,..I am very limited because of the freezing temps here, (single digits, and teens right now, but mostly in the 20's and 30's for our typical winter), she can't tolerate the cold; AND, since she's only had one set of puppy shots so far, I don't want to chance even taking her to the pet store to walk yet,..(not safe),...who knows 'what' comes in there!! I am very limited on space in my house, but you're right, she definitely needs more exercise! Can't wait till Spring!

Why is Cannidae all life stages food not good? She gets only about a tsp of wet, BB Freedom for puppies, just to moisten the food. My breeder recommended the puppy calcium w phosphorous (only for only a few months),..why is that dangerous? I feel I should trust my breeders 40+ yrs of experience, and right now, I see no reason to question that judgement because of the history of gorgeous, healthy, quality, champion show/performance dogs, with top accolades.

I definitely will look into DPCA to see if they agree with my choice of Vet's. Although my Vet has been in practice for many years, and I've been with him for several years, I do wonder how much experience he has with the Doberman breed!
Also I will check out the post you recommended re:"Overgrowing your puppy".

Thanks again for your feedback,..I'll be sure to post progress reports!
aby519@yahoo.com is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Jan 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to aby519@yahoo.com For This Useful Post:
LindaH (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Big Pup
 
Posts: 33
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit JAGABAGS's Gallery
Thanks: 42
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
JAGABAGS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRougeCayenne View Post
Do any of y'all's Dobies moan when moving around during sleep. Mine lays down and every time she moves she moans like awe I'm comfortable again. It's too funny


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
O Yea! I run Koda a lot and sometimes when he sleeps, I am sure he's dreaming of his last run. It's hysterical!
JAGABAGS is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Mar 2012
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Alpha
 
noodlerubyallie's Avatar
 
Posts: 605
Location: Iowa
Dogs Name: Ruby, Noodle, Allie, Rocket, Poison
Titles: U-CH/CD/BN/RN/RA/CAA/TT/CGC/TDI
Dogs Age: 9, 8, 6, 5, 15 months
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit noodlerubyallie's Gallery
Thanks: 743
Thanked 1,097 Times in 377 Posts
noodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond reputenoodlerubyallie has a reputation beyond repute
Even with freezing temps, you can still dress her for the weather and take her outside to play.

Rocket has several sweaters that do very nicely. Once you get them warm, they don't notice. Pick up a flirt pole for fun, that'll wear her out fast!
__________________

Thank you Sizzle!

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA CGC TDI TT
MBIMBS U-CH Poison CA - AKC ptd
Ruby the Sibe - CD RA
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
noodlerubyallie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Nov 2008
The Following User Says Thank You to noodlerubyallie For This Useful Post:
GingerGunlock (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Vewwy Skebpbbtical
 
LindaH's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,912
Dogs Name: Sunburg's Indian River Park "Parker"
Dogs Age: Born May 24, 2007
Gallery Pics: 25
Visit LindaH's Gallery
Thanks: 20,609
Thanked 19,485 Times in 8,180 Posts
Images: 25
LindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond reputeLindaH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aby519@yahoo.com View Post
Thanks so much for your reply!
I have an appt to see our Vet on Feb 2nd. Her 12 wk ck up! The leg doesn't always look so 'knuckled', just off and on. I'll try to post a new pic of her when they are straighter looking!

We did put down rugs on our kitchen floor,..although she spends most of the day in the great room, (carpeted area).

As for walks,..I am very limited because of the freezing temps here, (single digits, and teens right now, but mostly in the 20's and 30's for our typical winter), she can't tolerate the cold; AND, since she's only had one set of puppy shots so far, I don't want to chance even taking her to the pet store to walk yet,..(not safe),...who knows 'what' comes in there!! I am very limited on space in my house, but you're right, she definitely needs more exercise! Can't wait till Spring!

Why is Cannidae all life stages food not good? She gets only about a tsp of wet, BB Freedom for puppies, just to moisten the food. My breeder recommended the puppy calcium w phosphorous (only for only a few months),..why is that dangerous? I feel I should trust my breeders 40+ yrs of experience, and right now, I see no reason to question that judgement because of the history of gorgeous, healthy, quality, champion show/performance dogs, with top accolades.

I definitely will look into DPCA to see if they agree with my choice of Vet's. Although my Vet has been in practice for many years, and I've been with him for several years, I do wonder how much experience he has with the Doberman breed!
Also I will check out the post you recommended re:"Overgrowing your puppy".

Thanks again for your feedback,..I'll be sure to post progress reports!
Didn't say the Canidae was bad for her or to stop feeding it, just said you could use it for treats...instead of whatever you are giving now.

You will just have to do what you feel best for your puppy. We don't agree with the extra calcium, but she's your puppy and I understand why you feel the way you do.

It is good that she doesn't knuckle over all the time.

Best wishes and be sure to keep us updated and to stay and post pictures as she grows.
__________________
All dogs deserve a good home

Subscribe to this newsletter first:
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/

How to select a good dog food:
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/vie...y-dog-food.htm

Dog food information:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

Diet additives and Raw diet information
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/index.html
LindaH is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Lexie's mom
 
aby519@yahoo.com's Avatar
 
Posts: 12
Dogs Name: Lexie
Dogs Age: 10 weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit aby519@yahoo.com's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
aby519@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Didn't say the Canidae was bad for her or to stop feeding it, just said you could use it for treats...instead of whatever you are giving now.

