Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Soliciting my pup!

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  AlyssaN 
#1 ·
I was stopped by a man at the petstore the other day who coould not stop complimenting my Rou.

He told me he bred dobies, and when I asked that kennel he was with he told me he wasn't with any kennel, just liked the breed.

Everywhere I went in the store we somehow bumped into eachother.

He was blown away by how friendly my guy was - his old male was aggressive or so he said. He was looking to buy a "tan one"... all tan, no rust (which he referred to as tan as well). I guess when people tell me the rust is tan I have given up and just smile and nod.

He was looking to breed his female blue, and he asked how much a "beautiful dog like him" (Rou) would cost from a breeder... when I told him how much he WOULD have cost he was blown away! Seriously blown... He didn't think dobies cost more than $400.

And he thought all dobies were aggressive... and seemed very surprised by his personality... which I have never met a mean doberman.

Then he asked if he could buy him...

:mad: The nerve. Maybe he was joking... but I didn't find it amusing.

When the man finally walked away, I looked to a guy on my left who was looking at collars, and asked him If I handled the situation well. The kid was listening in the entire time and agreed with me- he works for a local rescue and understands how silly some people could be. I looked at him and we both agreed that people like THAT is where his rescues come from.

ugh... the nerve!

See less See more
#4 ·
I live in a brand new area of my city.

People stop their cars in the middle of the road to compliment/ ask about Alice. Sometimes they are truly just interested in her, as there are not many Dobermans in my city. Sometimes they are creepers and ask if she is spayed or once even if they could BUY her!! Both times I've been a ways from my house and really glad about that fact.

I'm sorry it happened to you and Rou. It's just unsettling :(

#6 ·
People used to do that when they'd see Levi as well. He was a stunning dog. No one ever offered to buy him though. Good thing. They spared me the chance of laughing in their face had they offered. I think it was because he was rather formidable in appearance to some, and he stuck to me like glue.

A few men have offered to buy Tessa or ask if she could be bred. She's spayed, but I think because she's red/rust instead of the more common black/rust, they seem to find her more desirable.

And ironically, I've had multiple offers for our Ben, the Boxer. One man haggled with my mom in the Target parking lot while I was shopping inside. He went up to a whole $300, but she said no every time. She's lucky because if she had sold him in the parking lot, I would've left her there. ;)

#8 ·
you know what is funny? In my 20 years of Dobermans, I've never had a stranger come up to me and ask to breed one of their dogs to one of mine - I must just exude a "don't you dare" look or something - ha ha - must be my "teacher" look or something that keeps people in line! I've had lots of complements at places like petsmart and petco and stories about their Dobermans. I don't generally talk about their titles unless people ask if I show.

#20 ·
you know what is funny? In my 20 years of Dobermans, I've never had a stranger come up to me and ask to breed one of their dogs to one of mine
I've had at least a handful of people ask if I was planning on breeding Red, and another 2 or 3 who asked if they could breed their dog to mine.

To which I shortly replied, "I'm a responsible pet owner and my dog is neutered."

The conversations never lasted long after that.

Reactions: ZeldaRules
#11 ·
When I had my Border Collie mix I was made offers. One that sticks out was one of the houses on my paper route. He first wanted one of her puppies and was very disappointed when he found out she was spayed. Then he offered to buy her. Not a chance. She was beautiful (think sable & white smooth collie with full collar, blaze, legs and tail end), she was very well trained, but with a few screws loose in the head (same as every other BC x Aussie Cattle Dog mix I've met here) and there was no way in heck I was going to let anyone have her. She was my heart dog.

#12 ·
I used to get it all the time with Quin (my chocolate lab). People wanted to buy him, breed to him etc etc. I got used to it, and just ignored it. I looked at it like a back handed compliment.

A couple of my friends have labs that came from his breeder, that's how much people loved him. My best friends dog is Quins son :D (My doggy "nephew", and she has willed him to me lol). Her and her bf always wanted to take Quin home, so I took them to meet his breeder instead and got them on his waitlist.

