Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW suburbs, IL
Dogs Name: Bruda Weekend Warrior, aka "Rowan"; Bruda Pure Seduction, aka "Monroe"
Titles: UKC Ch, RN, TT, CGC, TDI; AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy
Dogs Age: DOB 2/11/11; DOB 12/12/12
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit SpecialK's Gallery
Thanked 7,473 Times in 1,655 Posts
Hi Dennis, welcome to DT!
Others have already mentioned the cost of buying from a reputable breeder and a few reasons to do that (mainly health). But there are so many reasons it is so important not to spend your money to support back yard breeders. I know the money may seem like a lot, and it is hard to resist finding a better "deal", but in the end it will be worth it and you will feel good about your decision.
1. ears will be done for you (at the right age and included in the cost)
2. you will have lifetime support (this may be very helpful while posting those ears!)
3. those ears will be done WELL (not a hack job by some vet who does other breeds)
4. TEMPERAMENT. In addition to health, good breeders produce stable and sound dogs who will make the best companions for all of their years. Even if you hit the jackpot with a healthy byb dog, you could still run into behavior problems like fear or aggression...or both. With a strong breed such as ours with a "dangerous" stigma already attached it is so important not to add to that stereotype.
5. Obviously the health stuff already mentioned
And lastly, but certainly not least...there are SO MANY dogs that are being put to sleep every single day because of people breeding their dogs just to make and sell puppies. If you do not want to rescue a dog from a shelter or breed specific doberman rescue as mentioned above (great idea btw!), then please please PLEASE support a responsible breeder. These are the people who breed only with the intention of improving our beloved breed and do so selectively.
Most people don't realize that the breeders who produce "show dogs" will often only get 1 or maybe 2 "pick puppies" from a litter and the rest are sold as pet/companions. That means they might not be the very best "show" pup, but are sure dang close...and all the great breeding behind them.
If it is a fact of trying to swallow that price tag, please do some reading around the forum and hopefully you will see what we are all saying. If it is a matter of not being able to pay that price tag, I suggest waiting a little while longer until you can save it up. It will be worth it.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." --Josh Billings
UKC Ch. Bruda Weekend Warrior, RN TT CGC TDI "Rowan"
Bruda Pure Seduction, S.T.A.R. Puppy "Monroe"