Join Date: Jun 2011
Dogs Name: Capone and Kiyan
Titles: ALT. U-CH Affinity's Making Memories CGC
Dogs Age: Born Oct. 6, 2009 and Oct. 7, 2012
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit Capone's Mommy's Gallery
Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,361 Posts
Hard experience with Cambria Dobermans
I just wanted to talk about an experience that really made my husband and I grow as Doberman owners. My husband and I have an almost 3 year old male Doberman who we got from a BYB. We love Capone and honestly would not change a thing about him, however as we began the process of looking to add another Doberman female to our family we wanted to do everything the correct way. We have been looking and researching to the point that sometimes huge migraines are the outcome. My husband and I finally decided that Cambria Dobermans in Holton, Indiana was going to be a great match for us. We contacted Ann and Jim about their breeding schedule and they stated that they would have a litter due in August of this year and it was going to be perfect for our family’s living situation. We sent in our deposit to Ann and Jim and thought it was very clear we were interested in a puppy from their August litter. We understood that they did not place health contracts on their puppies, but that they do all of the health tests recommended. We were pleased by that because we have researched them for awhile and they had good recommendations and also we were under the assumptions that if there was even just a slight hint that there could be a potential health problem with a puppy they surely would not sell it. We made it clear we just wanted a healthy female puppy. Time went on and we just wanted to check on the puppies and see if they were born yet. Jim contacted us and brought to our attention that our potential puppy’s dam, had an infection and out of 11 puppies that were born only 3 survived thru the next days/weeks. We were sad and very concerned. Jim said he would keep us updated on the puppies, but he also wanted us to consider another potential dog.
Jim contacted us about this other dog who was an 8 month old red Doberman, whom Ann and he decided they no longer wanted. This was very unsettling with us as they offered no true reason for giving her up. So my husband and I drove about 2 hours each way to see this 8 month old and while she was beautiful and seemed to have a great temperament we felt no real connection to her and were still a little weary of her being kept in a kennel for as long as she was. While there we spoke to both Jim and Ann. While Ann was very pleasant to talk to Jim was another story. He indirectly backhanded other breeders and acted like he was the top of the food chain and that other breeders were on a totally different level below him. I thought this man was well respected, but my views and opinions on him as well as Cambria quickly changed. He gave off a completely different persona during the many phone conversations I had with him. While there we were just checking with him on the price of the 8 month old because we were told she was a show dog and had already been featured in Doberman Digest and assumed that her price might be a little more and just wanted to verify. Jim instantly snapped back and said, “I never negotiate on pricing.” My husband and I were offended because we were not trying to negotiate on pricing we just wanted to know her price because we had never discussed it before. We were willing to pay whatever price we needed to in order to get a great quality pet companion. After wrapping up our visit, ourselves and Jim agreed that we should sleep on it and call him back the next day which was a Tuesday.
My husband and I talked about the whole experience and the 8 month old on the ride home and slept on it. So on Tuesday afternoon I contacted Jim to talk to him with no response. After not being able to reach Jim via phone later in the week we sent him an email stating that we decided not to go with the 8 month old so we would like our deposit back due to the health issues of the remaining puppies. Finally on Sunday morning he responded to our email. He explained that their other litter was just born and that he was a little busy. I understand him being busy, but as a “customer” there were several days where I felt he could have contacted us. We explained to him that because of the infection causing 9 of the puppies to die we felt that the “quality” and “health” of the puppies was not to our standard, but they had another view of this. He told us that we would not be getting our deposit back due to their still being potential puppies and now their other litter had potential puppies for us. We were taken back because we were never interested in this other litter as mentioned to them and we thought they clearly understood this. When Jim called us back to talk about this issue he sounded like a blabbering confused salesman, to be nice. He was telling us that they were the best Doberman breeders out there and that they have “x” amount of people contact them every day for a puppy and that we were making a mistake. He kept telling us that he was glad we didn’t take the 8 month old because we “young people” don’t understand a thing about business. He also kept calling the 8 month old the wrong name. You don’t sound very intelligent in making accusations if you don’t even know the dog's correct name.
So as I write this we are out our deposit and as frustrating as that is and as costly of a learning experience as it was we would rather be out our deposit than give Cambria Dobermans another cent of our money. Ann is convinced we have another Doberman puppy already and trust me I wish we did because I have been searching for almost 1.5 years now for the perfect girl, but we don’t have one. If I did her pictures would be plastered on here as well as my Facebook page and you won’t find any. Sadly our search continues. We know we might not change anyone’s opinion on them, but we just wanted to shed some light on some potential heartbreak and headaches for other potential owners out there searching for a breeder.
So I just wanted to state again a few things that I feel are very important in purchasing a Doberman from a breeder…
1. If it is the case, make sure the breeder clearly understands that you are only interested in one particular breeding when multiple breedings are mentioned. We thought we made this clear, but obviously it was not. Just saying it over the phone is not enough, make sure you have it documented in an email etc.
2. I would also talk to them about what you consider quality and what they consider quality. You both may have huge differences on this subject like we did. In our case they were made well aware that we wanted a healthy puppy and if 9 of the littermates died due to an infection I feel we have the right to be concerned about their health.
3. No matter how nice someone sounds on the phone and even if you have many phone conversations it is always best to meet them in person if possible.
I just want it to be known that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am not posting this to anger or offend anyone rather my purpose is solely to help others avoid situations like what we encountered.
We don't have children because our dogs are allergic to them!
"One person with passion is better than 40 people merely interested." -E.M. Forster