You will just have to do what you feel best for your puppy. We don't agree with the extra calcium, but she's your puppy and I understand why you feel the way you do.

It is good that she doesn't knuckle over all the time.

Best wishes and be sure to keep us updated and to stay and post pictures as she grows.
Thanks,..will do!
aby519@yahoo.com is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Jan 2013
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lexie's mom
 
aby519@yahoo.com's Avatar
 
Posts: 12
Dogs Name: Lexie
Dogs Age: 10 weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit aby519@yahoo.com's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
aby519@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlerubyallie View Post
Even with freezing temps, you can still dress her for the weather and take her outside to play.

Rocket has several sweaters that do very nicely. Once you get them warm, they don't notice. Pick up a flirt pole for fun, that'll wear her out fast!
Never heard of a "flirt pole",..what is it?
aby519@yahoo.com is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Jan 2013
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Always Grateful
 
triciakoontz's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,214
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Dogs Name: Hera Bella Dei Dohse (Bella), Mercury's Prince of the Universe (Boon)
Dogs Age: 8/13/07;12/29/12
Gallery Pics: 22
Visit triciakoontz's Gallery
Thanks: 5,310
Thanked 7,776 Times in 2,791 Posts
Images: 22
triciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond reputetriciakoontz has a reputation beyond repute
Click here to find out how triciakoontz became a supporter
Your little girl is beautiful!! You have a big obligation to train her daily and exercise her daily,no matter what the weather. Here are some tips:

A flirt pole is this: Dog Flirt Pole- Exersize, Training, Prey Drive Toy/Tool.mov - YouTube.

I make my own, it's very easy and cheap. They are the BEST thing for wearing out a puppy. For a very young pup like yours I would cut a stick about 2.5 feet long out of a young thin sapling tree. Cut off all the side branches very close, and sand the stick smooth. I use a thin nylon cord from the hardware store and a toy that my dog has never seen (soft toy that is easy for the pup to grab). If you don't have access to a sapling, you could use a thin dowel but it will not be nice and flexible like the sapling stick. Tie the cord securely to the stick end and make a slip knot at the other end to put around the toy. That way you can rotate toys, wash the toy, etc. There are more videos showing you how to use it. With a young puppy, do NOT tug upward on the line with the pup, don't lift the pup off his feet, don't jerk the toy hard, and be sure to let him grab and carry the toy a lot so that he feels successful at the chase. He will quit if he doesn't get to "win" a lot.

PLEASE get a good book on puppy training and train with your puppy several times/day for a few minutes. You can find a ton of excellent training videos for working with puppies on everything from sit to loose leash walking on YouTube at Kikopup's channel.

You must get this puppy outside every day. Puppies do not get sick from being outside and they really need the stimulation, fresh air, and sunlight. Do you have a fenced yard?

Again, get up to speed and devote some serious time to learning how to train your new puppy. Dobermans are extremely smart and MUST HAVE a job. Training satisfies that need! Keep us posted - hope we get lots more photos too.
__________________
Regards from Tricia and the Doberloves!


Please visit and "like" my facebook page for SweetMemoryGardens!
triciakoontz is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Nov 2007
The Following User Says Thank You to triciakoontz For This Useful Post:
LindaH (01-24-2013)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Lil Pup
 
Posts: 2
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit bigjohn107's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigjohn107 is on a distinguished road
moses

im haveing trouble getting my moses to calm down in the house i live in arkansas and its been very cold and inclimate here and he dont get out much but i did built him a run pen but he cant stay out much and he likes to nip my wife and i dont have a lot of money for obedience school any ideas i love him but if he dont stop some of these things ill have to get rid of him hes full blooded with papers so i hate to get rid of him hes 14 months and he weighs 105 hes a big boy any suggestions
bigjohn107 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Sep 2013
Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Alpha
 
Posts: 283
Location: Hemet, CA
Dogs Name: Aero
Titles: Good Boy
Dogs Age: DOB: 8/20/2013
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit InBox485's Gallery
Thanks: 66
Thanked 234 Times in 123 Posts
InBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud ofInBox485 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn107 View Post
im haveing trouble getting my moses to calm down in the house i live in arkansas and its been very cold and inclimate here and he dont get out much but i did built him a run pen but he cant stay out much and he likes to nip my wife and i dont have a lot of money for obedience school any ideas i love him but if he dont stop some of these things ill have to get rid of him hes full blooded with papers so i hate to get rid of him hes 14 months and he weighs 105 hes a big boy any suggestions
Basic puppy classes are not expensive. I can't imagine having funds to acquire and feed a papered Doberman but not the funds for something like the puppy class at petsmart. The fundamentals aren't something easy to learn watching videos out reading forums. That training is for the human not so much as for the dog by the way so if it is out of the question, I'd call it quits on dogs. 14 months is still adolescent, so nipping as an impulse is normal. There are training articles to address that explicitly. The energy needs an outlet. It doesn't take much space to do things like retrieval exercises. Between that and basic puppy training you could have him behaved pretty quickly, but you have to do your part.

Also this was an ancient thread. You might be better off starting a new thread.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by InBox485; 01-17-2014 at 06:18 PM..
InBox485 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Join Date: Jan 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0 Beta 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.
@2005 - 2008 DobermanTalk.com
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com