Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

male or female as guard dog?

24K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  ssgharkness020147 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a doberman . People have been stealing around my house . I have a girl husky but she's to nice to strangers, I've owned huskies for like 3 years of my life. My family in mexico use to own dobermans , I fell in love with them. So now I want to get a puppy . What are the ups and downs of male or female. I was leaning more towards a male .

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know which would be better, guess it's depends on the training. My girl Dob won't even go to the door but I have a CHI (4pd.) that will rip your ankle off. I agree a security system would be better and safer, once u train a dog to be vicious, thats what u'll have. Who knows, it may act that way towards someone u love someday..............

#6 ·
A doberman is not a Security system, they are a family companion that chooses to protect you if you are in danger. They are not bred to guard property, they are bred to love and be with a family, to curl up in a chair or couch with you and lick your face, to sit and watch you eat and give you sad puppy eyes cause you wont share french fries, then get all happy when you "drop" one on the floor. They are happy, goofy, loving, and adorable pets. They love unconditionally, they stand by you when you are sick, or well, they share everything with you even bathroom trips, and they dont want to be left alone in an empty house.

I recommend, Brinks, ADT, or any other of the popular home security systems if that is your only concern.

#7 ·
Its on the top 10 best guard dogs . Security system won't give me what a dog can . A dog is not going to be only a secruity system, its also guna exercise with me and drive around with me. The way u guys make it seem that their good for nothing . Let me ask ull something is a gun going to protect your house when no one is home. When I was younger my brother had a german shepard and some guy went to the house and tried to fight him , n the other kid got bit . I'm looking for a dog like that, I'm just not into GS . So really there's no point in answering to get a security system and the gun I already own .

#14 ·
Hi Kyo_Clone, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but just hear me out on this one.
There is a problem with what you're asking on this board -- most people on this forum are here to promote well-rounded, non-aggressive dobermans as well as promote doberman safety (that is -- safety for the actual dogs). What you're asking seems to go against what many people are on here for and so without wording it carefully, you're going to seem like one of those people who want a doberman just because they are big, scary and mean. This is simply not true -- in reality they really big babies who love people.

That being said, regardless of the breed, if you train a dog to protect your property that's what they will do. However, you will be taking risks by doing this. In my opinion, only people who have a lot of experience with training ANY dogs like this, should be training them like this. If you train a dog to be aggressive, its going to be aggressive and it might come at a cost to you or your loved ones later on (again unless you have experience in doing this correctly).

IF you are looking for a companion, but are also hoping that the dog that will protect you should you be confronted by someone whose trying to attack you, then pretty much any breed would probably do. But I wouldn't be training it to protect because it is not needed. Most breeds (except maybe my golden retriever who would run in the opposite direction LOL) will protect their owner if they believe they're actually in danger without any training at all. This includes those dogs which absolutely LOVE people.

So in conclusion (LOL -- sorry for the long post) if your original intent is exactly as stated in your first post, you're probably not going to get the answers you want on this board as Dobermans aren't really the best choice for this, and most people disagree with your intent. My advice is to take the time to really get to know the breed through research. Research always prove invaluable.

#9 · (Edited)
While a dog can be a great deterrent I agree with others that it shouldn't be you actual security system. I know that my Dobe's appearance is likely to make most would be thieves pass on by my place but I wouldn't actually expect Tater to be a guard dog. On an interesting note I've had a friend suggest an airhorn would be enough to scare the living bejeebus out of most robbers. Think about it, quiet house then all the sudden :music_toot:

Sadly, we live not too far from a shady area so my security system is a shotgun by the bed. If anyone broke in my plan is to let them know I have a shotgun and a Doberman and if they don't leave they will meet one of them. The reality is I wouldn't send the dog after him and I would surely hope that the sound of cocking a shotgun would be enough to send the idiot running but if someone is tweaked out enough and armed I would like to be able to protect myself.

ETA: OP just saw your response as well as the other tater's. If you want something to protect your house while you are away, a security system is the best way. That way the robber could be aware that breaking into your house would notify police. If they still choose to do so or don't realize what it means at least there's a chance that cops will be on the way to catch them. If someone breaks in and offs your dog no one is going to know anything is going on. Then you have a dead dog and a robbed house.I know most might think we are crazy, but if we are gone at night we crate both dogs. I would rather the house be completely robbed with my dogs safely crated and not causing the robbers to feel as much need to hurt them to protect themselves.

