Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Most popular Doberman names.

137K views 63 replies 59 participants last post by  pisces 
#1 ·
Very few registered Doberman names are the same as their "Call" name.

My first Doberman was called Sadie and over the years I have run into a lot of other Sadie's.

What name have you heard repeated frequently?

#28 ·
Hmm, having worked for a vet, and had my own grooming business, I can do this for multiple breeds--for some reason the male dogs' names are jumping to mind first:

Definitely "Zeus" for male Dobes, Apollo probably comes in second to that, then you have the descending order of "evil" names, with Damien being first, then Demon, Satan, and then the gun names.

For Chows, I'm always shocked if it's NOT named Bear.

For Shih Tzus, Gizmo for boys, Daisy or Sadie for girls, a few girls named Gizmo, as well.

For Schnauzers, there seem to be only three to four naming options available: Pepper, Gretchen (or Gretal), Max, and Hans.

For girl poodles, oh dear gawd it must be Princess. Or Sugar or Sweetie. Boy poodles are very, very often Pierre, or Cuddles.

Boy Chihuahuas are so often "Rambo," that if you yelled that out the door, at least seven would come running to you.

If you then yelled "Brutus" and "Bruno," you'd get all the rest of the remaining Chis.

Humans, so imaginative!

Edit--because how could I forget Max for GSDs?!

#32 ·
For Schnauzers, there seem to be only three to four naming options available: Pepper, Gretchen (or Gretal), Max, and Hans.
I must tell you this...

A friend of mine had a Schnauzer growing up (a miniature one I think) and of course, her name was Pepper. After Pepper passed away in her old age, her parents got another Schnauzer and guess what they named their new girl? You got it... PEPPER. :rolleyes:

Louis/Louie is quite a popular name for Dobes too, and for dogs in general.

Bella has recently become increasingly popular. We have several Bella's on DT.

I brainstormed names for months before settling on Thakoon. I wanted something very unique and if possible, I wanted to fit the call name with the litter theme. I had a pretty long list of ideas with a couple of decent candidates, but Thakoon was the name that hit me like a ton of bricks everytime I read it (or said it). I don't know of anyone, anywhere that has named their dog that; although, they are probably out there. Thakoon Panichgul's first ready to wear collection debut was 2004; he's still very young and was not well known until recently. At the moment my boy is the only Thakoon on Dobequest! :biggthump

I just recetly discovered he has a Dobequest page. I'm glad he's on there. Hopefully it will be updated as I help him become the best Doberboy he can be.

Thakoon's Dobequest Profile

It's funny how many people forget or mess up his name after I tell them.. I guess because it's so unfamiliar sounding to them. Whenever someone asks his name, I tell them "Thakoon.... Just like Racoon, only starting with a T: TA-****!" And many of them still can't get it right after that (or they forget), Usually middle-aged and older folks.

One of Thakoon's littermate sisters is named "Pony"and I think that's such a unique and cute name for a little Dobergirl. Cherie named her, in fitting with Mariah's "Designer Litter" theme. Pony is "Holmrun's Chulo Pony Braebrook." The other 2 girls are Coco and Ava. The other 4 boys are Amadeus, Louie, Vano (formerly Stalin; I think Vano is way better), and Gus. :)

#29 ·
Both of my rescue dobes came to me with names already mentioned in this thread. When we adopted Izmere, her name was Isabelle, which I thought was dumb, but not wanting to confuse her, kept her a name that could use the same nickname. Our other rescue, Demon, came to us with his name, but we kept it, since his name was the extreme opposite of his personality, and kind of funny. However, I don't think our puppy, Skwisgaar will be popping up on any "most popular names" list. :)

Names that haven't been mentioned here that I've heard a LOT are Duke and Duchess.

#34 ·
Hehehe, Megs, I admit, I've always pronounced him "THakoon," in my confused little head.

