Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Attention World Dobermann Breeders

10K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  Amelia_ 
#1 ·
My dear fellow breeders

Posted: September 19th, 2013

I believe that now and for years back all of us had felt the need to express our opinion and to struggle for the well being of our beloved breed. Most of the things were already spoken of and about, yet a little has been done, so both our Dobermanns and we as breeders will be billed with a hefty price. Today the moment has come, more then ever before, for us to stand united and provide to each other a strong support, especially after recent unilateral decision by the IDC council, that becomes effective as of 1st of January, 2015 and upon which there would be no possibility to have docked and cropped dog and have it displayed on any show so the years of our work, blood, sweat and tears will be violently dismissed, all in the name of the decision in which we did not even participated.
Therefore an idea is being born, an idea about forming an international Dobermann breeder’s club. It will not be some obscure, illegal or parallel organization, but simply a club of renown and recognized breeders, the ones that are ready to use any and all means of democracy as well as the right to confront through debate, and if necessary to fight for the well being of our breed. This would be the starting point from which our voice would be heard by the ones that are managing the breeds’ beneficial organizations.
Who knows the breed’s problems better then us and who can advise and who is the one who could and should protect it? Surely, there has got to be the way and the time to get together and meet, at least on more important shows. For now, we need membership, ideas and advices by all of us, so we could do something before it’s too late.

Thank you. We ask you to join us in a single easy step.

Sign in your name and your kennel’s name on the form posted in the link given below.

World Dobermann Breeders My dear fellow breeders

I know some of you might say this is a pet dobermann forum but the problems we are facing is universal...today to us in Europe, tomorrow for you guys in the States..
So if you are a breeder and against this standard change, please show your support by signing the petition.. and distribute this form as much as you can.

See less See more
#54 ·
Or, for that matter, I do believe most of the breeds that have dropped are not only on the larger side, but also expensive compared to other breeds not only to buy but also to own. In the failing economy, less families have thousands to drop on a dog purchase, and even less have thousands to spend on the extra food, care, and training that a large unhealthy breed might require (like dobes, for instance).

Because of that more people are getting apartments and rentals, which often also restrict breed based on reputation or size, compounding things more...

#57 ·
With the UK stats as well, there was also a mad rush to get a lot of litters out before the docking ban came into place when it was announced, so there was a large increase in litters.

Some people did leave the breed, but I don't believe the drop in numbers was purely due to docking ban as others have quite rightly pointed out there could be quite a few reasons registrations dropped. Some of my suggestions might be:

In 2008 'Pedigree dogs exposed' was released, which in my opinion had a huge impact on the public perception on pedigree dogs, making a lot of the public in the UK against the kennel club, pedigree dog breeders and showing. Sales of mixed breeds have sky rocketed and to the majority of the public, an animal being registered is just not important.

There was the recession making showing and buying expensive dogs out of reach for some people. Rising fuel costs making fewer people go distances to different breeders.

Loss of interest in the show scene, paying lots of money to get a piece of card.

Dobermann health issues making people move to other breeds.

And who knows what else!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.