Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Ringing the Bell! Woot!

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  ajp240 
#1 ·
I'm so happy to say that Grizzly is actually ringing a darn bell to go potty. :D I never thought he'd do it! My husband and I tied this stupid set of jingle bells to our back door about a week after we got Grizzly. I really wanted him to learn to ring them to go outside, but at 9 weeks old, he would just get freaked out whenever he would hear them and go running back into the kitchen. We left them there because we were too lazy to put them away, and wouldn't you know it, last week that little bugger started ringing the bells with his nose and then sitting by the door to go out! At first I thought it was a coincidence, because after they started scaring him, we really stopped using them. They did, however, jingle every time we opened the door...maybe that was enough? Anyway, a few days ago I let him out first thing in the morning before he even ate breakfast. Within two minutes of coming inside, he rang the bell. I thought he was messing with me or just playing, but he was sitting there so nicely...I let him out, and he pooped immediately. It was crazy! It wasn't even his normal poop time. ;) We've had no accidents in the house recently, and we've really only been letting him out when he "asks" to go, other than first thing in the morning, after food and naps, and after a lot of play time.

I feel like I've just won the damn housebreaking jackpot! Well, you know...until he has an accident in the house again, which I'm sure is inevitable. ;) But for now, I feel successful.

See less See more
#5 ·
Go Grizzinator! Good for him! Better for you.

My pup has been pretty solid for weeks now. No bell but she figured out how to open the door from the outside to get back in. (it's just a thumb lever and opens in)

She tries to open it from the inside using the same method but can't figure out why it won't work. So when I hear her rattling the door latch, I hop up and let her out. Echo is 4.5 months now. I have a feeling that the push/pull synapses will start firing soon. I'll have to start engaging the deadbolt. :) Smart dogs. Scary smart. Love them.

Congratulations on your success!

~Bev~

#6 ·
Congratulation that is wonderful. I never tried the bell since I'm afraid that Cleo would rip it off and eat it. Our housebreaking has been touch and go. He has never really asked to go out yet but since he's been battling loose poop the last couple of weeks we have been going out a lot just in case. He did pee in the house yesterday. I didn't see him sniffing but caught him mid stream so to speak. I must say I really love my Bissell Spot Cleaner :)

#8 ·
Congratulations!!
I am still in the midst of trying to get mine to go out consistently... he has less accidents but I feel like that is only because I watch him like a hawk. I let him run upstairs unattended last week and he pooped :(
Has anyone tried a hostess bell? That's what I've started using. It's the kind that sits on a desk and you ding the top of it for service :p Can't really swallow that kind~

#12 ·
Good for grizzly . It's always exciting when they catch on to something. My girl has finally got it when she needs to go potty she will run down the stairs to the basement and bark at the patio door till I open it then out she goes to do her business. She's 14 weeks and from 8 weeks till 12 weeks I had to carry her down those stairs because she was scared lol. I'm glad tat phase is gone . It's been 1 week since her last accident , and for some reason she never pooped in the house since we got her.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#17 ·
Oh gosh, we definitely won't have those bells hanging forever! They already annoy me because the ring means I have to get up from whatever I'm doing. ;) But they're nice for now because he's still learning. When we take them away, at least he'll have learned to go to the door. I'll take it!

Okay, and now I'm jealous of MeadowCat... I call shenanigans on this posting BS. ;)

#19 ·
How's Grizzly doing? I finally put the bells up on my door. Diezel was having a few too many accidents, even when I "thought" I had my eyes glued to him. I jingled them whenever we opened the door. Fingers crossed here, but it took him two days to do it consistently and no accidents in the house for 3 days now. I do have nuisance rings, but at night, he has to go out with the leash, so it "seems' to be slowing down a little.

#20 ·
That's great! :) Grizzly hasn't had any accidents since the day before Christmas. I don't think he's 100% solid on housebreaking, but we're close! He still rings occasionally when he's bored, but now I'll take them off the door for two hours or so once he's peed and pooped. He eventually stops trying to ring the non-existent bells, but he's right back to it once I hang them again. ;)

#24 ·
Well, if we want to nap on the weekends or something, he'd go in his crate. Even if he was sleeping, I'd put him in there. Grizzly's only about 18.5 weeks, so no free reign for him yet! I'd be too afraid he'd wake up and do whatever he felt like doing while I was unaware. ;)

#25 ·
Hooray! My pup taught herself how to use them too, it is pretty cool how fast they learn things eh? She now abuses the heck out of the bells, but I keep them up because she still tells me when she has to go out to go potty (or when there's a bird. Or a squirrel. Or a rabbit. Or a cat. Or she's bored...) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.