Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

When to pass on a walk?

1K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Mikemontreal 
#1 ·
At what temperature do you decide it is better to stay in? In CT my phone is telling me it is 12(F) but it feels colder with the wind. My dobe Armani is ready to go. He has a lined fleece jacket, with a vinyl outer shell. It is not overly thick, but looks warmer than my northface fleece jacket. I can put enough layers on to keep myself warm but am concerned for his comfort.

Thanks,

#7 ·
We don't have sidewalks here and our plows suck, i totally forgot about mentioning salt! Good on you for remembering.

You could always buy the boots they have...if he'll keep them on :p

#15 ·
I brought mine for a 20 min walk at -5 Celsius and half way through the bottom of her back paws started bleeding. She's 4 months old. I think because her paws are so soft and she never ran or walked on concrete much that her paws never got tough. The joys of bringing up a puppy in the winter����

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
It could also be because of the salt on the roads. That cracks dog paws, which I can imagine is only more painful still by having more salt go in the wound.

#11 ·
I know what you mean! ******* has a fleece lined coat and she seems perfectly content outside. I have on leggings underneath my pants and a big sweatshirt underneath my Northface with my gloves and all that good stuff, and I'm shaking the whole time haha! It's only 16 (F) here today in Indpls, IN with a pretty good breeze. I didn't last long on our walk. I do worry about ******* out in this cold though, even when she is all bundled up in winter gear.

Needless-to-say; she got some new toys from the pet store and I've resorted to new "inside" games! Luckily, my houses floor plan is open enough that she can run around still!

#13 ·
I only took Lexi out this morning for about 15 minutes, maybe 20 max. Stayed close to home, which was a good call because she started to hold her feet in the air.

During the winter I put paw protector on her pads to protect from the cold and salt from the sidewalks. Although I try to walk her on the grass or in the snow.

#14 ·
My boy Armani is a BoneHead (said lovingly). He is so eager to go go go, that his paws would probably need to stick to the ground before he wanted to go in, I think (hope) he is wrapping up his doberteens (which have been awesome). But truthfully, this weather is reminding my 30/yo frame of the sport/auto accidents it has seen. Maybe we can hibernate today.

#17 ·
My husband takes ours out everyday, regardless of temp of conditions. It is a short walk about 1-1/2 miles. To protect feet from salt and frostbite, we smear bag balm on all pads and between toes. They wear a coat and also a snood to protect ears. They are always eager to go and don't seem to have any issue.

I take them down to the beach or dog park (nobody there but me in inclement weather). Again, they wear coats, snoods and have bag balm smeared on the pads of their feet and between toes. Oftentimes, I have to take the coats off because they run so hard in the snow that they get hot. LOL!

#18 ·
I cannot pass a walk, chase would get cabin fever. So, in order to make sure he is comfortable, he wears:

Two coats, covers the chest, back, neck, and hindquarters.
A snood, to cover his head and ears
Waterproof boots lined with fleece.

On occasion we see -40C, on those days we jog on the treadmill, or go to an indoor dog park, or the doggy swimming pool (heated).

#20 ·
Richter got a walk today and the temp was about 0 degrees F. He was in his fleece coat and a snood, and we kept the walk pretty short - about a mile, 15 minutes or less. He was fine. If I am able to bundle up enough to be warm, then I walk. My legs were pretty cold after 15 minutes so that was enough for us. Shanoa doesn't mind skipping exercise on a day like this, so she stayed on the couch :) Just be sure to protect their ears (cropped ears can get frostbite!), put a coat on them, and protect their feet from road salt if necessary.

#21 ·
Its -41 with windchill today... no walk. Yesterday my eyes were watering and tears freezing to my face and we still got a good 15-20 minutes of walking done.

The weather is supposed to ease up by the weekend so at least it wont be too long. We play fetch and train indoors instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.