Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Diamataceous Earth

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  KoaRad 
#1 ·
I was on rawfeeding and someone had mentioned Diamataceous Earth (DE). I was wondering if anyone uses this for fleas? It says you can use internally also for worms. Does anyone use this orally for worms? If I am not mistaken by what I read I think they use it for heartworms also. Any info on this product and its uses would be appreciated. Here is a link to one site that sells it. Diatomaceous Earth - Product Listing Thanks!

#4 ·
I would not dust a dog w/this stuff for fear of them inhaling it.

I use it to kill gnats in houseplants. Dh laughed when it came in the mail...in a block of white stuff.

#5 ·
After reading DLS reply I was wondering how you would dust the dog without them inhaling it. Now really dont see the purpose if cant spread around the backyard the dogs are always sniffing there. Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
We use FOOD-GRADE Diatomaceous Earth for pest control. Allow me to tell you some of the Pros and Cons to help you out :)

1. Use food-grade and food-grade only. DE used for swimming pools or "insecticidal" have been heated and/or pesticides added to the DE making it toxic for animals (and people!)

2. You can use it topically on your dogs, and as someone else mentioned - "don't breathe it in." I believe it is probably classified as an "Irritant" on most MSDS. How do we get around that? We make a DE/water mixture in spray bottles. We spray it on the dogs so don't have to worry about them breathing it in or us breathing it in. When the water evaporates, the DE remains on the dog's skin.

3. If you plan on using DE for pest control OUTSIDE...remember....DE isn't a selective killer of pests. It kills ALL pests including those you don't WANT to die such as Earthworms or butterlies. DE works as a dehydrater. Think of DE as sand. When you use sand as an exfoliant on your skin, it rubs off the dead/loose skin cells. DE works the same way for insects. Instead of rubbing off skin cells, it penetrates the waxy layer on their exoskeletons and is then absorbs the insect/dehydrates them...kills them.

4. We don't use DE outside for pest control. Instead, we do other methods: plant lavender. Of course, we taught our dogs boundaries in the yard so they don't eat the lavender or tromp through them, but lavender acts as a flea repellant, looks pretty, and smells nice, too :)

#21 ·
We use FOOD-GRADE Diatomaceous Earth for pest control. Allow me to tell you some of the Pros and Cons to help you out :)

2. You can use it topically on your dogs, and as someone else mentioned - "don't breathe it in." I believe it is probably classified as an "Irritant" on most MSDS. How do we get around that? We make a DE/water mixture in spray bottles. We spray it on the dogs so don't have to worry about them breathing it in or us breathing it in. When the water evaporates, the DE remains on the dog's skin.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but someone introduced this to me last week and I was digging around on the search function. In terms of internally/orally - if they aren't to inhale, should one just mix with their water?
If you look further up on this thread someone posted that you mix it with water in a spray bottle. Then spray on your pet.

Personally I have used it on my guys and it does not get really airborne if you are careful. I also wonder if the D.E. actually comes through the spray bottle or not or just the water. Maybe try it first with water and see if you get rid of the fleas or tics..etc. And please post back with your results, i would be interested in knowing.
Just wondering about this mix w/ water thing. The instructions on the product specifically state that the product will not work/must be reapplied if it gets wet. "Reapply after rain", "make sure surface is dry" etc.
How many that have used this product have mixed w/ water and still had it work?
I have been trying to figure out a way to make a surplus military gas mask fit a doberman for a while...

#8 ·
I have used the Food Grade DE for ticks and fleas on my pets - we have alot of deer ticks and even with flea and tick meds on they get on the dogs and come home with them- with the DE they do not come home with us ever!

Also used it in my kitchen to keep bugs out. During the beginning of the spring season- I tend to get alot of spiders and silver fish bugs in the house-dust it on the widowsills and they just dry up and die before I even see them! I hate bugs!!!

#16 ·
I use food grade DE with my chickens, I mix it in their dusting box, for external bugs and mites and when I clean out the pen, I spread it around, and in with their food. It helps with parasites. My understanding is it will not get rid of existing parasites, but it prevents them. I do use a mask when I am using it because it is not good for your lungs. I buy it at my local feed and seed store. If you have a Southern States around you they have it.

#19 ·
I just bought some because I'm dealing with some seriously chemical resistant fleas. I have treated the dogs and the yard within the last week to two weeks and the dogs still have fleas. Its driving me crazy...vacuuming every day, checking for fleas several times a day... UGH!!! I really hope this works!

Reactions: Dobies 71
#22 ·
I know when I apply it around the gardens at work, I reapply after a rain because it gets washed away. D.E. is basically ancient fossilized sea creatures. So really they should dry out after being wet. My point though is would they get threw the spray bottle.

Again I have rubbed it into my dogs coat and it's not like it's a big cloud or anything...we are all o.k. :huepfenju

#23 ·
DE sort of scares me. Here's why:

It is made of crushed shells of some sort of ocean shell or animal...not sure. So microscoply it has sharp edges.

But I use to use it quite often when I went to college and cleaned pools for a pool company. I found it to be very irritant.

Now I know that pool grade is not food grade. But I think the issue is the grind of the DE not that of better grade. The food kind is more gound but the same thing.

So I found that my skin got real irritated from this stuff.

I also noticed that when I put it in my own pool filters, as necessary, when I sat in front of the "jets" it penetrated my skin from the blast. Then I would itch all over.

So maybe, maybe not. For me, it would only be if all else didn't work. I am a bit concerned now about this flea resistance going around though.

#24 ·
Diatomaceous earth is made out of the fossils of Diatoms. Diatoms are ancient, small algae creatures like plankton with rough edges, usually single-cell organisms. It works as a drying agent. It penetrates the exoskeletons of bugs and dries them out. Think of it like salt on slugs.

The reason the spray-bottle method works is that the diatom fragments are left on the dog's skin and hair after the water has evaporated. The reason garden magazines say to re-dust after a rain is because the diatoms would have washed away, shifted, etc. in the rain.

I can't see this being super-effective for existing internal parasites.

#25 ·
I just did some reading and I will be mixing a tbsp or two of DE with water in a spray bottle and adding about 20 drops of tea tree oil for repellant. I am so, so sick of applying chemicals to my dogs to kill the fleas, and seeing nothing happen. I would rather it take a little longer to kill the beasts and not poison my dogs.

Reactions: USMCDoberman
#26 ·
I have found many flea issues with my recent move. I used to do the "spot on" poisons every 2.5-3 months with great success, but not so in my new local.
I have found my local fleas resistant to, Frontline, Advantix, Bio-spot, Permythrin.
I have EXCESSIVE quantities in the yard, in part due to the feral cat issue.
I have found Cedar-side works great as a spot treatment to kill fleas, but has no value at preventing re-infestation.
Thus, I have put the kids on Comfortis and am waiting for a couple of dry days to DE the yard, house and dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.