Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Meet our newest foster...Rixon!

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Rosemary 
#1 · (Edited)
This guy came to us as a local stray. After the last few tough fosters we were going to try to take a little break, but of course you know right when that happens I get a message "Doberman mix puppy needs foster"....crap. So...this is our very first dobe foster, as we volunteer for all breed and rarely get any dobes in at all.

However, when he got dropped off, the trainer who picked him up said he might be a min pin mix. He is estimated at about 7 months, but he is very small. Another idea that has been thrown around is cattle dog mix. He is only about 25lbs and maybe 18" at the withers. I will tell you one thing, this guy is CA-RAY-ZY! He is by far the wildest foster we have had yet, and the very first dog in history to be able to outlast Rowan in energy and stamina.

They get along well so far, but I always supervise carefully. Rowan has been very tolerant of him so far, but I could see this little firecracker getting on his nerves after a while. I am hoping that with some regular exercise and a little training he will settle down just a little because...WOW....not sure how he's going to get adopted otherwise!

Here are a few more pics and a video

Click to play:

Sorry the images aren't the greatest, but this guy does not stop moving and I haven't been able to take pics of him in the daylight yet.

Any input about whether he is really a dobe or just min pin mix would be appreciated. He has a little bit longer coat, the white spot on his chest and feet seem speckled a little and his ears are shorter and perkier than a dobe...but any of those could be accounted for by the mix breed.

ETA: When I played it back the audio did not match up, so sorry if there is something wrong with the video. I just wanted to give it for comparison. Rowan is about 85 lbs and 28-29" tall.

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks!
I see min pin ears, but who knows. :)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...but its so hard to know when it could be any breed!
Wow Rixon, (a.k.a. Rowan's new play toy), is really spunky! Enjoyed the video! :)

I would just separate them periodically to allow cool down periods.
Our Spock want's to play until he drops, but Eva will go to crate when she wants a break.

Rowan and Rixon are like having two Spocks together in the same house!! :lala:
Ha...yeah, it has been a circus around here the last few days. The only thing way he can settle is by being crated. I seriously worry that he is going to have a heart attack because he literally does not stop.

#4 ·
Wow Rixon, (a.k.a. Rowan's new play toy), is really spunky! Enjoyed the video! :)

I would just separate them periodically to allow cool down periods.
Our Spock want's to play until he drops, but Eva will go to crate when she wants a break.

Rowan and Rixon are like having two Spocks together in the same house!! :lala:

#8 ·
I think the color was the first thing that made people think dobe, but I don't know, with bad breeding its so hard to know sometimes. If he does have doberman in him he is def mixed with something smaller, and with his GO GO GO energy I can definitely see terrier!

WHat a little cutie! Does he have a scar on the bridge of his nose? I had a foster years ago that had a scar like that from being muzzled constantly. Hope he finds a home soon.
Thanks for taking him in.
It actually is a line of white hair, so I think it must have been a cut before. I'm not sure how he got it since he was a stray, but that makes me sad. I worry about strays from my area because it is not something really common, so I always wonder why isn't someone looking for them? With this guy's behaviors I would not be surprised if he "got away" and that was just the end of it. I hope no one was muzzling him constantly, but you know we have all seen worse. He is not really barky (knocking on wood), but he is bitey.

#9 ·
First thing I noticed too.

That's definitely a been muzzled for a whole lotta the days scar, or else a bitey-mouth-been-duct-taped-shut scar.

Sorry, I know that's sad to hear, SpecialK but I'd bet a hundred I can't afford to lose, on this one.

Keep in mind this is Appalachia, but I know so many dogs who, instead of being exercised and crate trained or baby-gated...instead get muzzled for ten to sixteen hours a day.

I also see him as a MinPin cross, possibly Decker Terrier but very MinPin-ish.

Cute little dude. Video kinda made me want him, but then I returned to my senses :p

#14 ·
I think we start to forget how crazy our puppies were, its like that amnesia moms get when they give birth. You forget how bad they were so you are crazy enough to get another! ;)

But in all seriousness, I just remind myself that he is just a baby and no one spent the time to teach him yet. When he becomes a little too much I give him (and myself and Rowan) a little crate break!

Reactions: RedFawnRising
#15 ·
Aren't they funny? Rowan really surprises me with how gentle he can be and how calm he has gotten in just the last few months. My little baby is growing up! And he is so tolerant with the foster pups, I really am proud.

Now SO has started teasing me with talk of getting Rowan a little baby sister....must...try....to....resist!

Reactions: RedFawnRising
#16 ·
Deckers are a particular strain of "big" Rat Terriers, AKA Decker Giant, AKA Decker Rat Terrier. They are a bit heavier boned and thicker bodied than a typical Rattie. There are other differences too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. I think my Lucky is a Decker/Standard Rattie mix. :)

Reactions: SpecialK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.