#10 ·
To answer your question, it doesn't really matter gender wise. But once you have a male in your home, that will be your only male dog for the next 10+ years.
If you are serious about getting a Dobermann, please get him/her from a reputable breeder. Tell us your area so we can help.
Also realize dobes need a lot of physical and mental stimulation. So not only lots of walks or playing, but training too. Puppy classes, obedience classes, ect.

#11 ·
I'll give my opinion, and it may be that of the devil's advocate here.
First of all, I agree that a gun and home security system are your best bets. A home security system, more so than a gun (since you are referring to times away from your home).

That aside...part of our reasoning for purchasing a dobe WAS because of a visual deterrent. Would I expect her to harm someone who broke and entered? No. BUT many people are deterred by her out on walks and when walking past our house. Her appearance, bark (she has quite the manly bark) and general carriage of her body is quite intimidating to people.

If you're looking for a true guard dog, for your property while you are not away, I suggest looking into a breed that was bred to protect property. Dobermans were bred to protect their owner(s). If you're not there, I wouldn't expect one to perform.

I suspect that if someone broke in and Nina was free..after her initial barking (once they entered) she'd think it was play time. HOWEVER, once on a walk someone jumped out at me, and by God she was NOT going to let them be any closer. Make sense?

So, if you love ALL the OTHER traits of a doberman, are willing to put the time, money, and dedication into them to have a phenomenol lifestyle, and are hoping they are just a visual deterrent...then by all means start researching reputable breeders. If you just want a guard dog, look elsewhere.

As for the male/female. That depends really. I've heard differing opinions. I had a large male that was such a wus and had a girly bark BUT people were afraid of him vs. Nina who is smaller but has a MUCH louder/deeper bark. So for visual reasons probably a male. It's more of a personal decision though, and what sex would work with your pre-existing household (especially if you have other dogs).

#12 ·
Around here its nothing but lil young kids going around stealing electronics and tv's I doubt they would hurt anyone or a dog. If it came to that it would buy my family some time, time to call the police and u know pull the gun . Young people will be scared of a dog. Everytime I try to get a dog I get lectured, I'm going to get one reguardless , I'm just looking for one that fits me best .

#17 ·
You aren't getting lectured. You are getting advice you asked for. You came to a place where people know a lot about the breed and asked a question. Yes, you asked male or female, but when it comes down to it there's more to it than that. It's like kind of like asking "Should I use a phillips or flathead screwdriver" when the task you are trying to accomplish requires a hammer.

#22 · (Edited)
So what would be a good guard dog for my home ? I read everywere that dobermans are on the top 10 for guard dogs . Can sumone steer me towards what kind of dog I'm looking for then?
Around here its nothing but lil young kids going around stealing electronics and tv's I doubt they would hurt anyone or a dog. If it came to that it would buy my family some time, time to call the police and u know pull the gun . Young people will be scared of a dog. Everytime I try to get a dog I get lectured, I'm going to get one reguardless , I'm just looking for one that fits me best .
Its on the top 10 best guard dogs . Security system won't give me what a dog can . A dog is not going to be only a secruity system, its also guna exercise with me and drive around with me. The way u guys make it seem that their good for nothing.
I'll admit, Ididn't read through this whole thing. Probably just half of it so maybe what I"m about to say has been said.

First, any dog larger than a chihuahua that is barking will deter against petty theft. Sometimes small dogs will be a deterrent also. If your husky is a barker when people come around, then she will probably get the job done. However, somebody that is determined to get to your things will take your dog down.

Second, you say that you're looking for a dog that fits you best but we don't actually know much about you. If we know nothing other than that you want "a guard dog" how can we, a community full of knowledgeable doberman owners, help you know if a doberman is a good choice for you?

Finally, the guard dog thing is commonly misinterpreted. The doberman is a breed designed by humans as a personal protector. If somebody challenges you or tries to attack you a doberman will defend you. Please note that the common word here is "you" and that is because Dobermans were not bred to guard stuff but to guard their people.

I do hope you heed our advice and don't just buy a doberman from the first person who will sell you a puppy. Dobies are riddled with health problems and there are many less-than-stellar breeders out there who don't test their dogs for possible health issues. This usually leads to much shorter lifespans, a lot of money given to a vet, and so much heart break. We aren't lecturing you, attacking you, or trying to be nasty. We are just looking out for what's best for the breed and for possible future owners.