Try not to let it bug you, and just tell yourself it's just because your dog is gorgeous and people love him. :)

#13 ·
I had one person be very persistent. First, she asked me who my breeder was, then tried to offer to buy my dog after a multiple times saying no, she finally tried to give me her number just in case I changed my mind later and didn't want him... I take it as a compliment :)

#15 ·
I got it with my pit and I get it with Ahren, people have gotten pissed at me because he is fixed before- as far as the tan and rust- I think tan may be a dilution of rust- Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Ahren and blakeleigh- she is 2 or 3 (she looks like a baby by him) but in comparison she does look tan and black instead of fawn... That is the only justification I can think of...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#19 ·
I got it with my pit and I get it with Ahren, people have gotten pissed at me because he is fixed before- as far as the tan and rust- I think tan may be a dilution of rust- View attachment 19810 Ahren and blakeleigh- she is 2 or 3 (she looks like a baby by him) but in comparison she does look tan and black instead of fawn... That is the only justification I can think of...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
This man was set on an all tan doberman, no rust. I made sure I asked him if he wanted a fawn doberman (The dilution of red)... he thought about it and said "What is that?". He also had no idea that his blue was a dilution of black... :/

He had no idea about accepted doberman colors. I kept having to correct him, and tell min my dog was red and rust, not considered mahogany and tan. I did this in the nicest way possible, as not come off as "you sir, are ignorant"

From what he described, he wanted a mixed breed being sold as a doberman. Those Vizsla/Doberman mixes being pawned as dobies (because AKC will approve anything these days) it seemed. When I pointed out Rou's rust markings (doy... all dobies have them, or should) he kept shaking his head.

What is wrong with people?

#16 ·
I've had 2 offers to buy Reggie. One of them was for $20K. The woman kept persuing me at the dog park and even brought her husband and child. She finally understood that there was no sum of money I would part with my dog for.
Just an aside, I was at the dog park when we lived in a condo. They had a separate side that only 1 family (pack) at a time would go in. I couldn't let Reggie in gerenal population because he could be same sex dog aggressive.
Anyhow that woman was such an entitled princess used to getting what she wanted. She was quite angry when she realized money can't get everything!! LOL

#18 · (Edited)
I haven't had offers to buy, other than friends who were just joking around with me. I have had offers to breed both my males. "Hey, I have a female, and..." Those sorts of things. Even to my first Dobe, Logan, who was a 110 pound fawn, CDA, dog aggressive, hip displasia and arthritis BYB nightmare of a dog. I loved him dearly, he was sweet, great with people. But really, why would anyone even think he's breeding material? Sure, he was a love sponge and adored belly rubs, but there's thousands of dogs who are the same way. You breed to better the breed, to improve the health of it, and poor Logan. He was everything that could go wrong when someone failed to do that. But he was a good, good dog.

Thankfully, once I told the wannabe breeders that my dog was from the shelter and had already been neutered, the conversation ended. I did not have much success trying to educate people. Although, if I had time and they didn't have a dog for Logan to snarl at, I would use him as an example of why careless breeding is a bad idea. I should do that with Griffin more often, but I'm just not in the mood most of the time, especially since a lot of people around here don't want to listen.

#22 ·
I take Prime to our rescue meet and greets often and I get people wanting to adopt him ;p

I've had people tell me he would make beautiful babies. I've also had people want to buy him off me.

The stupidest one was when I was in petsmart with Zelda years ago and some trashy woman approached me and would not stop complimenting Zelda's looks. She seriously asked me if I could get her together with her male pit bull so they could breed and have beautiful puppies.

#23 ·
I've had more than one person ask if I wanted to breed Ilka to their pit, Rottie, or whatever. Or else, was I going to breed Ilka and Lucky, and if so, they'd like a puppy. :rolleyesww:

I've already been asked by some stranger if I'm planning on breeding Leo, and if I am, they know someone with a male they'd like to breed for a pick puppy. Short answer: "NO!". Long answer: "Not in THIS lifetime!". :D

#24 ·
I've never had anyone ask to buy Murphy off me.

I've had a few people ask to breed their bitch with him. Dobermen aren't very common out here, so it's always with a rottie, boxer, or something of the like. People insist they'd make sweet looking dogs. Sighhh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.