Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Stressed Out Chick!

3K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  StrykersPerson 
#1 ·
Have to vent.

My chickie babies have most likely already been started in the incubation process.

My man is out of town!

I think I bit off more than I can chew.

Ordered 30 babies, they will probably ship 40. What if they ALL live?!

:2surprise:

I am being a worry wart. I know.

But, he's out of town and then I will go to meet him. And then when we come back, game on! Everything has to be good to go! EVERY thing.

Thanks for listening...

0:)

#3 ·
Are you buying hatching eggs? What kind of incubator do you have?

That is a lot of eggs or chicks!

Also, if you get chicks you can count on many of them being cockerals. You will have to place them elsewhere. That is always a problem, unless you order chicks that have
been sexed. That is the best way to go.

Not sure what your set up is. Are you just wanting laying hens?
Are the eggs only for you? Or to sell?

Can you change your order?
Are they being shipped to you or is 'your man' :) bringing them back with him?

#33 ·
Thanks! You are just as pesky as Beaumont! I forgot that, too, even though you gave me fair warning. >:) I am rehearsing my mad dash to town to pick up last minute chicken supplies, hit the grocery store and get my girls!

Lily's little feelings might be hurt for a couple of days. Too tempting! After all, they taste like chicken!

They are in transit and I am going bonkers! :nerd:

:x

#9 ·
This may help you out with your chicks

General Hints

Before putting your eggs into an incubator, plug it in and make sure the temp is holding at 99.5 - 103 degrees.
Mark eggs with a pencil or marker with an x on one side and an o on the other. This is for those of us who have to turn the eggs.
Make sure to turn the eggs at least 3 times a day (turn an odd number of times a day). You cannot skip weekends - you will have deformed chickens or none at all.
You must keep adequate moisture in the incubator at all times. A couple of small paper cups or a pie pan will do nicely for your water supply.
CanTeach: Science: Life Science - Hatching Eggs: A Step by Step Guide

#10 ·
If you have been down this road before, then I am not going to worry about you, lol.

I have always had good luck with bringing chicks in. You will probably end up with 40 live chicks. But, wow that is a lot of chickens! From what hatchery did you order?

Every Spring I get the bug to either hatch eggs or bring chicks in. I keep telling myself, not this year, but I have a chance to get some East Frisian Gull chicks from a breeder back east, so I am thinking more about reversing that decision.

Reactions: StrykersPerson
#14 · (Edited)
I am canceling my trip to Kansas. This will disappoint my man.

I came home from work today and Dominic was limping and had blood spots on his fur.

I originally thought he went onto the neighbor's property. Turns out, a pack of the neighbors' dogs were on my property.

What is the cheapest fix to this problem? ASAP

Everyone that knows me, knows I can't get a leash on him.

Everything was fine when I moved then hell broke out.

I really don't want to bother law enforcement.

The closest neighbors keep acquiring new residents and new dogs. I think there are 8 dogs over there. All in various stages of maturity.

I went to dominate those dogs off my property, the Great Dane mix challenged me.

What the hell?

:2surprise:

#15 ·
Not sure which part you’re trying to fix....

But if he really needs medical attention.....do you think you can fix up a loop on a pole the way dog catchers do and catch him that way?

Of course, then you’d have a traumatized dog who would be impossible to get into your car and who would likely never come near you again.

Dealing with the neighbors...you got me. Everything I can think of would end up with at least one of their dogs in the pound--and who wants to do that with a dog, even if the neighbors do need to be taught a lesson.

You could take pictures of your dog showing his injuries in case you need that for evidence on down the line?? And any other evidence you have that shows their dogs came on your property.

#27 ·
Just to be clear. My property is fenced for livestock. Horses, cows. The neighbors property is fully fenced to keep their goats contained. It's solely the dumb A-holes' pack of dogs that is the issue.

There are no leash laws here. There is no "pound" and no animal control. I called the sheriff and they said if me or my livestock/pets are threatened, I can shoot, shovel and shut up! Of course they don't encourage that.

Thankfully, I don't think I will have to resort to that.

#17 ·
Poor Dominic, and what a good boy for protecting your place, I hope his wounds will heal without issues.
Might be an idea to ask your Vet for some antibiotics for Dom in case his wounds get infected.
Have you talked to the neighbors about their dogs?

And as mentioned, a fenced yard might help keep them out of your yard.

I think I remember some sort of perimeter fence, but not sure what type of wire it was...

#18 ·
Well, everyone around me has acreage and it's the country mentality thing. When the neighbors goats are out they shut their driveway gate and that keeps their dogs off my property. But, when they leave for work they leave their gate open and their dogs come onto my property. I will be getting an automatic gate when Alan gets back, but it's a shame I have to spend the money to keep their dogs off my property.

#20 · (Edited)
The man of the house happened to be following me home, today.

I stopped at my driveway and waited for him.

I then started to gently explain why I flagged him down. I didn't get the first sentence out of my mouth when he started to apologize.

He's wanted three of those dogs gone for a long time.

Where is my body cam when I need it?

We shall see how this all pans out.

I kind of feel sorry for him?

:nerd:

#21 ·
Yes that is a shame when you look at it that way - paying for a fence because they can't keep their dogs from straying.
Here it seems everyone fences. I noticed the further East we traveled the more unfenced property. I always wondered about it.

#24 ·
I couldn't live without one.
Our front yard is not fenced. I am the wicked witch and have learned from my chickens
how to perfect the 'stink eye' when someone lets their dog do their business on my lawn.
Or dogs wander freely and mark my bushes.

#34 ·
I have never used a thermometer and have been raising chicks for about 25 years. For the last 15 yrs I have used a big plywood crate that one of my dogs came over here from Australia in. I hang a heat lamp and then check to see whether they cluster right under it (too high), or if they spread out to the far corners (too low) over a 12 hr period and then adjust accordingly - raise, lower etc. The crate is in the hay barn which isn't heated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.