#16 ·
Well...I have a male doberman being trained in protection sports, but he is kept in a crate when I am gone so not much help with protecting the house while I'm gone. In reality, I don't expect that of him. My dog isn't an object that I expect to be at my service at all times...I protect my dog, not the other way around. Sure, if I were outside with my dog or in the house and someone tried to harm me, you better believe my dog would try to protect me...but that isn't why I got him. He is my companion. Before you consider adding a dog of any breed to your family ask yourself what YOU are going to do for your dog.

About the security problem...get a security system. They are made to secure your house when you are gone. Even the sound of the alarm going off will most likely deter an intruder. Don't expect a living breathing animal to do that job for you. Plus, dogs poop and pee, you have to feed them, exercise them, train them, give up your couch and bed for them, pay for their vet bills, oh and don't even get me started on the physical abuse...the head butting, nose poking, body slamming. Trust me, a security system is much more worth your while.

#18 ·
You guys are makeing it sound like I don't care about dogs , I own a girl husky take her with me everywer she sleeps with me I buy her the best food . I take really good care of her I know dogs are not a object and I expect a dog to do what I would for it .

#19 ·
You kind of needed to elaborate in your first post with this ^^ kind of stuff.

I haven't been on this forum for that long, and even I see the types of jerks who come on here who say basically what you said in your first post...except they don't elaborate with this type of comment.
They come on looking for an aggressive and mean doberman, which they can get to attack anyone at anytime. And they view dogs as being disposable. Definitely not the type of owner that any dog lover wants to help out.

#21 ·
The way u guys make it seem that their good for nothing
They're good for plenty of things! Snuggles on the sofa, walking buddies, garden digger-uppers. What people are trying to say are that if you want a companion dog, Dobermanns are excellent. If you want something to protect your home, its much better to have security allarms, camera, guns, baseball bats, landmines ect. It would be much safter for you and your dog.

You guys are makeing it sound like I don't care about dogs , I own a girl husky take her with me everywer she sleeps with me I buy her the best food . I take really good care of her I know dogs are not a object and I expect a dog to do what I would for it .
If you loved a dog, you wouldnt put it in a situation where it could get hurt. I hoep to god my dogs run and hide under the bed if an armed robber gets into my house.

P.S: Troll?

#23 · (Edited)
They're good for plenty of things! Snuggles on the sofa, walking buddies, garden digger-uppers. What people are trying to say are that if you want a companion dog, Dobermanns are excellent. If you want something to protect your home, its much better to have security allarms, camera, guns, baseball bats, landmines ect. It would be much safter for you and your dog.

If you loved a dog, you wouldnt put it in a situation where it could get hurt. I hoep to god my dogs run and hide under the bed if an armed robber gets into my house.

P.S: Troll?
I don't think that wanting a dog to protect (and possibly get hurt) in certain cases is a sign that you don't love the animal. I think it's just important to have an understanding of what that protection actually means. Even with a good property protection dog, the goal is not to have one that will attack or tear limb from limb right away. Their real job is to offer the suggestion that "I will mess you up if I have to so you better back off" and of course if the threat continues to go after it. I could be wrong but original property protection type breeds weren't so much against humans but against unwanted animals that might try to come after livestock.

I also don't get a troll vibe from this person. Just more of a misinformed vibe.

#32 ·
I'm in the same category as dobebug - old, experienced, and wondering what you have that is so valuable that you feel the need to use another life as the deterrent for possible theft. A surveillance camera system costs a lot less, and an alarm system that ties into the police 911 line also is less expensive, needs much less upkeep - no walks, no training, no food or vet bills, etc. Plus - God forbid - the heartbreak (and guilt) if your dog is injured or killed by some punk.

Our dogs (Dobes, German Shepherds, Boxers, German Shorthair, and a terrier-poodle mutt) have ALL been very protective and excellent deterrents - but not because we trained them to... simply because they loved and respected us and wanted to protect us, and their territory. It's something they do out of love and a sense of duty. So far, except for a couple of times back in New York, where the burglars were obviously watching and broke in at exactly the times when we were out walking the dogs, any attempts have been thwarted by our dogs - evidenced by screens pushed OUT of windows, with happy dogs sitting in the windows waiting for us to return.

