Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Doberman needs a home!

7K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  djbond 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am hoping that I have come to the right place for help here. I am in a bad situation with a female doberman that I just bought/rescued out of a bad situation this week. 2yr old female was a one owner pet, and the owner remarried 3 months ago and as soon as her new husband moved in he kicked duchess out in the cold. She was on a short chain for 2 1/2 months before I got her, she was filthy, her nails were almost an inch long, and the bottom side of her neck was rubbed raw from a big thick collar she had on the whole time, probably pulling at the chain constantly, trying to get free. This girl is beautiful, spayed, microchipped, AKC registrable, housebroken, and very docile but last night I was making a sandwich, myself, my husband, my son, and duchess were all in the kitchen and I dropped a piece of baby spinach on the floor. My 18 month old son is a big helper and he went to pick up the baby spinach and duchess slammed him to the ground and held him there with her snout growling at him. My husband and I are now afraid to keep her. I babysit a small child, and Duchess jumps over the gate that I have. I need to find her a good home, and everyone that has shown interest in my local area wants her as an outdoor dog. NOT HAPPENING, period. I rescued her from that situation, and I know from personal experience with my mother's doberman that they can't regulate their body temps well enough to be outside. I live in a very small house, and although I could sequester her to a back bedroom while my son is awake, that is no life for a dog. I am afraid to even let my son play in the same room as her now, even though that was the only time we have ever had an issue. She sits for her food, and I can grab her bowl in the middle of her meal with no problem, so I am just lost here. I need advice on what to do, or help finding a good (experienced) doberman lover to adopt her. I have all of her paperwork, and I would only ask to be reimbursed what I paid for her (less than most shelter fees, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post a dollar amount on this forum) She is a beautiful dog, but I don't want to live in fear of this happening again...

See less See more
#35 ·
Update!i found Duchess a home in Alabama. A retired couple who's Doberman passed away in 2011 and they have spent the past year fostering dogs, waiting for another Doberman to come along. I spoke with the rescue group in Alabama that they foster through, and they had nothing but wonderful things to say about the couple. They have no small grand kids to worry about, and the rescue has known them for several years, because that is where their last Doberman came from. We will be making the drive to Huntsville on Friday morning. I really do appreciate all the advice and support I have found on this page. You guys have really made me feel like I was doing the right thing. More importantly, Duchess will never again be chained up outside and forgotten, and my son and I can continue to search for the right dog for my family. We lost our senior dog in November and its been rough not having Freddy around, and then bringing in a dog who wasn't compatible with my son. Wish me luck!

#50 ·
Yay!!

Would you mind dropping the name of the rescue in Alabama you worked with? (PM is fine) I wasn't aware there were any Dobe rescues left in Alabama. Has Alabama Doberman Rescue been revived and I missed it? Of course, I know Bama Bully has occasionally handled Dobes and there are some all-breed rescues, was it one of them? Just would like to know! :D

#41 ·
Great news that you've found her a good home, and thank you so much for getting her out of that horrible situation.

Also I just want to add that the ability of this forum to dig up resources, contacts, and members willing to help out by transporting or otherwise making phone calls, sending emails, etc in order to help a dog in need - it never fails to impress and amaze me :)

#42 ·
RFR: Second, no--it is very rare indeed any dog with a reputable rescue would ever be in any kind of boarding/kennel situation.

Fitzmar: This is not necessarily true - the rescue I donate to does not have its own kennel, but does not have enough foster homes either. They have about 4-6 spaces at a local boarding kennel.... so some rescues are in a kennel as it is either that or being euthanized if they are not pulled. I think dogs would choose a good boarding kennel over being killed.

Perhaps you misread. That is why I did not say it never happens, but instead pointed out that the norm is a network of foster homes, not an actual physical kennel facility for the rescue.

OP, congrats on finding a home for her--hope it works out, and thank you for thinking of everyone's best interests in a difficult situation.

I hope you find a dog that works well with kiddos.

Reactions: dobedream
#43 ·
You said it was rare to find reputable rescues with kennels situations... while I tend to think it is pretty common actually. Foster homes are the ideal but there just are not enough of them. Some rescues have their own kennel - wish DVDPA did..... If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying them one!

#47 ·
DRU is an example

They have a large kennel facility and many dogs being housed and rehabbed there. Many of their special needs dogs are fostered, sometimes permanently fostered. I've known of many commercial kennels who take in dogs for different rescue organizations.

Kudos for finding Duchess a wonderful, forever home. You will be blessed with good karma for doing such a kind deed.

#45 ·
Glad it worked out. I am in Knoxville TN and train with A-k9. If you ever would like to come out and talk dogs, the trainer is a wealth of information regarding the breed and training. Hope your girl has found a forever home to love and spoil her.

#46 ·
I am so happy you have been able to place your girl. I wish her and you all the happiness in the world.

Please tell Duchess's new people about this forum, we would love to hear how she is going along and you never know, some of the folk here may be able to offer advice, support to them along the way.

Dobes are wonderful dogs and can in the right situation be heaven sent with regards living with a family. Your girl had a rough time of it, so please do not judge this wonderful breed by one mistake made by your girl. You never know another rescue or if you choose to buy an ethically sourced Dobe may fit in with your family one day.

Nosepokes from Toby to your Dobergirl.

#49 ·
I will tell the new owners about this site on Friday when I transport her down to AL. I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping everyone posted on how she is doing. And of course I don't hold this one incident against duchess or the breed in general. This is actually my third Doberman. My first experience with a Doberman was when I was 18 and my boyfriend at the time had the best and sweetest Doberman ever. He turned into an alcoholic about a year after we started seeing each other and sadly started beating my Roxie girl. We broke it off, and local law enforcement was unwilling to help me get her out of a bad situation, especially since she was never technically mine. So I formulated a game plan, talked with a local rescue who was willing to help me even if I did do some sketchy stuff, and I decided to steal her right out of his yard one day. I knew I couldn't keep her because I would get caught, but I don't regret what I did. She lived on a 40acre farm the rest of her days. She went across the rainbow bridge in 2010 at age 8. She had cancer that came on very quickly, but she went peacefully. My second Doberman experience was when I was about to move away from home so I purchased a red/tan Doberman to protect my widowed mothers house since she would be all alone. I trained him with my mother, and he is still living the high life at moms house. I think Duchess reminded me so much of Roxie that I couldn't help but fall in love with her. I will be adding a Doberman to my family when my son is a little older, maybe 5 or so. That way he can get involved in the raising of a young pup, who can grow up with him. All of you guys are great, and I can't thank you enough for the support! I'm going to post some pictures of duchess, and maybe later this week post some pictures of my moms boy. He is nicknamed Russ, but his registered name is Lazarus' awakening, because the first night I brought him home I discovered he barked loud enough to wake the dead!

#51 · (Edited)
Alabama animal rescue is the group that the couple has been working with, and that is who gave them the excellent reference. This transport is not through a rescue though. I found these individuals online and I told them I needed references, vet name and number, ect. Then they told me that they do volunteer and foster work through this organization and that I could contact the director, which I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.