Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Demodectic Mange/Demodex mites

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Dobemama33 
#1 ·
Whats the most effective way of treating demodex mites? Right now its small tiny patches of fur but I am trying to do whatever it takes to prevent it from getting worse. Suggestions? The vet used Promeris and now I use Goodwinol ointment on his fur everyday. (The skin scrape did come back positive)

I didnt know if anyone had any home remedies that worked wonders or not..

Thank you in advanced.

#3 ·
How bad is it? Is it in one area or all over? If it's a small patch or two, my vet does not treat. If it is generalized, then go with what the vet recommended.

#4 ·
If it is generalized you need to let your vet treat as Adara said.

It won't hurt to feed sardines. I seem to be recommending them a lot lately BUT they are good for the heart and good for boosting skin health which might help with demodex.

If you can get them raw or frozen that would be best. Next, would be canned. Feed sardines packed in water, olive oil, or tomatos. Pick whichever has the least salt and drain can before feeding. Try to get sardines that are under 300 mgs salt.

When Parker was having huge allergy trouble this summer I gave him half the can before morning meal and the other half before evening meal. Give before meals to cut down on fish breath. Later on after he was doing so much better, I cut him down to half the can in the morning and now am only giving 1 sardine in the morning. There are only 4 to the can, so it is a decent sized sardine, close to an oz, I suppose, since the can is 3.75 oz.

Can't hurt your boy and excellent for skin health.
Thread about sardines:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/58536-sardines-good-allergies.html

Article written by canine nutritionist: Sardines :: A Super Hero FOOD FOR DOGS by Diane Jansey

#6 ·
I could be wrong but I think typically hair growth takes about 6 weeks in general with dogs. I had a dog with road rash on his face, nose, ear and elbows and I remember googling to see how long it might take to grow back.

If it is sporadoc, I'd leave it alone and not put anything on it myself.

Reactions: mmctaq
#8 ·
I have heard it can make it worse and I've heard it doesn't help at all. I do know of some people who put diaper rash/A&D Ointment on it also. Often times it just makes the dog start licking the spots. My vet just tells people to leave it be.

Reactions: Sinister
#11 ·
Interesting Dobejazz.

In that case, I'd certainly put a dog with that condition on K9 Immunity Plus.

Priscilla was throwing stuffies in the air, zooming around/up/down/over/ontop/under/etc on her three paws a couple days after introducing that to her diet.

She's never really ever been that overtly enthusiastic.

#12 ·
I copied this from wikipedia - IDR + uses transfer factor (I think that it what it is called) for dogs that come in with Demodex

Demodex canis

Demodex canis
The species Demodex canis lives predominantly on the domestic dog, but can occasionally infect humans. Although the majority of infestations are commensal, and therefore sub-clinical, it can develop into a condition called demodectic mange.
Due to their habitat being deep in the dermis, transmission is only usually possible via prolonged direct contact, such as bitch-to-pup transmission during suckling. As a result, the most common sites for early appearance of demodicodic lesions are the face, muzzle, forelimbs and periorbital regions. Demodicosis can manifest as lesions of two types: squamous—which causes dry alopecia and thickening of the skin; and pustular—which is the more severe form, causing secondary infection (usually by Staphylococcus) resulting in the characteristic red, numerous pustules and wrinkling of the skin.
The escalation of a commensal D. canis infestation into one requiring clinical attention usually involves complex immune factors. Demodicosis can follow immunosuppressive conditions or treatments, or may be related to a genetic immune deficiency. This is complicated by the fact that Demodex itself is thought to suppress the normal T-lymphocyte response. There are also certain breeds, such as the Dalmatian, which appear to be more susceptible.[5]
While direct treatment for severe cases is possible by applying the antiparasitic drug Amitraz to the skin, improved nutrition also helps and addressing any possible underlying immune-system suppressing diseases. The secondary bacterial infection associated with pustular demodicosis requires treatment with antibiotics.

#18 ·
It has to do with the immune system. I would work on boosting your puppy's immune system in addition to working with your vet's instructions for your puppy. Seek out the advice of your breeder and seek a second opinion with a holistic vet in regards to boosting the immune system. Do not give vaccines or have your pet undergo surgery while in treatment for these mites. Some vets suggests dips, I would not do the dips unless it was very very bad. There are a few different ways to treat the mites based on different factors.
I have used vitamin C and transfer factor before for a small spot.

#22 ·
I wouldn't worry too much when your puppy is so young. Most dogs have it and young puppies will sometimes lose some fur until their immune systems mature. Some treatments can do more harm than good. I had the same problem when my pup was 12 weeks but my vet advised me to wait for his immune system to mature. I was still stressed about it and did a lot of research but didn't treat it. Turned out my vet was right, my boy has a beautiful healthy coat now. If there are large bare patches I would then do treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.