I don't follow designers, can you tell? I still always liked his name, just for its uniqueness--I like the real pronunciation of it even better :biggthump

Like I said, I've never run across another Mudshovel, either, but he does get called Mudblossom, Mudbucket, Mudslide Slim, and various other manglings--folks just can't seem to remember it. Once he got called Mudhammer--and when I corrected the (older) lady she said, "Oh. I knew it was 'Mud' and some kind of tool, just couldn't remember which one." I loved that, thought it was so funny.

I wish now I'd put more thought into Kylie's name--I still like it, but have seen a growing number of Kylies around.

#35 ·
I have a customer that names every red girls he has ever had Heidi, (has had 4 or 5 over the years) I know, I just shake my head and laugh. But he takes his dogs with him to work everyday and treats them like royalty at home and I can't wait until he buys another. His wife on the other hand calls her girl Whisper, which I think is a fabulous name.

#39 ·
I've seen a lot of "Beau"s. Also Rebel and Bama.. (I'm from alabama lol... we don't win the award for originality).

And I have seen a LOT of Bella's lately... wonder why that is.. Do you think it's part of the Twilight phenom?? I DID consider naming Zero Edward, so I guess I can't say anything lol.

#42 ·
"Furbabies" squicks me out pretty bad, fur kids a bit less so. Mom and Dad don't bother me a bit, though, at least in reference to dogs.

Now, married couples with kids referring to their spouses that way, ugh.

Reactions: thea2003
#44 ·
my dobes of past where

babe
shadow
zelda
mishka
tiffany
ace

and now I have a zeus.....I struggled with the name. because his reg name is angel in progress. I just couldnt find something to pull from it. I wanted to name him Ivan or olaf but my husband wouldnt go for it. so I went zeus......but I never call him zeus. we call him zoo zoo said quick together ha! now how many dobermans do you know of called zoo?

other names of dobes I know

gabe
corky
dessie
cruser
sam

#47 ·
I saw my puppy's name pop up in a couple of the most popular lists ... Ruby ... but it just suits her SO well. We knew it was popular, but can't imagine her with any other name.

I particularly love her registered name though.... My husband came up with it -- "Taylor's Thank Heaven For Little Girls" hehe. We have a couple of wild n'crazy male Leerburg GSD's, so she added a MUCH needed touch of girlie sweetness to our pack :)

#56 ·
I beg to differ :) my Vizsla's is named Diablo, or the "Little Red Devil Dog". He received that name 11+ years ago and has earned it....

on topic
I agree with those who have already said:
Greek Gods/Goddesses

Additional Names I've notice more of:
ROCKY (there are currently 4 at the rescue, known as Rocky,1,2,3)
DANTE or DONTE
and
BELLA for a girl (no thanks to that crap called Twilight)

#51 ·
Isis

My Dobergirl is Isis. Just thought she was so regal and reminded me of the Egyptian Queen...or princess.....>? Or something. lol
BUT, my next door neighbor ALWAYS has a Boston Terrier.....since we have lived here....23 years...he has had 3 "Alberts", one Ricky and one Henry.
I am forever getting their names mixed up....I'll say..."oh look, there's Ricky..." but it's Henry/. So who the heck can tell them apart? Not fond of that breed anyhow. :) :nana:

#54 ·
Gretchen seems to be a popular doberman name.

I haven't met another Khal Drogo :)
My cat's name is Bad Disco Kitty and my JRT x is Charlee, after my riding instructor when I was a kid.
I had a Trigger, after the horse, and his sister Dale.

My rabbits names were Alice and Cooper, and my daughters guinea pigs are always named after food/drinks.
We have had a Milky, Twix, Zinger and Whopper.

My daughters' middle names are Iverson and Dean...we try to be a little different!!

#57 ·
Well, even though this is an OLD thread, I still don't see my girl's name. I mean, how many dogs do you see named "Ilka"? Okay, maybe in Hungary, it might be more popular, since it's a Hungarian name...

Reactions: Darkevs
#58 ·
I will throw it out that I have seen Harley for both male and females and it seems like Kimber is really becoming a popular name. K's sister is Kimber and I know several other who have recently gotten Dobermans and named them Kimber too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.