Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New Member, My First Doberman.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  nianys 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is Destiny and I am 18 years old. I work for and with Tracy Oliver of Top Dog Talent Agency. If you watch for the Mercedes Benz commercial during the Super Bowl, at the 4rth quarter you will see a Doberman (Cletus) I trained in it. Cletus is owned by my good friend, I just trained him etc. Anyways, I absolutely adore animals and training them! I own a German Shepherd Dog named Riley and a Border Collie named Rex, and I am actually about to put down a deposit on a Doberman (local breeder). I am extremely excited! I also love dog agility, trick training, and disc!

I also have one question:

I was wondering if you could show me what the military crop, medium crop, and show crop looks like on a Doberman done correctly, and the one you recommend the most? I haven't yet decided which crop I'd like done, but I'd like opinions first.

Thank you for taking your time in reading this, and answering the question. :)

#2 ·
Hi Destiny, welcome to DT. Glad you found us BEFORE you put that deposit down!!!

A reputable Doberman breeder will crop the pup before sending him/her home, and a reputable cropper will crop according to the shape of the dog's head and not by some pre-set stencil, if you will, of length. If your breeder is leaving the cropping up to you that's a red flag! And I'm sure there are more warning signs.

We can point you toward great breeders in your area if you let us know where you are.

#4 ·
Hi and welcome to DT. As mentioned you should look for a breeder that looks after the cropping for you. IMO military crops look terrible on a Dobermann and show looks the best.

Let us know where you are and we can steer you in the right direction.

#5 ·
I have messaged Hilary. :)

I am in Lafayette Louisiana, though. Although I do like this breeder...He does seem to be reputable, I am hoping to go visit as soon as I get back to Louisiana though.

I want to go see the conditions, the sire and dam, as well as their temperament. I want to go look and see, and then go from there.

#6 ·
Thanks for your message, I have written you back!

Check out the links in this sticky: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...rst-helpful-breeder-breeding-information.html

This is a great place to start. Right now it's important to understand what makes for a reputable breeder. Many think that if the dogs look good, are nice, are clean and the breeder is kind and helpful that makes for a reputable breeder. But this is not the case at all.

TESTING! TITLING! The proof of their breeding is in the pudding. What are they doing to improve upon the breed? What are they doing to prove their dobermans are according to standard? Good breeders rarely have both the sire and dam of their litters. Typically they search far and wide to find the best breeding prospect. Just because someone owns two dobermans with working reproductive organs is hardly justification for breeding.

Again, rescue is full of great pups and that is always an option for you. You have not put any money down yet so take this time to do your due diligence before you buy! You owe it to yourself and your pup.

#7 ·
The other posters are correct in saying that a reputable breeder will take care of the cropping for you.

My guess is that your assumption is correct, this breeder is not reputable. The fact that he leaves the ears to you is the first sign but, another would be that both the sire and dam are on the property. This isn't unheard of with reputable breeders but it's not too common since not every male is the correct match for every female - therefore many reputable breeders find the match for their dog through other breeders. Also, I'm not sure that there are any reputable doberman breeders in LA (I could be wrong but I cannot remember any ever being mentioned). You may need to travel.

I, personally, would not go to "look and see." Puppies are adorable and hard to say walk away from regardless of it they look to be in good or bad condition. If you have doubts, and it seems you do, I would pass this breeder up and continue your search.

#9 ·
As a former breeder I can only confirm than your own stud is hardly ever the best possible match for your broodbitch. I used to travel to other areas of my country, and foreign countries as well, to use the stallion that I thought was best suited to any particular bitch.
That being said, maybe you're looking for a companion dog with healthy mind and body and a local breeder may provide just that. It also matters a lot to see in what sort conditions the dogs live, how sociable they are, do the pups get to be around children, other pets, etc.
In France cropping has been totally prohibited since 2004 I think, so it was not an option for us as I want to enter my pup in conformation and work events, but personally I'd go for an intermediate crop. I love the crop they do in the Eastern republics, medium length and with sort of an S curve to it, very attractive. I'm not so fond of the very long, American show crop, but as more experienced members have said, a good breeder will crop according to the dog's head shape...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.