If you seriously want estate-type guardians, you need more than one (they work better in teams) - get mastiff types or a Bouvier or Giant Schnauzer, a Malinois or Kuvasz, or a Rhodesian. But as has been said - they still need 3 years to grow up, mature, be trained, and there's really no guarantee they'll have the temperament you're wanting. Don't flaunt your "stuff", be low key and discreet, and when you do go out, make sure everything is locked up tight. Get an alarm system if you have such expensive items - to protect your dogs from harm, as much as to protect your "stuff"! Your dogs, like kids, should be much more important.

#33 · (Edited)
Some types of mastiff were bred to guard estates and property, and would be a better choice. Dobermans are wonderful dogs, but they were not developed as a breed to guard property. They protect people. Mastiffs have breed rescues too if you're looking to add an adult to your household. Shameless plug for rescue there, I got my second Doberman at 3 and he was already a housebroken adult with all his shots and came with a ton of support from Dobe rescue. Both Dobes and some mastiffs have male to male aggression, so keep a male/female combo if you can.

If you need a watchdog for your property, any dog that'll make a lot of noise as someone approaches will do. Once the dog barks, anyone approaching knows that the people in the house know they're there and that is your deterrent. I've got a friend who owns a chihuahua who does that just fine.

If there's an actual break in, don't count on any dog to be able to defend your house, especially if the robber has a gun and won't hesitate to shoot the dog. There is always the concern that anyone breaking into your house will kill your dog and take what they want anyway. I've got insurance for my stuff. I don't have insurance that can bring a dead dog back.

As far as asking questions- I don't think the OP is trolling. I also don't mind answering questions like this, it's better to ask and get responses from experienced folks than not to ask at all. There's a reason why I don't own a pit bull right now, even though I love the breed, and that's because knowledgeable pitty folks helped me out when I had newbie breed questions. I got schooled pretty quickly on some very good reasons why a pitty would be a bad fit, and now I settle for sponsoring dogs in a pit bull rescue instead of owning one.

#45 ·
Ok,

After finally registering my pup, I received his included pedigree (which btw, to anyone interested, shows more information than just the one you can look up online) and a few papers just basically describing the doberman, characteristics, temperament, conformation stuff, etc.

This is an excerpt from those papers, and I quote:

"The DPCA is a member of the AKC and is responsible for writing the standard of our breed..."

"Today the Doberman is mostly kept as a family dog and protector of his master's home."

So, either the Doberman Club of America has it all wrong, or everyone who naysayed the op in this thread does.

I personally didn't 'hire' my puppy to guard our belongings, which would entail him risking his life to protect some material items.

And to those who think they are john wayne, mixed with a little shaft, with a splash of dirty harry...I hope you know your individual states gun laws and who you can and cannot shoot. For most states, you can't just shoot someone because they entered your home. Unless that person is posing a threat to you or someone else's life, the only thing you'd accomplish by shooting them is relocating yourself...to prison.

Remember, like Denzel said in training day, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

#46 · (Edited)
Ok I just skimmed through this real quick..

As a few people pointed out, dobes were not bread to be property protection dogs and they don't excel at it. If you want a dog to bark when strangers are near the door and alert your family (the proper term is watch dog, not guard dog) but otherwise the dog would be your personal companion, for sure the dobe would be a great choice. A watch dog, will watch for intruders and alert. A guard dog on the other hand will guard the property and attack the intruders. It is a clear difference in a purpose. Most people (like yourself) falsely believe they are great protectors which would work in your favour, but it's not some thing you should rely on if you feel your family's safety is actually at risk (doesn't sound like it).

It sounds like any big barking dog will do what you need, warn and deter intruders without actually having to back up the bark. If you love the dobes and want one for your companion, go for it.

Otherwise, if you need an actual property guardian that's a little more "real", look into breeds that were bred for this and have very strong natural territorial instincts. These will mostly be in the mastiff family. Some thing like a Fila, Corso, any of the Asian mastiffs, some of the south American mastiffs especially... BUT these can be extremely serious dogs and can be dangerous. They will take their job to protect their home very seriously and will possibly hurt any one THEY feel is not welcomed which can easily include your friends and family if they do not live with the dog. Be careful what you wish for and make a clear distinction between what you think you need and what you actually need.

Oh and I saw some one mention geese.. if you lived on a fenced rural property that would be your best bet. These things can be nasty to intruders, but are not lethal and are cheap to maintain (not to mention you can eat them :p). I have heard people who professionally train protection dogs mention geese a few times for this purpose so don't take this suggestion as a joke.

Actually even a Rottweiler would be a better choice for you and a nice compromise between the serious mastiffs and a dobe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.