Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

demodex??? what is this?

5K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  JessieLove09 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what exactly I'm seeing here but I know this dog is not healthy, and this person, rather than treating the illness, is trying to sell it??? For $500, no less?! 3 and 1/2 months old and already on to its next home.. from someone who doesn't give two craps about it. I'd go and pick it up myself but frankly I can't afford $500 + vet bills for it... I don't know what rescues will do considering they're trying to SELL it... I just feel so awful for this puppy. I keep hoping it's a cruel joke? Or maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

3 1/2 Month, Red Rust Doberman Pinscher | Bakersfield | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 4520405

edit: My monitor is bad, so I really can't tell you what's going on with these pictures without going and using my parents' computer - I can't tell if it's a mix or if it does have something wrong with it? Its tail is docked poorly, its markings aren't right.. I'm just confused.

See less See more
#4 ·
This is a Doberman with Vitiligo:

This doesn't look like Vitiligo to me.. the face (on my old monitor, mind you) appears to be lumpy and flesh-colored, not white? And the paws appear to look almost the same. I'm not sure what it is though, I'm no vet.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what exactly I'm seeing here but I know this dog is not healthy
IMO...I think the dog is a purebred Dobe of mediocre conformational quality.

As for the lumpy bumpy face: could be demodex, could be allergies, could be insect bite/sting. The dappled light in the pix make it hard to see exactly what's going on there.

You're right, $500 for a pup with something obviously wrong with it is unrealistic and avaricious. Anyway, if you're up for it, why not go take a look at the pup and then educate the seller about perhaps returning the pup to the breeder if there's a contract in place with a return provision or surrendering the pup to rescue (with a donation)?

ETA: I this pup were advertised in my area, I'd go take a look at him. I'd ask the seller about the skin condition, because after all, why should I pay $500 for a pup and then have to pay out the nose later for vet care, right? If the seller claims the pup's been seen/treated by a vet, I'd ask for proof. If the seller cannot provide proof that the pup has seen/treated by a vet, I'd file a complaint with the local animal cruelty investigator. Just a thought...:wavey:

#14 ·
That's what I see too - that poor puppy needs treatment as soon as possible. His leg markings look strange because he doesn't have any hair left on his lower legs and feet. I'm sure he's just miserable.

Demodex isn't super expensive to treat, but when it's that bad, it will take a months of Ivomec and antibiotics to cure, and is sometimes not curable. Where is this dog located?

Reactions: brw1982
#8 ·
Wherever this Doberman is, do they not have an Animal Control or some other group with which a Doberman rescue organization can work? I am pretty sure, in most States, it is against the law to not provide medical attention to an animal that needs it.

#11 ·
I guess that's the picture. I don't see any bold spots or lumps on the second one. Please keep us updated.

Puppy localized demodex may resolve on its own when the immune system is mature (90% of cases). No treatment is required for most puppies. Good food, supplements to boost immunity may help to speed up the recovery.

#10 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

"Also called demodicosis or Red Mange, demodectic mange in dogs is caused by a sensitivity to and overpopulation of Demodex canis as the animal's immune system is unable to keep the mites under control."

Looks like the exact same thing. My pup had that, though not as bad as the one in the picture. She was given ivermectin and that cleared it up.

Edit: Oops, read that wrong. Thought you were asking what Demodex was.

#12 ·
If he is willing to give up the dog let me know, and I could probably go and pick it up. Bakersfield is a couple of hours away from me - but there is a user here, Apollo, who lives there. Maybe she'd be able to go and check the dog out? Just an idea.

#13 ·
Definitely looks like a purebred to me.
My boy came from a BYB and he also has a long dock - it's not that the dock was done poorly, it's just that the vet that did the dock may not know the standard for a Doberman. My dog's dock is clean and healed well - it's just 2 joints too long.

On my computer it just looks like the pictures are of crappy quality - so I don't want to pass any judgement on the puppy's condition.

I can pass judgement on the loser that is trying to sell their 3 1/2 month old Dobe on an advertising site though!

#16 ·
I'm not sure what exactly I'm seeing here but I know this dog is not healthy, and this person, rather than treating the illness, is trying to sell it??? For $500, no less?! 3 and 1/2 months old and already on to its next home.. from someone who doesn't give two craps about it. I'd go and pick it up myself but frankly I can't afford $500 + vet bills for it... I don't know what rescues will do considering they're trying to SELL it... I just feel so awful for this puppy. I keep hoping it's a cruel joke? Or maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me..
The treatment for demodex is not that expensive (I am not dispensing advice, but I will say that my experience with demodex has been a solution of Ivomectin over 30 days). Demodex is seen more in areas with hot humid climates, however can be seen in any climate as it is dependant on the dogs immune system.

Demodex can show up as bumps which can turn into eruptions of inflamed, red area, which can then be suceptable to infection (especially in humid hot areas).

Demodex mites are present on all dogs, however during periods of increased stress the demodex mites can take over.

A localized demodex outbreak in puppies is not usually seen as a huge issue. However this puppy looks to have generalized demodex all over, which could indicate a compromised immune system. However that is up to a Vet to determine.

Demodex does not spread from one host to another like other forms of mange. It will stay just on the one dog.

My dog had localized demodex outbreak when he was 6 months old (a small spot in his right armpit about the size of a quarter). It was just a small spot of little bumps, and he was itchy. We got it right away with the ivomec, however his hair has never grown back over the area (he is 3.5 years now). So that puppy may be bald in the areas where the demodex is for the rest of his life.

This owner is sniffing glue to ask money for the puppy. While it can be treated and the dog may live a completely normal life, you do not sell a blatantly sick animal.

Tamara McIntosh

#19 ·
Kern County Animal Services said that if I can provide them with an address and its in their jurisdiction that they can check on the pup and if its not, they can forward it to the proper jurisdiction to be checked on.

So if no one else can find out whats going on with the pup and/or get the pup help, and it certainly looks like an advancing case of demodex, I'm inclined to help KCAC get the info.

If someone already has an address, I'd be happy to forward it.

#20 ·
As far as I know all quests for information have done no good at all, all I know is the number (listed on the ad) (661) 345-6029.. I have not tried to call that number yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.