Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Breeders in Missouri

22K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  KSmith89 
#1 ·
I'm a new member to the forum. My bf and I are looking for our first Doberman and have been trying to do our research. We're hoping for a red girl and taking our time finding the perfect one. Does anyone know of good breeders in Missouri (we're in the Kansas City area) or even Kansas?

I've been learning so much from forum thus far and thankful there is such a good forum available for Doberman lovers.

#3 ·
It is always the most helpful if you tell us what type of Doberman you are looking for. What are your goals for your puppy? Different breeeders have different goals for their breeding programs. Knowing what you are looking for will assist the members in recommending a breeder.

#6 ·
Welcome! I'm in California and we're thrilled to have you join us!

While I can't recommend a breeder in your area, I can alert you to one that -- IN MY OPINION -- you'd likely want to stay away from.

Amaris Dobermans, now known on the web as Amaris Midwest. They are located in Missouri.

Again, in my opinion, they are one of the worst breeders I've ever come across. I know, I have an Amaris Doberman. The kennel was originally in California and owned/managed by Brandi Canfield under the simple name of Amaris Dobermans. The kennel was then transfered to a location in Missouri and run by Gabriella Di Rossi for several years -- with a strong linkage to Brandi still established. It was during that period in which we bought an Amaris Doberman. Now, it is in Salem, MO (yet another location in 4 years time). They tout being established since 1979 (in what location???) and recognized as producing AKC Doberman Pinscher Trained Executive and Family Security Dogs. Yet they fail to mention they are producers of White Dobermans and known for their "Z factor" bloodlines. Even now, the gallery section of their web site reflects strong linkages to the Los Angeles area -- close to where Brandi resides. Yet they claim Brandi is no longer affiliated in any way with the name. *shaking my head*

I know the input is not exactly what you asked for, but I hope it helps you in your search.

#7 ·
I absolutely second this!! My first Doberman was from Amaris, and while I wouldn't have missed out on him being a part of my life, it was 5 years full of health issues with NO support from the "breeder" (except when she tried to sell me anoth dog).

Best wishes on your search.

Reactions: DobeMomToo
#12 ·
There are a couple small time breeders in the southeast Missouri area who have short-lived dogs with multiple health issues. I've seen 2 ads in the last year for 2 different ones and called. One (in Cape Girardeau, MO) told me their dogs were vaccinated against von Willebrands. The other (Marble Hill/Patton MO area) got angry and hung up when I asked if their dogs' hips had been certified and asked for their vwd status. I would suggest avoiding them like the plague.
Good luck in your search and welcome to DT.

#13 ·
Thanks

We are not interested in breeding or showing our doberman. We just want a companion dog. I appreciate your help on where NOT to go. We're looking for a breeder with healthy dogs with good temperaments. We really want to be able to travel to the breeders home as well to get a feel for the dogs personalities and learn about where they've been raised. The hardest thing right now is NOT jumping into anything. We're so excited and anxious but we're really trying to be patient to find the right breeders.

I'm glad to have found the forum and learn so much about the breed and be surrounded by such welcoming people. Thanks! :)

#14 ·
Welcome. This forum is a wealth of invaluable info and someone knowledgable is always willing to share their experiences. I know exactly what you mean about not jumping into anything: we waited close to a year for our first Dobe, Java (now 3) and she was well worth the longer wait. We were lucky enough to find a breeder who has been in the business for 20 years or so and who made it her business to know what kind of homes her pups were being placed in. If you find someone who gives you (what might feel like)the third degree, has you fill out a long questionairre and has you sign a contract giving her 'first dibs' on getting the puppy back should your circumstances change, trust me that is the best sign that you've found a good breeder.

Many DT members also also involved in Doberman Rescue - sometimes pups and young Dobes come into their system and need rehoming. This may not be the route you were thinking of pursuing, but it is an option. The sad fact is that with the mortgage crisis, dog rescue groups are swamped and even purebreds are entering the system.

Good luck!

#16 ·
Welcome to DT!

My only suggestion would be Walkaway Dobermans in St. Louis - they've been in the breed for over 40 years and have beautiful show dogs with impressive champion lines. My girl's sire is out of a Walkaway bitch.

Don't forget to also check out the DPCA breeder referral page: Breeder Referral - Official DPCA Breeder Referral Directory. As with anything, you'll want to of course do your research. Coming here is a great first step. Good luck in your pup search!!

