Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

How to: run with your Dobie!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Herb2relax 
#1 ·
I have a question, and I'm hoping that some of you have either seen this before or have some ideas to stop it!

I would like to take Loki out with me on runs when he is old enough, however at the moment, if I even move too quickly away from him or jog a few steps on lead, he will chase me and grab a hold of my jacket/sweater/pants and hold on for dear life, as well as doing the whole shaking his head to kill the animal thing (which has resulted in a few torn items of clothing :( ...)

As I would like to eventually run with him, any ideas on how to curb this behaviour? Bribing him with treats doesn't even really get him off, although if I wanted to (or could manage to) get my hand IN his mouth he would probably let go, he has a fairly gentle mouth and doesn't want to HURT me. He just wants to catch and then never let me go/kill my clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
That's what I'm hoping, but just in case it weren't to just fix itself, I was hoping for some methods to stop it now and then when he's 18 mos be able to just start up no problems!

I'm definitely waiting to run with him, that's not an issue for me, I just would like to be able to walk quickly or maybe jog when I'm around him!

#5 ·
I know! So frustrating! 'Off' doesn't work, and really it seems like he goes into a sharky daze and nothing I say gets through to him until I have to basically growl at him to get him off! Even treats don't get through! I'd like to have some information/tips on how to stop him from getting to that point, and if he's already there, how to get him out of it... And THEN maybe doing that whilst moving quickly and getting him excited!

#6 ·
I really thought that by this age Juno would have quit. She will stop attacking when I stop running or jogging but its just so frustrating. We have her in Obedience training and they say we will get her to stop. I dont know what the plan is because they still havent adressed it. I have never had a dog do this before. My senior dobie just ran right with me.

#9 ·
Go to Youtube and google Kikopup Loose Leash Walking and you'll be given 4 or so great videos on how to properly clicker train your dog to walk properly. Murphy's a big puller as well, as well as a jumper as you described.

By using her methods has helped this to greatly improve, namely because he now knows how to walk properly - which in turn will help him to run properly in due time. I think as he gets older and knows what you expect from him this should improve.

But, if you're working with a trainer that you trust than you should follow his/her advice. Consistency is key!

#11 ·
Desensitize and work under his threshold. If he slips and starts, step into him and tell him down (assuming he has a solid down). Flirt used to do that. I do agility. That combo won't work. I started SLOW. Walking a bit faster, a bit faster, a bit faster, the moving my arms funny, a bit more wild arms, etc.

You can use YES for a click.

#12 ·
Thankfully Kyrah never did that to me. I taught drop very early. When we would walk she would jump, grab the leash and play tug. I used it as training. I let her do it and would play tug then say drop it. Then start over. Then I started to add in leave it meaning we were not going to play that anymore and walk. Another thing I did with her playing in the backyard is to run and play with her and always had a toy for her to grab. I had stuffed toys out the ying yang to redirect her biting. I surely didnt want her thinking Cujo was a chew toy! LOL

An aquaintance of mine adopted a huge german shepherd. His name is Lurch weighs easily 110lbs and was around 2 yrs old. She said he would all of a sudden start jumping on them, barking and nipping when they went into the backyard and stpped off the edge of the carport into the grass. She and her children were scared of the behavior. My husband and I stopped by and sure enough as soon as I stepped off the edge of the cement and into the yard it started. I kept stepping into his space and finally I stuck my fingers down his throat. He didnt care for that very much and backed off. Then he went for my husband who with one of the sons had walked out to throw the football. He was about to throw it and here came Lurch airborne. Mid jump my husband pushed him away and he gave up his yard and went to lay down by the house. The owners were in shock! We told them you need to claim your yard and your space!

I know yours is a puppy and would definately try redirecting and desensitizing first. While I normally do try to use positive methods I will use a negative/avoidance if needed. If there is a behavior I feel needs correction immediately or one that may put my dog in danger I will use whatever method that works with the best results. Which sometimes is a correction and I try for the right level for the undesired behavior. I am not saying to hit/beat your dog by any means. One example for Cujo which I am sure some may not agree with. Is I put Kyrah's e-collar on him when starting the lawn mower which he loved to charge it, bark, growl and snap at it. One shock and he doesnt mess with it anymore. Kyrah went to bite my leg one time while we were playing when she was young. I didnt hit her or even yell at her. I used a very firm and deep voice and I am sure the energy I put off was one she hadnt felt before. I told her NO! What are you doing? Dont you ever try to bite me and was standing over her. She has never put her teeth on me again. So maybe I over corrected not sure. I let her play tug with the arms of my robe and it amazes me how she can tell as soon as I slide my hand into it and she doesnt bite down. She also stops when I say game over. I am working with Dexter now trying to let him know just b/c I am carrying the chuck it doesnt mean we are playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.