Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Big boy?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Kelsa 
#1 ·
My male doberman, Remi, just weighed in at 92 pounds. He turned 8 months old 3 days ago. Is this big for a puppy?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
He's probably over-sized, then, since he's most likely not done growing. Sire is definitely oversized. (ETA: or overweight)

From the official AKC/DPCA standard.
Size, Proportion, Substance
Height at the withers: Dogs 26 to 28 inches, ideal about 27½ inches; Bitches 24 to 26 inches, ideal about 25½ inches. The height, measured vertically from the ground to the highest point of the withers, equalling the length measured horizontally from the forechest to the rear projection of the upper thigh. Length of head, neck and legs in proportion to length and depth of body.

You got my opinion as an added bonus. :D

#6 ·
Congratulations on your new puppy and I wish you all the best in the show ring.

As an FYI the webpages for your pup's litter and both parents only list partial health testing and the sire is not yet titled and has been bred several times.

Considering cardio testing for neither parent along with other complete health testing is not listed, my fingers are crossed that it was done with normal test results prior to the breeding.

Here is a thread that discusses the term "reputable" http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

Reactions: Adara
#8 ·
I posted to reassure someone that some grow faster than others.

I came on here prior to purchasing the dog and all feedback for this breeder was positive.

At this point seeing he is over 8 months and the thread is about growth , I feel it was out of place to negatively comment on his pedigree.

I know his breeder really well and personally now along with the sires breeder, the grandmothers breeder and even the Silvas from Charleston his grandsires breeders.

I feel reasonably comfortable with why his father was not titled and again is not for me to defend or debate that would be that breeders job.

I will do all testing for cardio at the right times and I appreciate your opinions and well wishes. He is my first and I'm sure I will continue to learn and that's the point. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#9 ·
As you mentioned before you are newer owner to the breed I was trying to educate you on the health concerns with the breed and the testing that is recommended prior to breeding. Hopefully the websites are out of date and cardio and other testing was completed and there was no issue. Since YOU mentioned YOU felt your breeder was "very reputable" and you mentioned you are aware your dog is larger than standard, it was a fair comment to make for educational purposes.

The OP's question was is their dog big for a puppy.

Since the puppy the OP posted about and your dog (by your own admission) are both bigger than the standard posted previously, then yes, both dogs are bigger than the usual standard and the OP's question is answered. When the question is about a dog is compared to the ideal, it is fair to point how what the ideal is.

Again I wish you all the best and see you have been posting to gain more information on caring for a blue. I love seeing blue boys do well in the showring and hope you have fun showing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.