#18 ·
We have checked out the DPCA Breeder Referral and looked at several different breeders on the list. We're keeping in touch with some so that we know when they'll have puppies available. Walkaway Dobermans also looks impressive and we will contact them soon. It wouldn't be too far of a drive if we can find a girl worth it. We've also looked at Kansa in Wichita, KS and they seem to have good quality dogs and i noticed someone has suggested them above.

Welcome. This forum is a wealth of invaluable info and someone knowledgable is always willing to share their experiences. I know exactly what you mean about not jumping into anything: we waited close to a year for our first Dobe, Java (now 3) and she was well worth the longer wait. We were lucky enough to find a breeder who has been in the business for 20 years or so and who made it her business to know what kind of homes her pups were being placed in. If you find someone who gives you (what might feel like)the third degree, has you fill out a long questionairre and has you sign a contract giving her 'first dibs' on getting the puppy back should your circumstances change, trust me that is the best sign that you've found a good breeder.

Many DT members also also involved in Doberman Rescue - sometimes pups and young Dobes come into their system and need rehoming. This may not be the route you were thinking of pursuing, but it is an option. The sad fact is that with the mortgage crisis, dog rescue groups are swamped and even purebreds are entering the system.

Good luck!
Javasmom, i can't believe it took you a year to find Java. I don't want to think about waiting that long for her but I'll do what I have to do. I also like the idea of breeders making us fill out a questionnaire. It may seem like a pain but we're working hard to find good breeders, so it only makes sense for them to question us on the other end. Plus, it makes me feel like they've taken a lot more pride in their dogs and genuinely want them to be well cared for.

As far as rescuing goes, we've definitely looked into it. There is a really good Dobe rescue in Riverside, MO not far from us. We are keeping our eyes open for purebreds in Riverside. From what I've read dobermans are a strong breed. It may seem silly but I am a little intimidated to get a rescue who may have had issues in the past that we have to rehab. Maybe it is selfish of me but I want to get more dobe experience with a dobe that I know for sure comes from good temperament so that it wont be so overwhelming from the get go. Then hopefully in the future we can look into rescue after we've gotten more personal interaction with the breed.

#20 ·
I would suggest Von Cosack Dobermann but my last litter of puppies would be 32 years old now. Some suggested Kanza I would second that. And if they don't have pups on the ground in your time frame , their advice in that area for breeders would be valid. Good luck & Read up.

#24 ·
Hi all,
I have been looking at this forum for ages now, and finally got signed up!
I am in a similar situation, I'm searching for Doberman for companion, and obedience training.
However I'm also interested in a doberman for their natural protection ability because I'm young and will be living alone soon. (yikes...) I don't want to do Sch. or anything I just want that natural protection instinct. I live in St.Louis MO and I'm willing to travel to neighboring states as far as Indiana.
I don't need a top of the line show dog- I have my whole life ahead of me to get a doberman that is expensive. Just looking for a breeder who is not "sketchy" but also reputable and legitimate. I've pretty much checked out every breeder on the DPCA list already. :)
Also I've checked out pretty much every breeder in MO- I just don't know who to trust...
ANY suggestions as far as breeders or anything at all--- i would appreciate! Thank you Thank you Thank you! :)

#26 ·
Also Looking for Reputable Breeder Near KC

Hello All,

My Dobe Max is eight now, and I'm thinking of getting a puppy to bridge the gap in the next few years. Max came from Kimbertal near Philadephia. Although I love him, I would NOT recommend them as a breeder. They are known for breeding overly large dominant Dobes. It took me a good three years to control him effectively. (Which, btw, was expensive and time consuming beyond any dog I have ever owned!)

KijahniKat

#27 ·
Doug and Jacqui Matson at Kansa Dobermans is a good place to start, Kansa Quality Dobermans

When looking, look for Holter and/or echocardiogram results on both parents. OFA hips and preferably elbows too. Thyroid and I like it when the eyes have been done on both parents.
Also vWD, don't be scared off by a carrier to clear breeding! Worst that could happen is you get a carrier puppy, it won't be affected by that status.

Not all breeders who buy ads on DPCA are reputable, and not all breeders who choose not to place a breeder ad there are lacking in ethics and reputation. Find some good possibilities, talk to them, get to know them and they get to know you, and go with the breeder you feel the most comfortable with personally all other things being equal!

Best of luck in your search, patience will pay off at the end of the day with the perfect for you puppy coming home!

#28 ·
Old Drum is in Missouri and Promise/Olympia is in Arkansas. I'd contact them.

And as you've found out, K'tal is a puppy mill.

Reactions: windamyr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.