Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Albino Dobermans? Can someone please enlighten me?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Sinister 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I wasn't sure which one to post in...

Anyway, I was on YouTube browsing videos of Dobes and came across a video of a "white" Dobe bitch and her puppies. The video was posted by a woman that breeds "white" Dobes. She says her dogs are cream/white, NOT albinos.
So my first question... is there a difference between cream, white, and albino, when it comes to Dobes? I always thought the only coat colors were black/rust, red/rust, blue/rust and fawn/rust... and of course the albinos. I never knew there's also "creams" and "whites"? IS there?

Second question, are albinos really riddled with health issues to the point where they absolutely should NOT be bred? I read online that they have tons of issues. But on a different YouTube video, someone said breeding albino Dobes is no different than breeding Bulldogs. They said Bulldogs have breathing issues and can't even whelp naturally yet people still breed them, so why is it a big deal that albino Dobes are bred?

I wasn't sure what to make of all that. If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it..

#4 ·
Albinism in dobermans is a big issue those even carrying the gene to produce albino pups are usually not bred to prevent the birth of more albino pups. Fact: albino dobermans tend to have many health issues and should NOT be bred under any circumstance. But stupidity is still out there....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Yes all albinos, all have red eyes in the dark when the light hits them right. All have behavioral issues and another interesting bit of information I found. I will look later for the stats, kinda doing a fly by right now. But of all the albinos registered, which has increased, only 2 or 4 has ever titled in anything. I sure would like to get my girl's behavioral issues under control so she can title in something, maybe snuggling?

They are beautiful, smart, great coats and markings, hyper, fearful, reactive, and very VERY persistent! Focusing that onto some kind of sport would be great except they can't see worth a crap outside and not many are done inside on a regular basis. But she does know how to lean, wiggle, moan, back talk, and love!

Here are some pics of her. She is cute, and I wouldn't trade her for anything (well almost anything <w>), but please don't get one.

http://photobucket.com/albums/ag127/calamityshuckleberry

#11 ·
If you wanna get one, educate yourself on their "special needs" and RESCUE!

#15 ·
I have a very well bred working bitch, and a recently rescued alby girl. She's the creamier color that albinos can "come" as. She's actually related (very closely) to Hades and Calamity, who's owners posted in this thread.
She's definitely special. Sweetest thing in the world, smart, and ridiculously affectionate.
She suffers from being photosensitive, sun burns very easily, easily nicked skin, and she has vision problems at 9 months old. All "white" and "cream" Dobes are ALBINOS. Unfortunately they shouldn't exist, but still are Dobes in nature with that genetic defect.

I have had many people telling me how gorgeous she is. I constantly tell them that albinos have ridiculous problems, and if they want one, to only rescue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.