I've been visiting for quite some time trying to read and learn what I can about these awesome dogs. I finally got to the point where I might want to ask questions so I figured it was time to register. Since a child I have owned and loved dogs. However, they have always been rescues & strays. While they have been outstanding & beloved companions I'm ready @45 for MY first big boy dog.
I want a Doberman and here is why:
1. I'm a Marine and I love history - other than possibly a Bulldog there is no dog more closely associated with the Corps! nuff said
2. My wife enjoys running and sometimes the runs are long and solitary. I want a dog that can run with her, guard her and bring her back safely to me.
3. I have a 7 year old daughter who is the apple of my eye. She loves, loves, loves dogs. I need a dog that is very reliable, and gentle because She will want to spend every waking hours playing with the newest member of the family
4. I have 2 other dogs -both females and spayed- that are gentle, sweet and will have no problems accepting an alpha dog. However, they are playful so I need a dog that socializes well and is tolerant.
5. This dog will not be bred- it will be part of the family. It will sleep in the house on a dog pillow at night and play outside in the fenced yard with the other two dogs during the day.
6. Finally- It has to be a male because his name will be RANGER! (unless of course its a stupid idea given the above criteria)
I am retiring in 1.5 years and don't anticipate being gone anymore so I have time to burn training and playing.
Very much looking forward to asking questions and getting the proverbial firehose of advice.
Thanks in advanced,