Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Breeders in Dallas, Tx

10K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  MeadowCat 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I am looking for reputable breeder in the DFW area.
We are husband/wife, 3 cats and no kids.

Ideally we would be looking for a breeder who specializes in puppies that have a low prey instinct if possible.

Is there a temperament difference between a boy and a girl Dobe?
We are not looking for a "show" quality doberman Pup, we just want to ensure, as best we can of getting a healthy, good tempered family one.
Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome from houston!

Everything you want in a puppy will come from a show breeder who titles and health tests :)

There are a handful of great breeders around Texas, are you willing to travel outside of your city? There are pet quality puppies in every litter. A responsible breeder will be able pick the right puppy for your lifestyle and support you throughout its life.

#4 ·
Thank you so much.
Yes, we are willing to travel around the state to find the right one for us. If you are suggesting Houston, then that would not be a problem. It would give me an excuse to visit some family! Lol :roflmao:

You mentioned titles. excuse my ignorance and unfamiliarity with the correct terms, but what does that mean?

#3 ·
There are some smaller breeders in Dallas that you can get a nice puppy from. We have a Doberman club meeting the third Tuesday of the month that is a good opportunity to meet some of them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
Titles can be in conformation (how well the dog matches the standard of perfection) or in companion and/or performance events (obedience, rally, schutzhund, etc.) Good breeders title their dogs. This is a list of some of the titles that are out there. Title Abbreviations - Exhaustive List! - Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Don't believe anyone who tells you that "titles don't matter". Frequently, it just means that they don't show or compete with their dogs, just breed them.

#8 ·
Here is the club website.
http://dpcd.org/

If you are willing to travel to Houston, Alisa Brotherhood of Touchstone Dobermans will likely be expecting a littler in the summer. I have a girl from her that coexists well with my cat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
I don't know how soon you are looking to get a puppy, but there is a couple of dog shows coming up in the area. The first is in San Marcos on February 16th and 17th, and the second, bigger show is at Will Rogers Memorial Complex (same area as the stock show) in Fort Worth from March 22nd-24th. There is actually a Doberman specialty on Friday. :)

Shows are great places to meet breeders in the area, see their dogs in person, and see their temperaments in person.

#10 ·
Welcome! I actually have never met or heard of a Doberman with a low prey drive. If you are worried about your three cats, you are spot on. You will have your hands full training a Doberman puppy not to chase and/or harass three cats. There will be lots of DAILY training involved as well as plenty of socializing effort in order to end up with a well-balanced well-behaved dog. Why do you like this breed? What expectations do you have of your Doberman? You know that Dobermans are "working dogs", right? That means they need a job and if you don't give them one they will invent their own "work"! Just throwing out some food for thought. It's important to realize how extremely active, intelligent, and demanding this breed can be BEFORE you get a puppy.

#11 ·
Here is a video of my Dobe from Alisa Brotherhood and my mom's cat. He is literally sulking the entire time because the cat won't play with him. I got him at 5 months and never had to do any work with him and the cats, he has always been submissive to them.

Cat Punks Doberman - YouTube

She breeds very nice dogs.

I second and third the suggestion of going to shows to see these dogs from different breeders in person, you might like a particular look over another.

#12 ·
I am fostering a low drive dobie right now. DFW has one of the bigger rescues in the US. We normally have about 20 dogs at any given time. We don't have any puppies but do have alot of 2 year old dogs. Rescue Dogs Also if you are looking for a puppy local. I would say may want to go to some of http://dpcd.org/ meeting they have monthly. They have a world of info like trainers that know dobermans. The people to go get ears done. The rescue can help you with alot of that too. If you want to see some dogs come out on any Sunday to just ask question and take a look. A lot of the rescue member are also DPCD members.

#14 ·
Welcome!

You've come to the right place, and you're asking the right questions! It's quite wise of you to look for a puppy that's healthy, stable, and a real member of the Doberman breed. Read up on what makes reputable breeders "reputable." Good breeders are custodians of the breed. They don't breed their dogs solely to make puppies for prophet; they care about working toward the most intelligent, loyal, and true-to-form member of the Doberman breed.

In order to prove that their animals are great representatives of Dobermans, they put them through different physical and mental tests. These can be traditional conformational dog shows, athletic events, or feats of mental prowess and obedience. The best members are selected for special recognition, giving them merits of achievement, or titles. These are the winners.

Like others said, if a breeder tells you that titling is not important, they are wrong. In order to be a good representative of the Doberman breed, this needs to be shown and judged by an expert in the breed. Remember that the Doberman is a breed developed by human involvement like all dog breeds are, and it is our duty to protect it and better it. To let dogs fall ill to horrible diseases and temperament problems is a travesty for us as custodians of these animals we created.

That said, these great breeders often have puppies in litters that are not destined for the show ring, but they are still fabulous representatives of the breed. These breeders give a lifetime of support and advice, a healthy dog (though this is never guaranteed), and a great start in life and a background to prove it. It usually takes a longer period to get one of these puppies, and the breeder will want to develop a relationship with you, but this is all worth it.

Anyway, stick around, and read as much as you can. There are some amazingly knowledgeable people here at your fingertips!

#15 ·
i believe the temperament of your pup will really be based on your efforts of socialization, training, type of environment and leadership. the temperament of the pup's mother/father/grandparents will be inherited (assuming they are all around when the pup is born), since a pup will spend most of its 'socialization weeks' watching and learning from their mother, so they usually pick up on what she does or other dogs the pup is exposed to. but it's ultimately up to you.

here is a (paraphrased) comparison of male vs female. this is not written about dobermans, but i feel like it applies to most breeds. i would say this is more of a 'personality' comparison rather than temperament comparison.

males are usually more affectionate, exuberant, attentive and more demanding of attention. they are very attached to their family or person. they tend to be more loyal, reliable and less moody. they are more outgoing, more accepting of other family pets and take quicker to well behaved children. most boys are easily distracted during training, as males like to play more often no matter what age. he is more likely to act silly and more puppy like, always wanting to play games. boys are fun loving until the day they die. females tend to become more reserved or dignified with age. while the female will usually come to you for attention, when she's had enough, she will go about doing her own thing; while boys are always waiting for your attention and like being around you all the time. if you move rooms, they do, too. the female loves you and the male is in love with you.

#16 ·
Unfortunately, this type of response serves to perpetuate the generic dog fallacy. Real Dobermans are hard wired with certain definite behaviors. I do realize that not all Dobermans have these and some do fit the generic dog, but that is not the way it should be. These behaviors may be modified somewhat by the owner, but a Doberman with stong character will always display their innately bred character to a certain degree. It is apparant that you have probably not been associated with any working dogs. If you start with a dog bred from high drive bloodlines, it is unlikely you can turn them into a low drive lap dog. If you get a low drive Doberman puppy, it is very unlikely you can turn it into an effective working dog.

It is the old nature vs. nurture argument, but it is difficult to change the inbred drives.

#17 ·
A huge amount of temperament is inherited. While you can modify genetics through socialization and training, you are always starting with a particular set of genetically inherited traits.

Reactions: jmradcliff
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.