I have always wondered who the first human was, who said, "Hey, there's some fungus growing over there. Let's eat that!"
Either a very brave soul or one who was very desperate.
Same goes of Acorns, how the heck did our Ancestors come up with the idea of washing them in a running stream for 3 days to wash out the toxins, drying them, pounding them into a flour to make a kind of cake/bread.
Many years ago a friend of my son decided to eat a mushroom he found in the woods. Within minutes he collapsed and only because my son and his other friends were there and ran for help is the reason that boy survived. He was deathly ill for many days and had side effects for weeks afterwards. Needless to say he never touched a mushroom ever again, not unless his mother bought them in a supermarket that is.
I have to say even the most seasoned of mushroom pickers needs exercise caution when picking as so many edible and non edible share similar characteristics. Maybe that is why my sons friend ate the mushroom he did, my son said it looked like a common mushroom the type you can buy. Luckily he didnt bite into it, me personally, I have on occasion decided to play it safe and discard what I have collected simply because it is just too easy to make a mistake.
By the way, the ones in my pics, they were delicious
You guys must think the worst of me if you thought I was writing about magic mushies.